Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 Performance Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2020 model 3 performance with FSD on December 31st. I have driven so far 1600 miles, primarily commuting to work. I get a range of only 236 miles on 80% charge. But I don’t think I get anything closer to that either. My driving habits are decent. Have temperature at 65 degrees, fires at 42 psi. Regen standard..

I see that model 3 performance is rated at 322 miles .. ??

what am I missing? Appreciate any thoughts.

Reactions: bcpm3p
I got my 2020 model 3 performance with FSD on December 31st. I have driven so far 1600 miles, primarily commuting to work. I get a range of only 236 miles on 80% charge. But I don’t think I get anything closer to that either. My driving habits are decent. Have temperature at 65 degrees, fires at 42 psi. Regen standard..

This thread Tesla Official Statement on Range for starters.

Also, unless you have a 2020 model 3 performance without the performance upgrade (meaning you have the 18 inch wheels) your car is rated for 299 miles. Configure one right now on teslas website and see.

• Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p
thank you all for the quick response. I do have the performance upgrade with the larger wheels. There are days I feel it loses range faster than the miles that I drive :) I was planning to take the car for a long road trip across the border to Canada and my wife convinced us to take the ML350 instead due to the range. She didn't want us to constantly look for the charging station rather than enjoying the trip. :( .

For now, our ML will do the long haul and P3D+ will do the work commute.

thank you all for the quick response. I do have the performance upgrade with the larger wheels. There are days I feel it loses range faster than the miles that I drive :) I was planning to take the car for a long road trip across the border to Canada and my wife convinced us to take the ML350 instead due to the range. She didn't want us to constantly look for the charging station rather than enjoying the trip. :( .

For now, our ML will do the long haul and P3D+ will do the work commute.

You are absolutely "losing range faster than the miles you drive". The TL ; DR (too long, didnt read) version of why that is, is that your watts per mile (wh/mi) is higher than the constant used for that rated miles number, and is even more so in the winter. This is all as expected, and there is nothing wrong with your car. You will not get 310, or 299 driving a model 3P in the winter anywhere, even someplace as temperate as where I live which is southern california.

This does not preclude you from taking a trip, unless you want it to. Most people do not drive 4 hours at a time when in the car with spouse / girlfriend / boyfriend / kids before stopping.

You will get a solid 220-250 miles in your model 3P for a trip, and that is around 3 hours of driving on a trip. By that time you will likely be stopping in any car you take anyway.

Hard to believe that PA has been averaging 65F.

But even at that point, battery capacity will be reduced. For the cooler months, expect to see a 30% degradation in range. (which seems pretty much on target for you).

To see how much you are using, ONLY look at the energy graphs.

Wait until the summer to worry about your range. And even then 70+ mph driving will start dramatically reducing your range.

Reactions: TorukMakto

But even at that point, battery capacity will be reduced. For the cooler months, expect to see a 30% degradation in range. (which seems pretty much on target for you).

Wait until the summer to worry about your range. And even then 70+ mph driving will start dramatically reducing your range.

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the temp he keeps the cabin at.

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the temp he keeps the cabin at.
yes, i was referring to the cabin temperature..

How's this for range and efficiency? I think I would have hit 300 miles had I kept going.

This is with a Semistealth Performance Model 3 with PUP.

Attachments

• 20200219_003030.jpg
    20200219_003030.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 142
Just be thankful you got the long range car.
Even though I never get the published range and never will, I get enough range that with charging at home and the Super Charger network I look at my range gauge much less than I used to look at my fuel gauge.

I still dont know what a "stealth semi performance" is.... I see a car with 18s, and what appears to be red painted brake calipers, a spoiler and a front lip.

The "performance" part of the performance cars is 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (with 1 foot rollout). The spoiler, brakes, and tires are part of the "performance upgrade package" or "PUP". They do not make the car a performance one, they add the performance upgrade package to a performance model 3.

The lip, brakes, and rear spoiler dont make a car "performance" so what is a "stealth semi performance"?

Did you take a performance car and put 18s on it, over the brakes or something? I am just confused as to what you mean.