Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Post Delivery FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I recently ordered a 2020 Model S Performance that was in stock in Southern California. The in stock vehicle doesn’t have FSD listed in its attributes though I am interested in purchasing it. My question is that is FSD a HW upgrade or does the Model S come with the FSD Chip from the factory and its simply the flip of a switch.

I’m taking delivery on Friday the 13th(lol) and already have a VIN.

thanks in advance for any info

Reactions: ucmndd
It's just a software activation over the air. Your 2020 FSD hardware is all included whether you paid for the software or not. No hardware upgrade needed.

Thanks for the reply. So I’m guessing you are saying HW3 is already installed in new vehicles being built whether purchased or not? The wording on the site sounds like you have to have ordered it.

Thanks for the reply. So I’m guessing you are saying HW3 is already installed in new vehicles being built whether purchased or not?.

Correct!

If you are a hacker, I guess you just can skip the payment and then just flip a digit from 0 to 1 in the software and activate it yourself.

The wording on the site sounds like you have to have ordered it

Order the over the air software, not the hardware for your 2020 Tesla.

You don't need to physically drive to a Tesla Service Center to do it!

Wise choice. Now that there's no price difference for purchasing post delivery, I think everyone in California should do it this way since the Vehicle License Fee is based off of the depreciated value of the original purchase price. Great way to avoid paying tax over and over again on that $7k.

Reactions: derichio02 and Tam