Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several companies that sell the usb module with the data port. From what I hear, they all seem to be working fine so it doesn't seem necessary to get the OEM part for this. I'm using the Tparts module and haven't had any issues.

There are several companies that sell the usb module with the data port. From what I hear, they all seem to be working fine so it doesn't seem necessary to get the OEM part for this. I'm using the Tparts module and haven't had any issues.
The modules from aftermarket manufacturers in China may not use semiconductors which comply with more stringent automotive quality fabrication standards. May work upon installation, but for how long? That's the big question.

My service center in Devon is saying the USB hub is a Tesla only installed part - so they want ~$40 for labor install which is ridiculous. Trying to convince them that I can self install, but not having luck. May just go 3rd party at this point since the part is now $90.
Does not make any sense to me. I would ignore the app message you got and visit the Service Center in person. Tell them you are here to pick up you ordered part. If they again decline to sell the part, ask them why Tesla...

- sold you the new console for your earlier car and did not require that they install it?
- offers a free 1-year online subscription to the Service Manual, wiring diagrams, parts catalog, and other technical reference materials? Obviously that is for the intended purpose of encouraging DIY repairs and maintenance (e.g., "right to repair").

Reactions: Pricedm
The modules from aftermarket manufacturers in China may not use semiconductors which comply with more stringent automotive quality fabrication standards. May work upon installation, but for how long? That's the big question.
You had mentioned that before but is there any evidence that these aftermarket parts are bad for the car? Everyone plugs a bunch of aftermarket parts into their cars that are made from china: cheap usb drives, game controllers, usb hubs, etc and I've never heard of any problems stemming from this. In fact, if you look at the Tesla OEM module, doesn't it say "Made in China" on it?

Also, Tesla's parts catalog does show that their OEM module with data is a Tesla only part. It's not listed as OTC so they may not be selling it OTC anymore and require the work to be done by Tesla service.

You had mentioned that before but is there any evidence that these aftermarket parts are bad for the car? Everyone plugs a bunch of aftermarket parts into their cars that are made from china: cheap usb drives, game controllers, usb hubs, etc and I've never heard of any problems stemming from this. In fact, if you look at the Tesla OEM module, doesn't it say "Made in China" on it?

Also, Tesla's parts catalog does show that their OEM module with data is a Tesla only part. It's not listed as OTC so they may not be selling it OTC anymore and require the work to be done by Tesla service.
Tesla warrants parts and labor on all new cars, so they will specify necessary specifications for any part suppliers to ensure parts meet their quality standards.

From my experience, the parts catalog notes are not set in stone and subject to interruption. Reportedly, some Service Centers are interrupting the notes differently.

Thanks for the tips - definitely frustrating as the first quote a week ago didn’t have the labor charge, only today when I was set to pick up the part did they change their tune.

The location is an hour out of my way to get to - so I just shifted to the Tparts part. It’s cheaper ultimately then the Tesla part after labor charges, and I’m just soured on them today and don’t want to give them more money.

Def wanted to go OEM as much as possible, which is why I wanted this console to begin with as I hated having a wrapped matte finish for the previous piano gloss console.

OK, good luck with that.

I found this image on AliExpress.com. It was taken from a listing photo for one of the USB Hub modules for Model 3/Y,, and shows the PCB construction for the module. The PCB silkscreen says "T Parts".

I can't read most of the component part numbers, but I can read the part number of the two N-Channel MOSFET power transistors ( p/n: NCE3080K ) shown to right of the semiconductors which are annotated as circled in 'Red'. I don't know if this V3.0 version of the PCB is still the current design or not.

1674783501517.png

These power transistors are manufactured by a Chinese company called Wuxi NCE Power Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

The datasheet for these transistors does not state that they are suitable for automotive applications. In fact, on the last sheet of the datasheet, there are disclosures and warnings about products reliability and use. Wuxi assumes no responsibility for equipment failures. The warnings also incude that "No part of this publication can be reproduced or transmitted ...

Datasheet NCE3080K

In China, there is a saying "Say nothing and make a fortune."

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
To be fair, the disclosure states they are not responsible for failures when the products are used in a manner that exceed what they are rated for. I would be surprised if every disclosure from every manufacturer didn't state similar disclosures to reduce their liability. Do you know what semiconductors are used in Tesla's OEM module?

Anyway, I hope this doesn't come off as me trying to argue with you...I'm not. I don't know enough about this, but just trying to argue the other side to see what info is out there and learn more.

I had these 20-pin to 26-pin adapters made. One is with an OBDII diagnostic plug, the other one is without the diagnostic plug. Cost for both was $30 USD with free shipping, plus taxes. They were just shipped today from China, so should be delivered in about two to three weeks.

View attachment 875410

I sent the company that made these, the pinout diagram below, along with a rendering of what I wanted. I prepared the pinout diagram based on the Tesla Wiring diagrams. The company didn't have on hand all wires in the colors I prescribed, but only had to substitute for two colors.

View attachment 875414

They said they used the "original connector housings" (what ever that means?), but if I ordered more, they could match all the wire colors I had requested and they also could substitute less expensive connector housings, which would reduce the cost. I'm not likely to buy any to resell. But if anyone is interested in purchasing these for their Pre Jan 2019 Model 3, contact the company directly with the messaging center on AliExpress.com.

The company (Honha Autoparts Group Co., Limited) sells on AliExpress.com under store name Honha Wire Harness Company Store. They sell automotive harness repair supplies, but also Tesla Model 3 OBDII diagnostic plug adapters.
Love this community. This is awesome. I've always yearned for the 2021+ console, but the TESBROS fella made it sound like it'd be hard to achieve. I've got the 2018 Model, early-ish VIN. Imo, this really updates the interior to a more premium look. I'll be trying this hopefully in the summer (temps are too low for me to be working on the car up here). I messaged Honha requesting the exact same parts. My question is. Where to the adapter's plug into on the new console? I haven't ordered one but I guess it might be obvious once I have it. The OBD II version is interesting though. Does that plug into a connector on the console? Or is it for a connector under the rear console? Trying to understand it's purpose. Thanks!

kayrish,

For your 2018, the 20-pin to 26-pin adapter plugs into the 26-pin connector from the 2.0 Center Console's wire harness located after removing the lower rear trim cover. The other side of the adapter plugs into the cars wiring harness (20-pin connector) at the same location.

The OBDII 20/26 pin adapter is optional. You may not find the OBDII data useful. The OBDII connector is for connecting a wireless CANBUS adapter; used most commonly with the "Scan My Tesla" App for Google Android or iOS smart phone/tablet, usually operated in Airplane Mode (no data connectivity required).

There were already OBDII adapters available for early builds (20-pin) and also OBDII adapters for later builds (26-pin). You could plug one of these (type 20-pin or type 26-pin) into either side of the Honha non-OBDII 20-pin by 26-pin adapters, but you'd have a large bundle of excess wires to deal with.

Reactions: kayrish
kayrish,

For your 2018, the 20-pin to 26-pin adapter plugs into the 26-pin connector from the 2.0 Center Console's wire harness located after removing the lower rear trim cover. The other side of the adapter plugs into the cars wiring harness (20-pin connector) at the same location.

The OBDII 20/26 pin adapter is optional. You may not find the OBDII data useful. The OBDII connector is for connecting a wireless CANBUS adapter; used most commonly with the "Scan My Tesla" App for Google Android or iOS smart phone/tablet, usually operated in Airplane Mode (no data connectivity required).

There were already OBDII adapters available for early builds (20-pin) and also OBDII adapters for later builds (26-pin). You could plug one of these (type 20-pin or type 26-pin) into either side of the Honha non-OBDII 20-pin by 26-pin adapters, but you'd have a large bundle of excess wires to deal with.

Thanks, I had a tiny hunch it was for things like the OBD Link BT Scanners, makes sense. I’ll just leave it as be. Ordered the adapters. Now to get that console.

Has anyone bothered trying to get Tesla to change the console type on the car? What I mean is - when you use the app, e.g. the climate screen, you see a top down view of the interior of the car. I'd quite like to be able to get them to change the actual console visual to the correct one.

I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had done this, but I can't find it and don't really know how to articulate the request when I speak to Tesla.

Has anyone bothered trying to get Tesla to change the console type on the car? What I mean is - when you use the app, e.g. the climate screen, you see a top down view of the interior of the car. I'd quite like to be able to get them to change the actual console visual to the correct one.

I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had done this, but I can't find it and don't really know how to articulate the request when I speak to Tesla.
I didn’t bother to do this but I also read somewhere that someone was able to do this. If I remember correctly they just had to contact Tesla and request it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they say no with their usual response being there is no official retrofit so they won’t change any car settings.

I didn’t bother to do this but I also read somewhere that someone was able to do this. If I remember correctly they just had to contact Tesla and request it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they say no with their usual response being there is no official retrofit so they won’t change any car settings.
There’s no way it’s that easy (switches to tesla app and messages service) lol but that would be awesome!

If you end up finding the source and don’t mind sharing im interested as well. Thanks!

So I’m taking the console swap plunge - put in my request to buy it. They sent me an invoice for approval, does that mean I can expect a smooth transaction here or can they still try to cancel the order or tell me it won’t fit my car?

Not a good idea. Only Fremont built cars after October 4, 2020 have pin #6 ( Inductive Charger LIN ) of the 26-pin connector populated. If in the future, Tesla implements Inductive Charger Controls in firmware, the User Interface on the Center Display would likely show data communication errors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PauliePucks