Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 switched 12V source already used *need alternative*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my 2020 P3D+ last week. I've been slowly doing some work on it and ran into a snag attempting to hardwire my radar detector. According to threads on here, and the YouTube channel Ingineerix there is an unused 12V switched power source behind the drivers side kick panel. Apparently that is no longer the case as that source in my new Model 3 is being used by something else. I don't have enough dexterity to get tools up there to tap into the red wire and don't know if I want to not knowing what it powers.

Cvip0DV.jpg

Any other ideas?? I'm already worried about a speeding ticket since I quickly don't realize how fast I'm going in this thing.

Thanks!

Obligatory pic of the new ride. Loving it other that this issue!!!

OapMaEq.jpg

If I remember correctly it is for a trailer hitch. My guess is that it now goes to a harness that is now pre-wired on your car.

My bet is you can pull it out with no issues if you don't use a hitch. However, to confirm you'd have to remove the the panel under the rear bumper and see if there is wiring in place that is no longer energized with the connector removed.

If I remember correctly it is for a trailer hitch. My guess is that it now goes to a harness that is now pre-wired on your car.

My bet is you can pull it out with no issues if you don't use a hitch. However, to confirm you'd have to remove the the panel under the rear bumper and see if there is wiring in place that is no longer energized with the connector removed.

good info! I’ll check that out too. Definitely won’t be running a hitch.

View attachment 496016 View attachment 496017
It runs down towards the floor from where you took a photo of it. It’s mixed in with a bunch of other wires heading the same direction.

thank for the pics, that’s perfect!

There is a post on i think the main page “12v switched” that a few were discussing it on but basically same issue and basically makes the power now the same as the penthouse and power outlets best i can tell so its only off when car is asleep