Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus Trade Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to trade in my 2020 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus and take delivery of a 2023 Model X Plaid the end of the month.

With previous Teslas I've owned, I've always traded the car directly to Tesla and had an extremely quick/easy process.

Unfortunately, Tesla's offer was $46,000 which seemed brutally low.

I'm getting some other offers that are anywhere from $53-58k and wanted to see what the folks here thought was a fair price since this group has so much experience/knowledge.

• Original Tesla order details attached.
  • 31,292 miles
  • Zero accidents/issues
  • 3M Gloss Green Envy Metallic was applied the day I received the car from the factory with a professionally applied ceramic coating done as soon as they finished applying the wrap.
  • Llumar FormulaOne Stratos heat-rejecting tint as well.

Thank you in advance for the feedback/info!!!

Car1.jpg

Car4.jpg

Attachments

• Tesla_order_details.png
    Tesla_order_details.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: PMCPro
Get a quote from the likes of Carmax, Vroom, Carvana etc. If they're all offering you ~$46k then you know that's what the wholesale/auction databases are reporting for recent transactions.

A couple weeks ago, I had an impossible time trying to get rid of my 2021 Model 3 Performance with 12k miles. No dealer in the Northern California region would touch the car with a ten foot pole. Elon's antics are driving people away from the brand. And this is coupled with Tesla's wacky discounting. The result is a scary environment for used car floorplanners.

Most of the dealers around here are part of big conglomerates (eg AutoNation, Penske, etc). They're seeing Teslas not even clear a Manheim wholesale auction when they set the reserve $10k less than the trade-in allowance they were offering just a few months ago. The used car side is getting washed and they have used Teslas they cannot sell.

To protect themselves, the buyers of used Teslas for trade-in/wholesale are making what would be perceived to be a lowball offer. But it turns out that's just the new market fair value for trade-in.

How much did your X wrap and ceramic coating run?
For Texas trade-ins, think about your 6.25% sales tax savings, that is real $ you will save next month when getting your plates.
Wrap was exterior + chrome delete + interior (hated wood trim). Overall total was ~$6K with ceramic.

Stupid question, but does the tax savings only apply if I trade directly to Tesla?

Wrap was exterior + chrome delete + interior (hated wood trim). Overall total was ~$6K with ceramic.

Stupid question, but does the tax savings only apply if I trade directly to Tesla?
Yes you need to trade-in with Tesla for the Texas sales tax savings. If you sell your old car somewhere else, you have to pay sales tax on the total new price. TX Comptroller states a trade-in must be part of the same transaction for the sales tax benefit. So in your case you are getting $48,875 after sales tax savings.

Last edited:
Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
Removing a wrap is not a trivial thing if you're paying somebody else to do it. If you're not, it's a few days of work with a heat gun. That's what's going on there, I think they're about $5k low compared to a factory color because they're not going to re-sell without either spending that labor or auctioning it

Also it could just be my imagination but I see a lot of 5-seaters on used car lots right now - if you only need 5 seats in a crossover there's a lot of competition in that space now, including from Tesla

Wow. Haven't looked in awhile. Last year, 6-20-22, traded our 2020 MX Red/White/LR+/FSDb/28k miles into Tesla and got over $100k in trade value when bought our 2022 MX. Back then, new MX was $120k minimum, so current starting at $98,490 has killed trade values. Looks like trade is down more than the $22K drop in value that new dropped.

Then again, it IS a new car, the worse investment a person can normally make, as guaranteed to loose money from day one. 2021-2022 post-covid was so weird, now looks like back to normal as depreciating assets.

Get a quote from the likes of Carmax, Vroom, Carvana etc. If they're all offering you ~$46k then you know that's what the wholesale/auction databases are reporting for recent transactions.

A couple weeks ago, I had an impossible time trying to get rid of my 2021 Model 3 Performance with 12k miles. No dealer in the Northern California region would touch the car with a ten foot pole. Elon's antics are driving people away from the brand. And this is coupled with Tesla's wacky discounting. The result is a scary environment for used car floorplanners.

Most of the dealers around here are part of big conglomerates (eg AutoNation, Penske, etc). They're seeing Teslas not even clear a Manheim wholesale auction when they set the reserve $10k less than the trade-in allowance they were offering just a few months ago. The used car side is getting washed and they have used Teslas they cannot sell.

To protect themselves, the buyers of used Teslas for trade-in/wholesale are making what would be perceived to be a lowball offer. But it turns out that's just the new market fair value for trade-in.
Elons antics are driving away the overly sensitive hard left. Dealers are shying away from Tesla due to price fluctuations and supply, they dont care about what Elon tweets about. Also with current electric vehicle incentives is driving down resale pricing more. Dealers are numbers driven, not by sensitive emotions.

Reactions: ginmqi
It is logical that Tesla would have little interest in a wrapped or heavily modified car.

Independent reseller would be more capable of moving your Frog.

Sell it to whoever will give you the best deal.

Both new and resale Tesla vehicle have recently lowered pricing.

New Plaid is an awsome deal, compared to privious pricing.