Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 Performance Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thank you all for the quick response. I do have the performance upgrade with the larger wheels. There are days I feel it loses range faster than the miles that I drive :) I was planning to take the car for a long road trip across the border to Canada and my wife convinced us to take the ML350 instead due to the range. She didn't want us to constantly look for the charging station rather than enjoying the trip. :( .

For now, our ML will do the long haul and P3D+ will do the work commute.

Sadly, both you and your wife don't know what you're missing. The model 3 is the best trip Driving Experience we've ever had. That's even with the need for more frequent stops. The autopilot takes so much of a load off in long distance driving that you arrive without nearly the same level of fatigue. It will take you longer because you will have to make somewhat more frequent stops, but it's worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orwell
1600 miles is not very much time to realistically evaluate what your car's range will be. We are at about 6,000 miles and the range on our extended range, dual motor has been increasing! We drive more conservatively than most people, so we are generally at 235 Kwh per mile. That is a statistic available on the left side of your screen by swiping to the right and scrolling down. When I roll around town on errands, I make it a game to keep it under 20mph (as long as there is no one behind me) and have made 5-mile round trips using only 185Kwh per mile. Under that scenario, the car will tell me our range is 340 miles! Of course it isn't, because it is only using the latest data. We tend to leave the car charged at around 65% unless we have a long journey. Our calculated range increased after we charged it up to the full 100% and ran it down into the low 20% range a couple times on a 700 mile trip. So the car is constantly gathering statistics and recalculating the range and basing it on average data, how you've been driving and what it knows about your charging history. I'd say don't worry about it unless you've charged it up to 100% and it tells you only have 290 miles.

It's a Performance Model 3 with PUP, but replaced the OEM 20" Anchor wheels with the OEM 18" Aero wheels.

So the 18" Aero wheels make it stealthy, but it has the red upgraded brakes and spoiler, so it's not fully stealth...

Which makes it Semistealth! Badumtsss!

Did you have to modify anything to get the OEM 18" Aero Wheels to fit over the rear brake calipers of the PUP ?

1600 miles is not very much time to realistically evaluate what your car's range will be. We are at about 6,000 miles and the range on our extended range, dual motor has been increasing! We drive more conservatively than most people, so we are generally at 235 Kwh per mile. That is a statistic available on the left side of your screen by swiping to the right and scrolling down. When I roll around town on errands, I make it a game to keep it under 20mph (as long as there is no one behind me) and have made 5-mile round trips using only 185Kwh per mile. Under that scenario, the car will tell me our range is 340 miles! Of course it isn't, because it is only using the latest data. We tend to leave the car charged at around 65% unless we have a long journey. Our calculated range increased after we charged it up to the full 100% and ran it down into the low 20% range a couple times on a 700 mile trip. So the car is constantly gathering statistics and recalculating the range and basing it on average data, how you've been driving and what it knows about your charging history. I'd say don't worry about it unless you've charged it up to 100% and it tells you only have 290 miles.

Ooops! That should have been Wh (Watt Hours) per mile, not KWh. But otherwise, yes, range isn't a problem when you adjust and slow down and enjoy the journey a little more.