Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the seals look the same just the 2020 seals are stiffer presumably have thicker internal walls or a material change or both. I have a friend at work just got a 2020 m3 and have felt both side by side and the difference is very obvious to the touch. his car is also significantly quieter inside though there is no way to say if the seals is the only difference it is the most immediately apparent.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I just took delivery of my 2020 M3 PD3- in metallic blue, absolutely love the car!:) I previously had a 2018 LR AWD M3 in the same color. I noticed a few additional differences between 2020 vs. 2018, especially items relating to 3rd party accessories.

1. 2020 M3 gaps between roof glass/front/rear windshield glass are noticeably wider. My roof wind reduction kit no longer stays in place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z765JMR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 will not fit :(
2. Passenger footwell shape has slightly changed. Original floormats from EV Tuning now crimple up where the floor starts to slope.
3. Tesla's C2 connector behind center console has changed. If you have Coned's FleetCarma Rewards, you'll need a new C2 adapter. The old one won't work. see pics. The 2020 connector is blue and slightly larger, old / smaller connector is white.

Apologies if these were posted elsewhere. If anyone has suggestions for 1 and 2, pls share :) thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 268
I just took delivery of my 2020 M3 PD3- in metallic blue, absolutely love the car!:) I previously had a 2018 LR AWD M3 in the same color. I noticed a few additional differences between 2020 vs. 2018, especially items relating to 3rd party accessories.

1. 2020 M3 gaps between roof glass/front/rear windshield glass are noticeably wider. My roof wind reduction kit no longer stays in place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z765JMR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 will not fit :(
2. Passenger footwell shape has slightly changed. Original floormats from EV Tuning now crimple up where the floor starts to slope.
3. Tesla's C2 connector behind center console has changed. If you have Coned's FleetCarma Rewards, you'll need a new C2 adapter. The old one won't work. see pics. The 2020 connector is blue and slightly larger, old / smaller connector is white.

Apologies if these were posted elsewhere. If anyone has suggestions for 1 and 2, pls share :) thanks!

For #3 above, i just installed the Fleetcarma ConEd adapter last night for my 2020 M3P- and it worked with no problem, both lights on the C2 adapter glowed steady. I did apply for a 2020 model and they must have sent me the correct one.
#2. I bought a set of mats from Amazon and noticed the passenger floor mat exactly as you described, it would hang down from the top of the mat where the floor slopes up to the glovebox. Thinking of using velcro to keep that part in place.

the seals look the same just the 2020 seals are stiffer presumably have thicker internal walls or a material change or both. I have a friend at work just got a 2020 m3 and have felt both side by side and the difference is very obvious to the touch. his car is also significantly quieter inside though there is no way to say if the seals is the only difference it is the most immediately apparent.

My 4-week-old 2020 Model 3 sounds loud as hell (wind noise from the front of the car) at highway speed. Louder wind noise than any car I've owned in the last two decades...

One difference with 2020 vehicles appears to be how the 2019.40.50.x update affects the displayed range and the value of the master charging constant. This results in lower displayed rated miles for 2020 3P+ vehicles, at least, upon install of the update. Though the range appears lower based on the rated miles, it actually appears the true range has been increased over prior years, due to an increase in available energy. See below for details.

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

Agreed - my 2020 has a lot less road noise than my 2019.

Would be interesting to know the dBa numbers if they are any lower than 67-69 dBa in 65-68 mph. I know it might not be completely accurate but the NIOSH Sound Level Meter app should give an idea of the dBa level. Took delivery of my LR AWD in March 2019 and I think the road noise/rumbling from the tires is the most significant. Wind noise not that much.

would be nice if there were a new brand/model of tire that was quieter then the oem with or without the foam. also would be nice without the foam if possible since most tire shops won't touch the tesla with foam. i don't think i need as much traction and would prefer quiet vs slightly better traction and braking.

I have ordered a Model 3 LR Dual Motor with delivery set to Dec 23-36.

The sales rep that I talked to at the showroom mentioned that all cars manufactured in December will be made as a 2020 model year. She also mentioned that the new model could feature faster charging.

When emailing her again about more details, she said "There is not current public information on the 2020 model now. Only internal email".

I would like to know if anyone else has heard about these "faster charging rates" for the M3 2020.

Yes, I compare the charging speed to the my co-worker, it is a bit faster.
For him is about 25 miles per hour, mine is 27 miles per hour at charging point.

Also in the past, if charging at home by using 110/120v, it is about 3-4 miles per hour.
I am charging 5-6 miles per hour.

Ya that’s why it’s not definitive yet, but based on the certificate it looks like nothing has changed since the 2019 filing and the 2019 filing was only the single test. As well to reiterate a point in my other post the epa filing doesn’t prove anything one way or another anyway as the test is whole car no motor test is done. The EPA ratings are fuel economy based kWh/100mi this isn’t a measure of the motors performance potential for that we need a raw measurement from each motor in kW or hp at a static known input which isn’t in the EPA reporting or a graph of the kW or HP over a full input range

Moving this reply to @CMoZ to this thread since this is 2020 vehicle related, not really Acceleration boost related.

So, I found the definitive proof that the Performance for 2020 has greater range than the AWD 2020. The EPA documents have not yet been published, but the CARB has their Executive Orders which must be issued before sale of the vehicle, which include the drive cycle data for each variant. These are UDDS (Urban/City) cycle numbers; no highway test here, but they can be compared relative to prior data.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 12.07.06 PM.png

2020:
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2020/tesla_pc_a3740031r1_0_z_e.pdf
2019:
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2019/tesla_pc_a3740026_0_z_e.pdf
2018:
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2018/tesla_pc_a3740023_0_z_e.pdf

If you multiply these numbers by the 2-cycle to 5-cycle ratio of 0.7032, you will find the numbers sometimes match the EPA datafile, but there are some inconsistencies there. But it does not matter, really.

Extra Performance efficiency secured!

Yes, I compare the charging speed to the my co-worker, it is a bit faster.
For him is about 25 miles per hour, mine is 27 miles per hour at charging point.

Also in the past, if charging at home by using 110/120v, it is about 3-4 miles per hour.
I am charging 5-6 miles per hour.

A couple of factors here: If you're comparing vehicles with different 100% rated mile values with the same size battery, that means the energy per mile is different. So they will charge at different rates even with equal energy input. (But total energy into the battery per unit time and total charging time will be identical.)

The other thing is the charging efficiency. We don't know yet, but the 2020 vehicles may have slightly improved the on-board charger. This results in a better efficiency metric (more power into the battery for a fixed amount of power from the wall). If you squint really closely at the EPA data, you can make the argument that the efficiency may be a couple % improved over prior years. We don't have the documents yet to say definitively, though. That would make the charging rates slightly different, too.

Last edited: