Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X LR+ cabin noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine is worse than my previous 2017 (mid-Nov) X 100D. There's a number of other places where they cut corners:
- no more onboard 72A charger
- No more light headliner
- New seats don't have movable headrest (does not matter to me)
- New trunk liner is horrible - reminds me of harsh construction paper

Seeing you plan to come from the S:
- The panoramic windshield is as great as ever
- The FWDs are as great as ever
- the motorized doors are as great as ever

mine is worse than my previous 2017 (mid-Nov) X 100D. There's a number of other places where they cut corners:

Appreciate the frank feedback. Of all those things, the noise issue is most concerned.
Have you tsken it to service to see if there is a loose panel or something?

Appreciate the frank feedback. Of all those things, the noise issue is most concerned.
Have you taken it to service to see if there is a loose panel or something?
the service is 180 miles away. It's widely reported the noise is there in newer cars and people recommend to put some foam into B pillar (there's a youtube video that I lost) that I have not yet done so can't say how much it helps.

As you already know, pretty much anything that does not disable the car is "within spec" at Tesla nowadays.

Reactions: VikH

This interesting as I passed on a 2017 X specifically due to road noise and terrible ride quality. Coming from a Raven S and considering a new X. I was extremely impressed by the improvements on a Raven X that I testdrove a few weeks ago. It was significantly quieter than the 2017 X 75D and the new X LR rode every bit as smooth as our Raven S! I didn't just imagine the improvements because I also testdrove a Model Y right after the X and immediately disqualified the Y based on ride quality.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
This interesting as I passed on a 2017 X specifically due to road noise and terrible ride quality. Coming from a Raven S and considering a new X. I was extremely impressed by the improvements on a Raven X that I testdrove a few weeks ago. It was significantly quieter than the 2017 X 75D and the new X LR rode every bit as smooth as our Raven S! I didn't just imagine the improvements because I also testdrove a Model Y right after the X and immediately disqualified the Y based on ride quality.
I was returning my leased X100D in March, that's a 180 miles trip, then I picked up my X LR+ and headed right back. In cabin noise was worse in the new X.

• Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I was returning my leased X100D in March, that's a 180 miles trip, then I picked up my X LR+ and headed right back. In cabin noise was worse in the new X.

Maybe it was different tires on your new X LR+ or larger wheels that contributed to increase noise. The new front motor on the Ravens are quieter than the old design, as well as additional insulation on the new Ravens versus older cars.

Compared to competing brands that I've driven, the Audi eTron, the Porsche Taycan, and the Jaguar I-Pace, the 2020 Raven X is the loudest of the litter. It's even louder than many luxury gasoline cars in it's price range. It's not that it's crazy loud, it's just that sound attenuation technology has improved dramatically this century. Modern cars and trucks are silent.

Is it too loud? Not IMO. I've been in a lot louder cars. If you are coming from a pre-Raven or Raven Model S, you will notice an increase in sound levels at first. But it's not as loud as the Model 3. I haven't driven the Y yet.

Maybe it was different tires on your new X LR+ or larger wheels that contributed to increase noise. The new front motor on the Ravens are quieter than the old design, as well as additional insulation on the new Ravens versus older cars.
the motor is not the problem, the wind noise and road noise is.

Of course the new X had the same everything (Except a bit newer tires). Seeing how much additional costs were ut in the new raven, what makes you think there's any additional insulation? have you seen any? have a before-after comparison shots?

Compared to competing brands that I've driven, the Audi eTron, the Porsche Taycan, and the Jaguar I-Pace, the 2020 Raven X is the loudest of the litter. It's even louder than many luxury gasoline cars in it's price range. It's not that it's crazy loud, it's just that sound attenuation technology has improved dramatically this century. Modern cars and trucks are silent.

Is it too loud? Not IMO. I've been in a lot louder cars. If you are coming from a pre-Raven or Raven Model S, you will notice an increase in sound levels at first. But it's not as loud as the Model 3. I haven't driven the Y yet.
The X on the other hand is almost completely silent when stopped in traffic, which is sort of hard to achieve in a gas car (outside of stopping the engine). Also it's relatively silent when accelerating hard from a stop light (compared to pretty much any gas car).

the motor is not the problem, the wind noise and road noise is.

Of course the new X had the same everything (Except a bit newer tires). Seeing how much additional costs were ut in the new raven, what makes you think there's any additional insulation? have you seen any? have a before-after comparison shots?

Just going off of other reports of better manufacturing improvements and more sound deadening. Search and yoy should come across it. They changed the switch gear for how the FWD open/close and improved the alignment. Not unreasonable for them to also add some more insulation as they lower manufacturing costs.

Reactions: EL0NTRK
The cabin noise is the most disappointing aspect of my Sept 2019 Raven X. Our other car is a 2018 Nissan Leaf, which cost a third of the X and has a much quieter cabin. I took my X in for service (with one reason to look at cabin noise) and they lent me an early rear wheel drive Model S - much quieter. BTW, they stated my cabin noise was normal.

As I've stated on another thread, noise is both drivetrain and tires - at 20-50 MPH, the drivetrain on acceleration and regen is annoying; above 50 MPH on most surfaces the tire noise is loud. In the rain, the tire noise with the water is really noticeable.

I've asked around and my complaints do seem to be fairly rare. As with a lot of things Tesla, experience is variable and consistency is not a strong point!

BTW, if anyone has had any success identifying issues causing excess Raven X cabin noise or has ideas to reduce (e.g. extra set of seals around doors), then please let me know.

• Helpful
Reactions: 365gtb4 and EL0NTRK
Having a MB GL550 sitting next to my 19 LR, I could forgive the lack of sound isolation materials throughout the interior/exterior of the car, thiner glasses, thiner body panels, reduced control buttons, etc. to reduce weight in exchanging longer range.

But the noise level is significant, an example is when playing the same music in the garage without engine/power is on, the X plays the music like a beatbox, and I somehow can enjoy listening to the music without being inside the X :p

Last edited:
Just going off of other reports of better manufacturing improvements and more sound deadening. Search and yoy should come across it. They changed the switch gear for how the FWD open/close and improved the alignment. Not unreasonable for them to also add some more insulation as they lower manufacturing costs.
you realize I have the actual car in question and making first hand comparison, right? I don't need to go off some other reports.

You want me to believe they cheapened interior in multiple places, reduced expedintures by cripping performance here and there and magically also added more sound insulation (that results in noise propagation actually increasing that I could actually feel)? Yeah right.

BTW, if anyone has had any success identifying issues causing excess Raven X cabin noise or has ideas to reduce (e.g. extra set of seals around doors), then please let me know
I saw this, now inquiring the guy to show his pictures https://twitter.com/Krishell1985/status/1241650601735356416

Reactions: VikH
you realize I have the actual car in question and making first hand comparison, right? I don't need to go off some other reports.

You want me to believe they cheapened interior in multiple places, reduced expedintures by cripping performance here and there and magically also added more sound insulation (that results in noise propagation actually increasing that I could actually feel)? Yeah right.

I saw this, now inquiring the guy to show his pictures https://twitter.com/Krishell1985/status/1241650601735356416

Of course I realize you're in the actual car, but you also can't discount others that have the car too or have driven it first-hand. Since you drove so far my guess is it's majority freeway, in which case it's predominantly wind noise over anything else. Maybe you drove your new X faster than normal to experience all the newness. If they achieved a quieter cabin it may actually allow you to hear certain frequencies better than before and perhaps you're just more sensitive to certain frequencies on the new Raven X compared to the older version. It's fine that you consider your new X noisier than your previous one but that hasn't been the consensus.

Sept 2019 Raven X. I have an update from my earlier post.

I had previously taken my car into Bellevue, WA soon after buying with one complaint being cabin noise from front motor and tires - they said it was "in spec". I recently visited the Renton, WA service center and again complained about the noise - Renton was extremely helpful and one thing they found was that the acoustic inverter cover was "missing"! It took 6 weeks for them to get the part, but it eventually turned up and was installed yesterday. Had it installed at Seattle SC as front half shafts were also replaced. Not a huge difference in motor noise, but definitely an improvement.

If you have a 2019 Raven X and you think the motor whine (acceleration and regen) is too loud, then would be worth asking Tesla to see if your cover is missing.

Was installed at no cost for part or labor under warranty. INVERTER COVER, FDU, MSX (1495685-00-A).