Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s Suspension vs M3 Highland suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If comparing for ride comfort, which one has better suspension?

Model S has way better suspension compared to old model 3. But given there has been lot of improvement in refresh M3, I am not so sure.

Also, I am worried about general reliability issues and breakdowns of model S. (Some people describing it as a 100k lottery)

Yeah we don't have comprehensive disassembly and we know for sure it isn't air suspension.
But it still could be better of comparable to model s from feel and comfort wise.

I test drive both of them but looking to hear thoughts from others as well as experts if they any scientific comparison.

I test drove the new M3 rear wheel drive twice now including on the freeway and the suspension is remarkably better than our 2018 M3. It is a nice comfortable ride while still being sporty. I am a fan. My only gripe is no front bumper camera now that we don’t have ultrasonic sensors on the bumpers. I got to use to changing lanes using the steering wheel from my S, so that’s fine.

I test drove the new M3 rear wheel drive twice now including on the freeway and the suspension is remarkably better than our 2018 M3. It is a nice comfortable ride while still being sporty. I am a fan. My only gripe is no front bumper camera now that we don’t have ultrasonic sensors on the bumpers. I got to use to changing lanes using the steering wheel from my S, so that’s fine.
How is the ride comfort and suspension compared to model S though?

Looks like my "local" delivery center has demo drives for the highland now. I'm curious, but not necessarily make a 4 hour round trip curious. Can give it a shot next time I plan to be in the area I guess.

depends on how you define comfort. for example, my idea of comfort prioritizes control first, then quiet / isolation, then impact harshness. most people I perceive to put isolation and plushness as #1 when they ask for comfort.

I think the highland 3 has a general purpose blend that biases toward people that prefer plushness and isolation. it also has better body control than a standard air suspension legacy model S, such as a 90D.

I have a P85+, and the standard Highland suspension rides softer and is less responsive to steering inputs (in comparison). this is likely a combination of where, and how, you test, as well as wheel and tire combos.
If comparing for ride comfort, which one has better suspension?

Model S has way better suspension compared to old model 3. But given there has been lot of improvement in refresh M3, I am not so sure.

Also, I am worried about general reliability issues and breakdowns of model S. (Some people describing it as a 100k lottery)
question - are you cross shopping the two cars?

How is the ride comfort and suspension compared to model S though?
Compared to the old 3, the new one is significantly better over expansion joints. The jitter is gone. Turn in feels natural and controllable without being darty. The car feels more planted. This how the model 3 should have been from launch. It’s got me seriously reconsidering my stock suspension. Looking forward to testing the new performance model.

It’s been a while since I’ve driven an S but I recall the air suspension being a touch smoother than what I experienced in the new 3. That said I wouldn’t worry about ride quality in either car. They’re both good.

Reactions: phantasms