Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y CPO - what should I expect at 90% charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
Just bought the wife a new Model Y Performance. 2020, VIN in the 50,xxx range so it has the slightly smaller battery. Car has 11,900 miles on it, previous owner (can tell from the nav log that Tesla didn't clear out) lived in the Santa Barbara area and didn't appear to Supercharge much. No idea what their charging habits would have been (hope they didn't charge to 100% all the time.

Original "rated" range at 100% would have been 291 miles with the Uberturbines. Currently, we've had it for a month and charging to 90% is consistently 240 miles. Extrapolating that gives a 100% range of ~262 miles. That would be a 10% degradation on a car that is pretty much exactly 2 years old.

Is there something I'm not taking into account here? Do I need to do the "recalibration" by depleting the battery down to ~5%, recharging, rinse and repeat several times?

If you charge to near 100% state of charge (SOC) and then drive until the battery SOC reads ~20% or less, doing this several times over a period of time you may see the estimated range increase by 5% but it does not stick around. It is just an estimate so better to tap the estimated range displayed on the screen and flip the display to % SOC.

Charge daily to between 50% and 90%, only charge above 90% if you need to for a road trip where you know you won't be able to stop and use a Supercharger.

When on a trip plan to stop every 2 hours for about 20 minutes to take a break while Supercharging. Cut off Supercharging session at or before the SOC is 80% for quickest charging session.