Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MYP Clicking Noise When Turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a bazillion posts of people questioning what their Tesla click/noise could be, but I’d like to add mine and see if any detectives can help!
I’ve already taken it to the service center 3 times and it hasn’t been fixed. It’s also a 5 hour round trip to the service center and back so I’d like to try some DIY.

I’m out of warranty at 61k miles. I bought the car used. So far the following have been replaced:
  • Front Upper Control Arms (L+R)
  • New coilovers from Unplugged Performance on front and back
  • Bushing Bracket Stabilizer Bar Front (L+R)
  • Link Lower Lateral Front (L+R)
  • Link Compliance Front (L+R)
I’ve had the axle nuts removed, greased and retorqued and the issue is still there. Help anyone? Please? Video below:

Right. I’ve looked that up a lot, but the thing that gets me is that it’s not constant. When the vehicle is driving straight, there’s no clicking, when I turn the steering to the left 30°, it clicks once. Then when I straighten it out again, it clicks again and it’s done. It’s easily reproducible, but it’s not like it’s clicking every X amount of seconds/minutes or rotations.

Right. I’ve looked that up a lot, but the thing that gets me is that it’s not constant. When the vehicle is driving straight, there’s no clicking, when I turn the steering to the left 30°, it clicks once. Then when I straighten it out again, it clicks again and it’s done. It’s easily reproducible, but it’s not like it’s clicking every X amount of seconds/minutes or rotations

Terrythl: Please explain what your multitude of issues are.

CaseyTal: could you please clarify what you mean by, "I know there are a bazillion posts of people questioning what their Tesla click/noise could be,"?

Did the clicking noise exist when you purchased the car at 61k miles? Was the suspension modified prior to your purchase? What was replaced, and who did the replacements?

Post purchase, who did your coilovers? Who replaced your upper control arms.? Who did the additional mods? If it was Tesla, and they replaced OEM with OEM, then you have an issue with Tesla.

If all of the above work was performed by anyone other than Tesla, you no longer can press Tesla for solutions.

IMHO, of course. Sorry to challenge you and maybe piss you off, but as with any medical diagnosis, a clear history of events is critical.

Last edited:
mine started a month ago and progressively gotten worst. It clunks in the front only if i turn at low speed
Does it clunk when it’s cranked all the way left or all the way right? That may be a CV-Joint (half-shaft).

I reached out to Electrified Garage about my problem and they said it could be wheel bearings so I’m going to explore that avenue next.

Does it clunk when it’s cranked all the way left or all the way right? That may be a CV-Joint (half-shaft).

I reached out to Electrified Garage about my problem and they said it could be wheel bearings so I’m going to explore that avenue next.
It clunks no matter if its cranked all the way or just a little bit left or right. I might remove my sway bar later to see if its hitting something or maybe a loose mount.

I discovered that my 7k km MYLR has the same one click noise but only when I turn right and back. Learned from a colleague who had the same problem that this has been fixed under warranty by replacing the Link Lower Lateral Front.
I'll make an appointment.

I know there are a bazillion posts of people questioning what their Tesla click/noise could be, but I’d like to add mine and see if any detectives can help!
I’ve already taken it to the service center 3 times and it hasn’t been fixed. It’s also a 5 hour round trip to the service center and back so I’d like to try some DIY.

I’m out of warranty at 61k miles. I bought the car used. So far the following have been replaced:
  • Front Upper Control Arms (L+R)
  • New coilovers from Unplugged Performance on front and back
  • Bushing Bracket Stabilizer Bar Front (L+R)
  • Link Lower Lateral Front (L+R)
  • Link Compliance Front (L+R)
I’ve had the axle nuts removed, greased and retorqued and the issue is still there. Help anyone? Please? Video below:

I'm about to go to SC for my issue. Previous owner had Unplugged Performance coilovers installed. I'm pretty certain the clicking is from Axle spline needing lubed. I'm worried about SC blaming the issue on coilvers even though Ive seen this in numerous teslas online with no suspension mods. It should be covered under warranty. I know there is a fix in relubricating. Here is mine in action:

Here is a fix:

Other posts from reddit guys have completely removed the spline and regreased with no recurrence.

A more thorough fix: Rear Axle Click: Ultimate DIY Fix