Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.10.1??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on 2020.4.1 for a fair few weeks now. 2020.4.10 appeared on the scene but it never seemed to go on general roll out

I would love to know the story of 2020.4.10 - first release that I have seen where they actually rolled cars back to previous release and not immediately issue a bug fix. 2020.4.10.1 took some time coming based on what I have seen in the past.

2020.8 is reported to be the next proper release, 2020.4.x just seemed to be a filler.

I suspect we'll never see an acceptable level of FSD in the UK with the current hardware. Our road layouts and traffic are quite complex and it appears that the software is a good way off, even if the hardware could handle it. There are also basic issues such as camera condensation which no amount of processing will overcome.

As a test, I tried basic autopilot to see how it coped with the main road through our local housing estate, bends a few parked cars etc. Zero chance at the moment, it was quite scary quite quickly. I know you aren't supposed to use it in this scenario but I thought I'd give it a go.

It copes on a steady motorway most of the time but even then there are some scary moments.

It will continue to evolve and maybe cope with more scenarios on less complex road systems, but I reckon we're several years away and with different hardware in the UK. Glad I didn't invest in the FSD option to be honest although it would be fun to track the evolution

Reactions: Bernard_S
I don't know if I also received a maps update at the same time or is this is part of 10.1 but the maps are looking better - zoomed in more and look like a refresh of the satellite images (at least for me in NJ). The car icon looks like it's whipping down the road. Other than that seems like bug fixes.

Anyone else see changes to navigation display?

There are never any map updates for the main screen maps. Those are real-time internet google maps. Any “changes” are generated by google’s map amendments, and they don’t reside in the car. However, the actual navigation is done with a separate interna; software engine, and shown on the smaller dash screen, plus overlaid on the google screen.

Me too! I'm anxiously awaiting the update that announces "Feature Complete" of FSD! Once traffic lights & stop signs and proper turns are taken care of, then we're about 99% "there". It'll be that last 1% of a millions of edge case scenarios that takes the most time to work through. The future feels amazing!

Unfortunately there's a LOT more to getting FSD feature complete than stop signs and stop lights. For one, merging is horrendous right now. Stop lights on highways IMO are going to be another problem as the camera can only see so far and if your driving 65 mph that light comes up fast.... I'm not looking forward to a sudden stop. From what I've seen it also doesn't handle roundabouts very well (partly because of the merging issue). Most things they can work through -- but it's going to be a while still IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
I think we'll see use of FSD smarts in AP before full FSD is ready. That would fix phantom braking at least.

Full FSD.. I'd give it a year based on current progress. It's verging n dangerous right now and that's on almost ideal roads with little traffic.

I think we'll see use of FSD smarts in AP before full FSD is ready. That would fix phantom braking at least.

Would it? My car brakes really hard on false alarms when neither AP or TACC are engaged. We recently looked at how driver assist features on other cars work, and whether they can be turned on and off, and a consistent theme is that "collision avoidance" comes on automatically every time the car starts. One dealer suggested this was a requirement now.

It's clear that phantom braking is a collision avoidance measure, just falsely triggered. MY car will always brake really hard if I drive past a particular road junction when there's a car waiting to come out of it. This is a full on emergency stop event, complete with the load alarm, but can be overridden by pushing the accelerator (something that's now become a reflex).

I haven't used either AP or TACC for several months now, but had the last severe false alarm braking event only a few days ago. I can't recall a single drive in the past few months where the car hasn't either braked hard, or swerved across the road, for no good reason, always accompanied by the loud warning sounds. I'm used to it now, so it's just become a bit of a nuisance, but my wife stopped driving the car because of it a while ago now. I think it's the alarm noises as much as anything else that scare her, as she jumps even as a passenger when it happens (we had three "events" on a trip to buy her a car at the weekend).

Status
Not open for further replies.