Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proper time to check PSI.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla, new to Model 3. I haven't had to fill the tires yet. I presume EV's are more range sensitive to proper inflation hence I am asking the
brain trust here. Disclaimer, I know proper inflation is important regardless of what you drive.
My question, When should I check PSI?
When cold, or after my 50 mile commute to work?
I am sitting at 37 PSI all the way around, car asks for 42 PSI. It would appear the drop is due to the colder weather and the air condensing.

Thanks for your help people of the internet ;)

Cold, before the sun hits the tires. The tire pressure should never go lower than the recommended pressure. So if you drive to work dark and early while it's freezing outside, your tire pressure should be set properly at those conditions before starting your drive. Tire pressure will rise 3-5 psi throughout the day and drive, and this is fine and normal.

Accounting for sun exposure is important too. With the sun hitting one side of the car and not the other, you will see roughly 2 psi higher pressure on the sunny side. This is why it is important to park the car where all tires will be shaded when you come out in the morning to set the pressures.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
I check/adjust in the morning before I leave for work.

42psi is current guidance while 46psi was older guidance. I have been using 44-46psi with my different brand tires (they are more compliant than the Michelin MXM4, so the extra pressure doesn't make the ride too rough).

Our weather swings here between 40F and 70F right now. So with 44psi minimum, a colder day doesn't bring the pressure below 42.

I think once you get below 35psi is probably a bad place to be. So no need to worry if you are a little below 42.

Reactions: Lance From Jax