Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Battery Failure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 1 month old Model 3 Performance (delivered 11 December 2021) has ended up on top of a flat bed truck due to a BMS_a064. Tesla won't tell me what the diagnosis is (they don't speak to you these days, only text). All they can tell me is that "they are waiting for parts to be delivered" - it's obviously a battery, surely! They've given me a loan car in the meantime, but it's not what I signed up for...

"The battery" isn't one thing. There are many different components of the pack which in addition to actual battery cells includes electronics to manage charging rates, temperature, safety protection etc etc. A battery failure usually refers to one of those components. It seems that faults at the actual cell level are rarer than those support and management systems. It can sometimes be quicker/easier to swap out the whole pack with its support electronics. It depends if it's a discrete component that's within the competence of your Service Centre to repair or replace locally.

I have a Sept 2021 MP3 MIC

All good so far. It's encouraging that they can just swap out the battery...

Imagine getting a new 4680 version upgrade in the future...

Unfortunately will not happen if the intended design goes ahead i.e. the 4680 cells bonded to form a bespoke structural member of the car. They wouldn't drop in and out like present packs.