Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After removing the two side screws, you need to pull directly down on one side (preferably, the side opposite the harness connector). You may need apply a slight amount of force to spread the sides apart, that is to give it some persuasion. When I removed this brace, I first disconnected the harness connector housing from the brace, but the clip on the brace holding the connector housing is fragile and tricky to release. So, I don't recommend removing the harness from the brace.

1681190606060.png

Hey quick question - I grabbed a few feet of white carbon fiber 3m vinyl and was going to try to tinker with my wife’s Cricut machine to make my own console wraps. I want try to wrap my usb hub to match the rest of the console and I have some peeling that I want to fix on the cup holder too.

Does anyone know if the cup holder portion on the gen 2 console is the same size as the gen 1? (Basically the cup holder and card reader part) I have a template for the gen 1 cup holder that I can use.

I feel like they are, but don’t have my old console handy to double check.

Alright my turn for a write up

Purchased a console off of a 21 for $200

I gutted that one so i can get my old harness in since i have a 2018

1. Now everything works with the old harness except the data module which im gonna make the holes bigger on the cover and use my old usb a connections

2. the wireless charger i tapped into the cig lighter which i hope it should work and won't drain much battery

3. I also reused the rear vents with the usb a as well

other than that it was straight forward, i disconnected the 12v and hv just in case and it turned on perfectly fine, thanks to those who helped me on here i appreciate it

View attachment 920062

How are people finding these for like $200. I want to buy one but haven’t found a good price. Everything I’ve seen is like $700

Reactions: Adam3
Hello all. I want to do a Gen 2 Console upgrade on my model 3. The Tesla web site has the Gen 2 console part number as 1755503-00-A.
Searching around the web, I find many Gen 2 consoles with the part number 1617526-00-A. The Tesla web site doesn’t even have this part number.
Anyone know what the differences are between the two are?
-Thanks

Hello all. I want to do a Gen 2 Console upgrade on my model 3. The Tesla web site has the Gen 2 console part number as 1755503-00-A.
Searching around the web, I find many Gen 2 consoles with the part number 1617526-00-A. The Tesla web site doesn’t even have this part number.
-Thanks

(moderator note)

I merged your newly created thread into this existing 9 page one on the topic of "model 3 console upgrade". Perhaps this thread has the information you want in it.

-Thanks

I wondered this also. Many of the 1617526 listings on eBay say they came from Model Y. That is the only thing I have noticed.

Has anyone tried adding the usb port in the glovebox after the console retrofit?

One thing I hate is most of the usb hubs out there for the 2.0 console use both usb c ports in the bin, which would have you leave the sentry disk out in the open.

If it’s doable, any idea what’s involved? I’m curious if it’s worth exploring.

Reactions: Adam3
Here's a little write up for anybody who has the 1.0 center console and wants to retrofit to a 2.0 (spoiler it will fit). So for background I have a late model 3 2018. I am a bit mechanically inclined but this is so stupid easy (mechanically speaking) almost anyone could do it. So tools and parts you'll need.

Tools/Parts:
- Center Console 2.0
- 10mm wrench
- 10mm socket
- T20 bit
- Plastic pry tools
- Data conversion mod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YQ391FD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
- 20 to 26pin converter (required for early 2019 and earlier)
- The power of friendship (if you're weak and can't get the center console out by yourself)

I'm not responsible for any damage you cause to your car, if you intent on following this please conduct your own research before proceeding.

DO NOT DISCONNECT ANY CONNECTORS YET UNTIL ITS MENTIONED IN THE POST. THIS INCLUDES THE BATTERY(IES)

Step 1.
Use the plastic prytool to pry off the side panels of the center console on both sides. It will require some force but try not to break it as you will need it if your new center console doesn't come with it.

Step 2.
Remove two 10mm bolts on each side, it will be easier to move the seats all the way back. Do not disconnect the battery yet.

20230805_130603.jpg

2a. If your sentry usb is in the glovebox ignore this step. There will be a micro USB cable, unplug it from the console and from under the dash on the passenger side.

20230805_132420.jpg

2b. To get to the micro USB from under the dash, locate the 4 pins on the passenger side, a flathead or pry tool will be great here. Carefully remove and unplug the black plug from the MCU.

20230805_131111.jpg

Step 3.
Move the front seats up a little if needed here. Go to the rear passenger seats and remove the bottom panel, a pry tool and a little muscle to remove.
DO NOT REMOVE CONNECTOR YET

Remove the two 10mm bolts with a wrench, one on left and right.

20230805_131349.jpg

20230805_132300.jpg

Step 4.
Head to the main display and power the car off. Then go to the frunk, remove the panel carefully and using a 10mm wrench, loosen the left nut and slide the negative cable off and let rest on the plastic.

20230805_131502.jpg

Step 5.
Undo the connector and carefully remove from the car. Be sure to leave all doors and the frunk open as the battery is disconnected and will not be able to open.

Step 6.
Admire your work for a second, take a beer break if needed depending on the difficulty for you.

20230805_140734.jpg

Step 7.
This step is CRUCIAL to any model. You must must MUST swap the keycard module from your old console to the new one. Otherwise you'll brick your car and will need Tesla to come fix it.
Repeat the following steps for both consoles

7a. Open the armrest and carefully pull the trim out for both sides. It doesn't need to be fully removed but just enough to access and remove the 4 screws leading up to the cup holders.

20230805_141412.jpg

7b. Carefully remove the silver railing enough to the point where you can get a prytool under the cup holder piece, undo the connector, and remove

20230805_142151.jpg

7c. You'll now undo the two T20 screws securing the module, just do a swap and then reverse the steps to reassemble

20230805_142341.jpg

Step 8.
We're in the home stretch, take your new console and the adapter if needed and reinsert to your car. Carefully slide into place and replace the 10mm bolts holding it in place.

8a. If you need to do the data port mod, go ahead and plug it into the MCU and reattach the bottom dash.

8b. Reattach all removed trim pieces and reconnect the 12v negative terminal and you're all done!

If you have any questions feel free to ask, everything works as expected. The wireless charger, all the ports, even the little message if I close it too hard. Thanks for reading!