Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla Model X if buying used will FSD & Free Supercharging transfer to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here so would appreciate any information that can be provided.
The current owner purchased Full Self Driving when he purchased in December 2020. I want to know if Full Self Driving is transferrable to a new purchaser? It also has free lifetime supercharging. Is the free lifetime supercharging transferrable to a new purchaser?
Any other relevant information that I should know when buying a used Tesla Model X from a private party.
Thank you.

You don't say if it was purchased *new* in 2020: It's a 2020-model-year car, right? Also you should explicitly clarify if the only people involved in any sale in the car's lifetime are private parties or if Tesla or even a non Tesla dealer was involved *at any point*.

First rule in these situations is assume the worst and do not let the possible existence of these perks influence sale price. Certainly Tesla's trade-in calculations assign zero value to both FUSC and FSD, not least because Tesla will immediately strip both before reselling except on a few rare pre-2017 cars:

The document that determines this is the original MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) Tesla issued at the time they sold the car to the first buyer. If a feature is explicitly enumerated on it, it's part of the car and can't be stripped. If not, it was probably a licensed feature that will eventually be deactivated when Tesla finds out the current owner isn't the guy who paid for it, and/or a temporary inducement to close the sale with the original purchaser but is generally non-transferable, despite common sense connotations of words like 'full' , 'unlimited' or even 'lifetime'.

Last edited:
You don't say if it was purchased *new* in 2020: It's a 2020-model-year car, right? Also you should explicitly clarify if the only people involved in any sale in the car's lifetime are private parties or if Tesla or even a non Tesla dealer was involved *at any point*.

First rule in these situations is assume the worst and do not let the possible existence of these perks influence sale price. Certainly Tesla's trade-in calculations assign zero value to both FUSC and FSD, not least because Tesla will immediately strip both before reselling except on a few rare pre-2017 cars:

The document that determines this is the original MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) Tesla issued at the time they sold the car to the first buyer. If a feature is explicitly enumerated on it, it's part of the car and can't be stripped. If not, it was probably a licensed feature that will eventually be deactivated when Tesla finds out the current owner isn't the guy who paid for it, and/or a temporary inducement to close the sale with the original purchaser but is generally non-transferable, despite common sense connotations of words like 'full' , 'unlimited' or even 'lifetime'.
What I mean as (new purchaser) is if I bought it (as a private party) from the original owner that in the car's lifetime not Tesla or even a non Tesla dealer was involved *at any point* (in your words) will both FUSC and FSD be transfered to me the second owner or is it only for the original owner?
So what I understood from you is that I should ask for the document that determines this is the original MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) Tesla issued at the time they sold the car to the first buyer. If a feature is explicitly enumerated on it, it's part of the car and can't be stripped so if both FUSC and FSD are listed on it then it should transfer to me if I am the second owner. Correct?

........... I should ask for the document that determines this is the original MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) Tesla issued at the time they sold the car to the first buyer. If a feature is explicitly enumerated on it, it's part of the car and can't be stripped so if both FUSC and FSD are listed on it then it should transfer to me if I am the second owner. Correct?
Need to 1st determine if he/she is the original owner. If so, then proceed with that...

Reactions: klal
Yep, but my guess is you won't see that. Tesla hasn't been in the habit of putting stuff in the MVPA lately. They treat it more like a free year of a magazine subscription.

I mostly mentioned the MVPA as the final determinant for edge cases like, oh, say you're looking to buy an older FUSC car that your seller somehow acquired recently (not from Tesla) , activated FSD, then put up for sale and now it's a law-school exam question as to who is legally entitled to what.

If it's just the obvious case, a recently built car with a couple cool features Tesla tossed in for the first buyer, then yeah, those might go away eventually.

Maybe not right away: Tesla has the annoying habit of waiting until they do a periodic audit before they reach out from space and deactivate without warning. But generally it's not yours if you didn't pay *Tesla* for it yourself.

Last edited:
Yep, but my guess is you won't see that. Tesla hasn't been in the habit of putting stuff in the MVPA lately. They treat it more like a free year of a magazine subscription.

I mostly mentioned the MVPA as the final determinant for edge cases like, oh, say you're looking to buy an older FUSC car that your seller somehow acquired recently (not from Tesla) , activated FSD, then put up for sale and now it's a law-school exam question as to who is legally entitled to what.

If it's just the obvious case, a recently built car with a couple cool features Tesla tossed in for the first buyer, then yeah, those might go away eventually.

Maybe not right away: Tesla has the annoying habit of waiting until they do a periodic audit before they reach out from space and deactivate without warning. But generally it's not yours if you didn't pay *Tesla* for it yourself.
So it is best to assume that even if Tesla lets me use those (optional) features it could be temporary. I have concluded being very new to the Tesla universe and reading many other posts here is that it is not black & white when it comes to Tesla.
Thanks for the information. It really helped clearify this for me. I appreciate it!

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Glad I could help frame the discussion, but I don't pretend to be the final word. Stay tuned for some more knowledgeable folks who may chime in tomorrow with more hopeful scenarios like maybe Tesla does often allow features to be transfered (once?) between private party sellers. All I know is if Tesla took possession of it, even for five minutes, FSD is gone for sure. Some resent this idea of double dipping, collecting money for the same feature twice on the same car. It's a valid argument. I'm not weighing in on all that, just trying to set expectations low so that if you do get to keep one or both of these features after a few months of ownership you will be *positively* surprised as opposed to the alternative.

Last edited:
FSD should transfer fine and that is how it occurred with my 2018 P100D that I purchased in a private party sale. The original owner purchased FSD and it transferred without issue when I added the P100D to my Tesla account.

i cannot speak for FUSC.

if the car has not gone back through tesla ownership, fsd transfers if it was paid for, if it was not it will be removed. free SC is similar, but limited to early cars. many people confuse free SC for life for the car with free SC for ownership.

if the car has not gone back through tesla ownership, fsd transfers if it was paid for, if it was not it will be removed. free SC is similar, but limited to early cars. many people confuse free SC for life for the car with free SC for ownership.
You are the second person to confirm that FSD should transfer. Thank you.