Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this today, which was a first--maybe 12.25.2 comes with some new error messages :)

IMG_1144.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwanja
Model S built before 2019 had a similar feature. There were lights on the side which would activate in turns.

My 2018 does this too. Slight steering angles activates more of the headlight, and extreme angles activates the cornering lights in the bumper. Looking at the parts catalog, the 2021 refresh uses the same headlights as the 2016 refresh ("UP-LEVEL" version).

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I finally got a chance to wash and detail her for the first time yesterday. This helped me find a couple issues. I am also having what seems to be latency or lag with Spotify. The music will stop and go or the app won't load everything. Bluetooth seems okay so far. I can't seem to find how to view or see if there are sentry recordings. I think i need to set my home address first.

Issues:
This rubber interior trim. This for sound or water proofing? Adhesive seems to be weak.
View attachment 685919

Then a paint defect on the rear passenger side underneath the door.
View attachment 685920
+ minor scratches on the hood.
Dang!

Has anyone had an issue with a very distinct rattle coming from outside or underneath the car? I have a rattle that is very obvious with the driver’s window down, but can’t really be heard with all the windows up.

It does it when hitting small bumps or larger, not on a perfectly smooth road. And sounds like it’s underneath the car or maybe in the front suspension? Does not appear to be coming from the door or window itself.

Also sounds like it’s a rattle created from small metal pieces and not plastic, and not something big or heavy, if that makes sense? But I’m unable to locate the source so far. And my local SC didn’t hear the rattle at all last time I took it in, they missed the whole part about “I only hear it when the window is down.” I think they were busy just enjoying driving my Plaid around with the windows up.. lol
Am having this issue as well. Appt in a couple of weeks at Tesla Service to hopefully sort it out. Did you get any resolution?

My Notes from today's Post-Purchase Tesla Service Visit (took delivery of LR MS on 6/30):
  • Front hood left side of car is slightly higher than the left, in front, by headlight (maybe 1/8")
  • Trim piece on exterior of front passenger door misaligned about 1/4"
  • Driver side view mirror jiggles a little while driving, doesn’t seem fully stable
  • Driver side exterior door handle rubbing near bottom right when presenting
  • Interior fabric on driver door at front not fully set/glued down, a little puffy, panel not solidly set in place in 3" section
  • Bug with hvac selection buttons, see lines on screen when trying to change air flow location, function does not always work
  • Right rear passenger window closed outside trim and scratched it in 1/2" spot
  • Jiggling sound front left of vehicle
Only ones of these that require parts are the passenger side trim piece and driver side interior door panel, others are easy small adjustments or software related, just annoying.

This is our first EV; first Tesla - Overall I'm very pleased with the build quality and experience of owning & driving this car - there's nothing like it out there, the thing is SICK.

Has anyone had an issue with a very distinct rattle coming from outside or underneath the car? I have a rattle that is very obvious with the driver’s window down, but can’t really be heard with all the windows up.

It does it when hitting small bumps or larger, not on a perfectly smooth road. And sounds like it’s underneath the car or maybe in the front suspension? Does not appear to be coming from the door or window itself.

Also sounds like it’s a rattle created from small metal pieces and not plastic, and not something big or heavy, if that makes sense? But I’m unable to locate the source so far. And my local SC didn’t hear the rattle at all last time I took it in, they missed the whole part about “I only hear it when the window is down.” I think they were busy just enjoying driving my Plaid around with the windows up.. lol
Yes, I have this issue. sounds like the drivers side front suspension. slow speeds and going over small bumps like expansion cracks. it is a tinny clunk or thud. service setup for early august.

@nilesborg - I have the same drivers side mirror issue and so have several others. Getting mine replaced.

I have not seen the warning sensor issue @omarsultan has - and have driven in 96 degree weather on the highway.

Is anyone else seeing the rear quarter panel rock chipping in the paint as noted by a few in the Exterior forum? (I screwed up the underside of my front bumper already btw with the auto lowering suspension getting really low in an uneven parking lot.. ugh)

Reactions: nilesborg