Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fitted my heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P this morning.

I found removing the existing steering wheel to be very tricky. I would strongly recommend anyone who attempts this try and find a way to push in the clip that secures the airbag via the two holes either side of the wheel at the same time. I tried doing one side at a time, as shown on other videos, but it wouldn’t release the bottom.

The connectors are difficult to get out too. You have to pinch both ends of them, whilst pulling, and there’s not much space to get your fingers in.

I didn’t disconnect the 12v battery when removing the airbag. I did fully power down the car though (via the screen) and waited until it was asleep - i.e. silent, and no reaction to me getting in and out of the driver seat. For anyone doing this - you need to leave a door open, and do not open any other door once the car is asleep!

The car didn’t complain or even react to unplugging the airbag or the steering wheel controls. It just stayed asleep.

The good news, as we know already, the connectors are identical. The wheel is a straight swap, and the controls work as you’d expect.

The bad news, which was expected before installing it, the car doesn’t acknowledge that the wheel has heating capability, it’s as if the option isn’t there - like on 2021 SR+ cars. I am cautiously optimistic that I’ll be able to get it switched on wherever 2021 SR+ owners are able to buy it in the app, but we’ll see.

The wheel cost me £975, which is a hell of a lot of money for basically metal scroll wheels and no cut in the material like on the old wheel, but I was willing to take a gamble.

hansshow sells aftermarket high quality steering wheels which have heating enabled too. I did actually ask them whether theyd be interested to have an aftermarket solution where i.e. the heating can also be enabled with a button or smth and they said that it is probably possible but they dont believe there is a market for that (which is probably true).

Now... I guess you have just connected a heated steering wheel to a old Model 3. What makes you think that tesla will just enable your heating function based on that?

I might also be interested in fitting a heated steering wheel if tesla is happy to software enable them on my 2019 model 3...

hansshow sells aftermarket high quality steering wheels which have heating enabled too. I did actually ask them whether theyd be interested to have an aftermarket solution where i.e. the heating can also be enabled with a button or smth and they said that it is probably possible but they dont believe there is a market for that (which is probably true).

Now... I guess you have just connected a heated steering wheel to a old Model 3. What makes you think that tesla will just enable your heating function based on that?

I might also be interested in fitting a heated steering wheel if tesla is happy to software enable them on my 2019 model 3...
I just took a gamble that they might one day enable it.

At some point (hopefully soon) 2021 SR+ owners will be offered the option to pay to get steering wheel heating, via the app, like they can with rear heated seats. It’s already been confirmed that they have the heated steering wheel hardware, but it’s deactivated. I believe a memo went around to Tesla service centres in the States letting them know this would be happening.

When that happens I would hope that it might either pop up for me in the app, or it will become an option that Tesla mobile techs or service centres can actually push to the car. From what I’ve been led to believe currently is not an option they can see or change in their service tools.

Worst case scenario I’ve just spent close to a thousand UK pounds to get metal scroll wheels and a no-cut wheel. Slightly better case is that the (paid) option to enable a heated steering wheel appears for me the same time as it does for 2021 SR+ owners. Best case scenario I can get Tesla to activate it for me for free at some point because I already have a M3P with premium interior, and paid out for the wheel, etc.

Reactions: Candleflame
I just took a gamble that they might one day enable it.

At some point (hopefully soon) 2021 SR+ owners will be offered the option to pay to get steering wheel heating, via the app, like they can with rear heated seats. It’s already been confirmed that they have the heated steering wheel hardware, but it’s deactivated. I believe a memo went around to Tesla service centres in the States letting them know this would be happening.

When that happens I would hope that it might either pop up for me in the app, or it will become an option that Tesla mobile techs or service centres can actually push to the car. From what I’ve been led to believe currently is not an option they can see or change in their service tools.

Worst case scenario I’ve just spent close to a thousand UK pounds to get metal scroll wheels and a no-cut wheel. Slightly better case is that the (paid) option to enable a heated steering wheel appears for me the same time as it does for 2021 SR+ owners. Best case scenario I can get Tesla to activate it for me for free at some point because I already have a M3P with premium interior, and paid out for the wheel, etc.

can you let us/me know?

i had a look at the hanshow wheels. they are actually the same price as the OEM wheels - i guess when the chinese build high quality parts they also charge a premium for it...

Reactions: Durzel
Hello,

Took delivery of my Model 3 in June - absolutely love it!

For the life of me, I'm unable to locate the menu that contains the heated steering wheel.

This is the 2021 Model 3, MIC, RHD, SR+, VIN: 234xxx and running Version 2021.4.18.2

I've attached a photo of where I think it should be.

I've checked YouTube videos and some other posts -- they all seem to show a different menu option to mine.
Does this model even have a heated steering wheel?

unnamed-10.jpg

Hello,

Took delivery of my Model 3 in June - absolutely love it!

For the life of me, I'm unable to locate the menu that contains the heated steering wheel.

This is the 2021 Model 3, MIC, RHD, SR+, VIN: 234xxx and running Version 2021.4.18.2

I've attached a photo of where I think it should be.

I've checked YouTube videos and some other posts -- they all seem to show a different menu option to mine.
Does this model even have a heated steering wheel?

View attachment 685068

For SR+ it will be available at a later date via a purchase from the app (like the rear heated seats). When it will be available is unknown.

Had my uk LR for a month or so now, tried this the other day and worked fine. However next day I got in the car and it still was enabled?

Can anyone else with the option confirm it remembers the setting over night etc? I'd much rather it didn't and turn on as required. BMW have a nice option where it only comes on under a certain temperature.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yeah, BMW did a nice job with the seat/wheel heat. If you parked/locked the car for a short time to visit someplace the heat would come right back on when you returned. But if you parked for a long time it would default back to off.

Tesla unfortunately hasn't figured that out yet. Once you turn on that heater it's on forever.

Reactions: Teddy69
Yeah, BMW did a nice job with the seat/wheel heat. If you parked/locked the car for a short time to visit someplace the heat would come right back on when you returned. But if you parked for a long time it would default back to off.

Tesla unfortunately hasn't figured that out yet. Once you turn on that heater it's on forever.
good to know at least, the BMW has I think a 15 minute timer before reset.

Would be nice if the button was more accessible, on the latest BMW's it's a button right in the middle of the steering wheel...

Reactions: hcdavis3
good to know at least, the BMW has I think a 15 minute timer before reset.

Would be nice if the button was more accessible, on the latest BMW's it's a button right in the middle of the steering wheel...
I agree. As of now I can’t find a way to turn it on in the car. I have to use the Tesla app. So what happens if I just use the key card to drive, no phone?

Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked before. Does the 2021 SR+ models comes with heated steering wheels? My local Tesla dealer here said it can be activated along with rear heated seats as a cost option. Has anyone done this before? I ordered mine from UK so guessing we get China built models?

I just tried voice commands for my heated steering wheel. It works great with the commands “Enable Heated Steering wheel.” And ”Disable Heated Steering Wheel” . Give it a try.

@Durzel
I should know reasonably quickly.. depends on how fast Tesla UK can get a wheel from Shanghai over to me. It's on order.

The only thing I am certain of is that the wheel will fit, and the connectors that attach to the car are the same (physically).

I would presume that the scroll wheels on the new wheel will work, as there is no security reason they shouldn't (i.e. not paired to the car like the RFID reader). The heated functionality will almost certainly not work, as in there wouldn't be a button on screen or in the app to turn it off and on - as it would be a feature flag that Tesla would need to enable.

On the basis that it seems inevitable that it will be offered as a paid upgrade for SR+ owners, it seems like it would be something Tesla can toggle on - like FSD, EAP, rear heated seats, etc.

The necessary hardware is inside the steering wheel - the harness and the controller. Tesla rather smartly designed the Model 3 to have the controlling hardware actually inside the wheel itself.

Someone jury rigged a 2021 heated steering wheel to work on an older car, using power from the car, so it is certainly possible for a pre-2021 car to provide sufficient voltage to power the heating element.
So the blue connector doesn't connect to anything on the steering column?

Do you have a link to the thread or post?

I fitted my heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P this morning.

I found removing the existing steering wheel to be very tricky. I would strongly recommend anyone who attempts this try and find a way to push in the clip that secures the airbag via the two holes either side of the wheel at the same time. I tried doing one side at a time, as shown on other videos, but it wouldn’t release the bottom.

The connectors are difficult to get out too. You have to pinch both ends of them, whilst pulling, and there’s not much space to get your fingers in.

I didn’t disconnect the 12v battery when removing the airbag. I did fully power down the car though (via the screen) and waited until it was asleep - i.e. silent, and no reaction to me getting in and out of the driver seat. For anyone doing this - you need to leave a door open, and do not open any other door once the car is asleep!

The car didn’t complain or even react to unplugging the airbag or the steering wheel controls. It just stayed asleep.

The good news, as we know already, the connectors are identical. The wheel is a straight swap, and the controls work as you’d expect.

The bad news, which was expected before installing it, the car doesn’t acknowledge that the wheel has heating capability, it’s as if the option isn’t there - like on 2021 SR+ cars. I am cautiously optimistic that I’ll be able to get it switched on wherever 2021 SR+ owners are able to buy it in the app, but we’ll see.

The wheel cost me £975, which is a hell of a lot of money for basically metal scroll wheels and no cut in the material like on the old wheel, but I was willing to take a gamble.

Did it seemed like the heated steering wheel had more wiring?

The heated steering wheel has the extra blue connector at the bottom, as shown in the comparison photos below.

There is no additional connection to the car itself, it is the same two connectors with - as far as I could tell - the same wiring.

All of the required hardware is, as far as I understand it, inside of the wheel itself - i.e. the revised steering wheel controller (underneath the panel that says "AIRBAG" on it), and the actual wiring for the element, etc (the blue connector).

I still haven't been able to get it activated by Tesla. I'm hoping that if/when 2021-on SR+ owners get the option to unlock it that I'll be able to as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4815.jpeg
    IMG_4815.jpeg
    623.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4818.jpeg
    IMG_4818.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 152
The heated steering wheel has the extra blue connector at the bottom, as shown in the comparison photos below.

There is no additional connection to the car itself, it is the same two connectors with - as far as I could tell - the same wiring.

All of the required hardware is, as far as I understand it, inside of the wheel itself - i.e. the revised steering wheel controller (underneath the panel that says "AIRBAG" on it), and the actual wiring for the element, etc (the blue connector).

I still haven't been able to get it activated by Tesla. I'm hoping that if/when 2021-on SR+ owners get the option to unlock it that I'll be able to as well.

yeah once it is an option i might get an aftermarket wheel too which includes heating.

Have you tried the voice command?