Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Door Rattles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll bump this thread since numerous people complained of rattling that goes away when the window was rolled down, and I think I may have learned something relevant.

I have a 2023 that has had a faint but persistent rattle-ish noise coming from both front doors/windows when driving over not-super-smooth roads ever since winter arrived and temperatures dropped. Today while driving I noticed the noise would go away if I pressed outward on the window. Then while at a stop light, I lowered both windows and quickly used a dry tissue to wipe the seals that the windows press against, and that significantly reduced the noise. So I’m guessing there’s a very slight relative motion between the door windows and the seals when going over bumps and this can produce some noise if the interface between the glass and seal is a bit sticky, maybe.(?)

Possibly relevant is that I applied Gummi Pflege (a rubber conditioner) to these seals at the start of winter since I had read other Tesla owners recommending it to prevent windows from freezing shut. Idk if this played a role in the problem — intuitively I would’ve thought a rubber conditioner would help and not hurt this kind of thing — but idk.

One other thing I wonder about but haven’t explored yet is if adjusting the latch striker on these doors to get slightly more or less compression of the door seals might also help reduce this noise.

Very curious to hear if anyone else has any insights.

Last edited: