Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Performance or 2017 Model S 100D Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
‪Would you rather buy a 2020 Model Y Performance or 2017 Model S 100D Performance?‬ I’m looking at both of them, and they’re both around the same price. One difference is that I have no idea when the MYP will be ready for delivery (I ordered a black) and the MS 100D P is available now. Don’t need the car now, but definitely need it before June.

Thanks in advance!

Wait for the Y... Then if June arrives with no joy, you can probably find another car you want then. Given the connectivity and other enhancements, if say get the newest car you can afford...

Good luck!

‪Would you rather buy a 2020 Model Y Performance or 2017 Model S 100D Performance?‬ I’m looking at both of them, and they’re both around the same price. One difference is that I have no idea when the MYP will be ready for delivery (I ordered a black) and the MS 100D P is available now. Don’t need the car now, but definitely need it before June.

Thanks in advance!
i guess the question is what do you care more? S will be faster, but older tech. Y will be pretty fast too, but more piratical. I came from a 2018 Model S 75D to a LR AWD Y. I would say I definitely miss the dash screen, the air suspension, the speed and the look of the S. But, the Y is just a more piratical car. A lot more comfortable in the back seat, better design of the center console and much better tech and range than the S I had.

Thanks in advance!
For an EV, certainly the most critical is the battery.. so I will prefer a new battery with a new design cell.

Reactions: firerock
If you want the fastest car, go with the S. Want the newest tech and more modern/spartan interior, go with the Y. Both have a hatch, and are quite useful for moving cargo. If you go on a lot of road trips and the S has free supercharging that might be a nice to have, but it's very cheap to super charge so not a huge factor.

I seriously considered the S, but found it too low (driving and ingress/egress), cramped feeling (17" screen intrudes on knee and leg space), cup holders hard to reach (one set where my wrist sits, the other set down low) and the seats werent as comfortable as the M3. After driving the S, 3 and X, we ordered the Y. If the Y didn't exist, we would have gotten the 3.

I had Model S for 5 years and just received Model Y. Overall, I'm very happy with Model Y and would take Y over S.

- Y has smaller foot print but similar amount of storage. This is a big plus to me because parking spaces are tiny in Los Angeles
- S has faster acceleration and the ride feels smoother. But, if you haven't drive/ride S, I doubt the difference is that dramatic
- Y charges at faster rate at Supercharger. But S has unlimited SC.
- Y has newer technology and one horizontal screen. I thought I will miss the duo screen in Model S, but I'm okay so far (granted, I haven't driven much due to COVID-19). And I do enjoy watching Netflix on landscape mode when SC.
- S has quieter ride and cabin.
- S has better build quality and uses better interior material
- S is a sedan and Y is a cross-over / SUV. The ride height and view are different (and I prefer better view). Try to test drive a Model X and Model S and you will know what I'm talking about.
- I love how S can stack 2 views on the center screen. And I still prefer to have rear camera view to be on all the time. For Model Y, you can turn on rear camera view, but it will block the map/navigation/music control...etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH and cucubits
I had Model S for 5 years and just received Model Y. Overall, I'm very happy with Model Y and would take Y over S.

- Y has smaller foot print but similar amount of storage. This is a big plus to me because parking spaces are tiny in Los Angeles
- S has faster acceleration and the ride feels smoother. But, if you haven't drive/ride S, I doubt the difference is that dramatic
- Y charges at faster rate at Supercharger. But S has unlimited SC.
- Y has newer technology and one horizontal screen. I thought I will miss the duo screen in Model S, but I'm okay so far (granted, I haven't driven much due to COVID-19). And I do enjoy watching Netflix on landscape mode when SC.
- S has quieter ride and cabin.
- S has better build quality and uses better interior material
- S is a sedan and Y is a cross-over / SUV. The ride height and view are different (and I prefer better view). Try to test drive a Model X and Model S and you will know what I'm talking about.
- I love how S can stack 2 views on the center screen. And I still prefer to have rear camera view to be on all the time. You can turn on rear camera view, but it will block the map/navigation/music control...etc.
completely agree with you. the S dash is very useful with the amount of information it gives you. the first thing my mom said the other day when she sat in the Y was, why is it the ride so bumpy? The S rode a lot better.