Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Perf vs 2021 Model S LR Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m finally buying a Tesla after 3 years of waiting and currently in a conundrum. Which Tesla should I get? The Model 3 or the Model S? The Model 3 silver color fully loaded with perf and FSD is 72k including taxes. The Model S long range plus would be roughly 76-77k including taxes with no upgrades except silver paint. I’m wondering why pay 70k+ for a Model 3 when I can get a Model S for almost the same price?

Model 3 Impressions

Pros:

• Very sporty and agile
  • Handles really well
  • Minimalistic interior
  • Love the one screen display which is easy to see. Feels futuristic
  • Has all the latest and greatest updates
  • Regen breaking works quite well
  • It feels like a “Tesla” and not like any other car on the market
Cons:
  • Not as comfortable as the Model S in terms of cushioning and plushiness.
  • Does not have air suspension system
  • Passengers have less legroom which is huge. I’ve always hated when passengers say they don’t have enough room in my past cars. Huge pet peeve
  • Price is the same as a Model S
  • Range is less than the S but not a deal breaker at all
Model S Impressions

Pros:

• Super comfortable plush seats. I liked the ride better than the 3 in terms of comfortability. I felt more sunk in which I really liked.
  • Super comfy ride with air suspension
  • Passengers have plenty of leg room
  • Sexier looking car and more trunk space
  • More creature comforts like auto dimming mirrors
  • It feels like a luxury car
  • Has two screens
  • Handles really well.
  • Has 402 mile range
  • Lane signaling and putting it in drive is more smooth than the Model 3
Cons:
  • It feels a bit dated compared to the Model 3. I can’t put my finger on it but it doesn’t feel as “fresh”
  • Feels like a normal luxury car and not a “Tesla”
  • The quality of interior does not match other non-ev comps, so you are paying for the Tesla name here
  • Hard to reach lower menu options on the main screen
  • Model S is not getting the same tech upgrades and love as the 3. It feels like Tesla is leaving behind the S which bugs me quite a bit.
Use Case
  • I work from home and don’t commute. I drive my vehicle to have fun, go to the beach. Do errands and just get stuff done.
  • I live in Southern California and you always end up on a freeway/highway 95% of the time even for smaller drives less than 5 miles.
  • I do plan on making one or two long trip drives once a year roughly 299 - 400.
  • My current car is being bought back at full price so I wanted to get a Tesla
  • I absolutely hate it when my current passengers tell me that my car is too small and they don’t have a lot of legroom in the back. Drives me nuts.
  • I plan on keeping the car for 5-7 years and will have kids in the next 2 years
I appreciate your time reading this and super pumped to be buying a Tesla. I’m super torn right now and I’m on the fence. I love the futuristic feel and freshness to the Model 3 but the passenger legroom is not adequate for me. The Model S feels a bit dated though but it’s still a beautiful car. I just don’t like that new updates are not coming as fast with the S.

What are your thoughts on this? Model S or Model 3?

What specific "new updates" are not NOT coming to the latest Model S that are going to the Model 3?

Nobody can sway your decision in terms of the looks of each car as that is personal and subjective. As far as legroom is concerned, the 3 is not lacking in legroom at all. How tall are your passengers? What is your current car that they complain about not having enough legroom?

For the record, personally if I had to choose between a new Model 3 P and a new Model S LR+, I would take the S any day.

S
I have a '12 P85 and 2020 P3-
3 is bouncy on freeways (l personally like it much more & with 2 stiff sway bars it helps float & will be adding coils soon)
head room in rear is better than the S I think. leg room not
noise is much better in the S
way, way prefer the 3 layout though & like the smaller car layout.
Although I did get the 3 with autocross and hill climbs in mind since the S got me addicted ;)

What specific "new updates" are not NOT coming to the latest Model S that are going to the Model 3?

Nobody can sway your decision in terms of the looks of each car as that is personal and subjective. As far as legroom is concerned, the 3 is not lacking in legroom at all. How tall are your passengers? What is your current car that they complain about not having enough legroom

I just hear from the Tesla community that the S is last to get the updates.

Regarding passenger legroom, I am referring to the two back seats and not the one next to the driver. I sat back there and it’s much tighter than the S.

Yeah. The thing killing me is the rear passenger legroom. I drive a sh** Chevy Cruze and everyone is always complaining when they are back there. My wife's VW GTI is a smaller car and has way more room than mine. Makes me angry. The same thing will happen with the Model 3 if I get it.
Just get an S. :) There is no such thing as the 3 getting updates faster than the S.

I honestly don't understand the comparison. They are 2 very different cars. You can't get more "Tesla" than a MS, but I digress.

You'll want extra carry capacity with a growing family so S/Y or X makes sense. I don't have FSD but I do have autopilot. I use it a lot more than I thought I would and would probably upgrade to EAP if the price was right.

You'll also miss the extra range.

Reactions: GOVA
I've written in the back of my S for some distance while a friend was driving.
another friend has a model 3 and I've lived ridden in the back of that for about 2 hours. the problem isn't as much the legroom as it is the leg height. Your knees are way up in the air. very uncomfortable in the 3. not terribly comfortable in the S, but then it is the back seat. I think the extra room is really the point. There is a lot more room in the S, both across the seats and in the back. Plus, that air suspension, is really, really nice!

I own a 2018 Model 3 Performance and a 2019 Model S Performance (Raven spec). Both cars are fantastic but they are very different.
Will you be the only person driving the Tesla? My wife prefers the Model 3P. It's smaller dimensions make it easier to park and it just feels more nimble. I prefer the Model S. I can fit four sets of golf clubs in the trunk and it is a much better long range cruising vehicle. I have a 6'4" friend with a Model 3P and he says it is perfectly comfortable in the front seat. If your friends are large then the model S back seat dimensions will definitely be more comfortable. Also, the 402 mile range is a big benefit on longer trips. I have found that 75-80MPH highway cruising with the AC on can diminish range by 15-20% so the 400 mile range of the S may be very useful even if it is diminished to 320 miles due to speed and headwinds.
My vote would be to get the Model S but you will be thrilled with either choice

I own a 2018 Model 3 Performance and a 2019 Model S Performance (Raven spec). Both cars are fantastic but they are very different.
Will you be the only person driving the Tesla? My wife prefers the Model 3P. It's smaller dimensions make it easier to park and it just feels more nimble. I prefer the Model S. I can fit four sets of golf clubs in the trunk and it is a much better long range cruising vehicle. I have a 6'4" friend with a Model 3P and he says it is perfectly comfortable in the front seat. If your friends are large then the model S back seat dimensions will definitely be more comfortable. Also, the 402 mile range is a big benefit on longer trips. I have found that 75-80MPH highway cruising with the AC on can diminish range by 15-20% so the 400 mile range of the S may be very useful even if it is diminished to 320 miles due to speed and headwinds.
My vote would be to get the Model S but you will be thrilled with either choice

My wife test drove the 3 and S with me and she liked how both of them handled. She’s not used to bigger cars but she felt most comfortable with the S. I’m going to do the S!!! I just felt better in it than the 3. I love the 3’s tech though.

Should I do the S performance or S LR+ Now?

My wife test drove the 3 and S with me and she liked how both of them handled. She’s not used to bigger cars but she felt most comfortable with the S. I’m going to do the S!!! I just felt better in it than the 3. I love the 3’s tech though.

Should I do the S performance or S LR+ Now?
Get the performance! The range of a brand new P vs LR+ is almost identical now.

If you have kids in your future get the S. The hatch back design is almost like having an SUV or Station Wagon.

If, like you said, most of your driving will be on the freeway, then the S with the remarkable air suspension with adaptable shocks will pay huge dividens in comfort and control.

Biggest benefit of the 3P is the nimble handling and increased performance from a stand still. That is hard to enjoy often in Orange County. 3 is a much smaller car, and the trunk is not going to cut it with a family. While 3 has good legroom, passengers tend to sit low, with their knees up high. Not that comfy.

The beauty of the Model S is also a huge difference. You and your Wife will look great in it.

Get the S.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd
We have 2017 S 100 (long range) D; 2018 3P- (stealth).

S is the highway champion.
  • Air suspension for smooth ride.
  • Better range above 65 mph. Model 3 efficiency drops like a rock at higher speed. S gearing, motors and air suspension in Low reduce the penalty.
  • Interior space and cargo capacity/ flexibility.
  • Longer range, more battery capacity. We live near Philadelphia. I can reliably do a DC round trip in the S (335 miles rated range when new). That’s with in-town driving, without needing to Supercharge. The 3 needs a charge stop on the way home. Both scenarios keeping with the fast-moving pack.
I would skip Model S performance unless the incremental cost is unimportant. Still seriously fast off the line.

Definitely get Full Self Drive since Enhanced Autopilot seems to be off the menu. We share our S with our daughter’s nearby family, they had a voice in configuration. Son-in-law claimed that their youth, energy and sharp eyes made Enhanced Autopilot unnecessary.

Changed his tune after he used the S for a solo trip to Maine and back in rotten weather for a family emergency.

I have decided to not go Model S Performance and stick with the LR. Thanks for all your help!!
Great comparisons on this thread and congrats on getting your S LRP. I have the 3 but I really love the extra room and dual screens and air suspension in the S. Has anyone else noticed that the view out the windshield is better in the 3 compared to the S because there's no dash in the 3? That's one thing that keeps me from upgrading.