Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Is it better to use Tesla’s roadside or AAA. I ask this question because I’m taking a 12 day road trip and want to be prepared.
Tesla Roadside knows the cars. No guarantee for AAA. But Tesla roadside might take hours upon hours to get to you - there are plenty of horror stories. So maybe try both? Then cancel the worse of the two attempts to get you.

• Informative
Reactions: MEL-22 and impastu
Think the manual states 50 miles. But it typically needs to be 50 ”straight”, well marked miles for the cameras to calibrate. I would try driving on a freeway (if possible) for 15 - 20 miles. I think the manual has more information on camera calibration.
Service recommended I "reset" and start over -- as it was stuck at the same number for the whole time. So here we go at 0 now! ugh.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Thanks. Is it better to use Tesla’s roadside or AAA. I ask this question because I’m taking a 12 day road trip and want to be prepared.
Do yourself a *huge* favor... Watch a few YouTube videos on how to use a tire plug kit. After that, go down to your local car parts store and buy a good quality tire plug kit and a 12v air compressor. Also buy a tube of rubber cement. While the rubber cement isn't a necessity, it is a real nicety when using a tire plug... you use the rubber cement to lubricate the tire plug to make it slide into place easier.

I'm 54, and have lived in the boonies nearly all of my adult life. I can't tell you how many tires I've used plugs in. Plugs are also a permanent repair, in spite of what tire shops will tell you. I've driven every tire I've ever plugged down to the wear limits and never had a problem. Some of these tires even had multiple plugs in them!

Don't bother with canned goo. Get yourself some tire plugs!

Your shopping list:

1. Good quality tire plug kit

2. 12v air compressor

3. Tire pressure gauge

4. Rubber cement

5. Vinyl gloves

6. Needle nose pliers

7. Needle nose vice grips

8. Diagonal cutters.

Enjoy your trip!

Edit: One last thing... when you use your 12v air compressor, make sure that you keep the car awake! The DC/DC convertor powers the 12v system when the car is awake, and it powers it at 14.2 volts. If you allow the car to sleep (and assuming your model Tesla keeps the 12v power receptacle live when the car is asleep), you'll be using the car's 12 volt battery to power the air compressor, and you may very well trip the efuse in the process.

TL;DR: Always keep your car awake when using a 12v air compressor.

Like almost everyone, waited months for delivery....had car for 3 days and now it is in service center for software issue. Firmware updated to 2021.24.5 bricked the navigation and communication. Error UI_a010, plus no voice commands, etc. Mobile App doesn't "see" car so had to bring in to service center. Anyone else have similar issue?

I had a similar issue. My car hard reset itself on reboot, - Tesla couldn't communicate with the car remotely, - had to be fixed in house at Tesla. One of the 20,000 issues I've had with the car. 🤣
I'm having problems finding the problem. Could you circle it?

Yeah this part of the driver's mirror mount smacks into the corresponding blue paint hidden behind it. The paint is wearing away on the mirror mount and on the car itself. Minor? Yes. But yet another thing? Absolutely.

Attachments

• 1631215458089.jpeg
    1631215458089.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 88
I had a similar issue. My car hard reset itself on reboot, - Tesla couldn't communicate with the car remotely, - had to be fixed in house at Tesla. One of the 20,000 issues I've had with the car. 🤣

Yeah this part of the driver's mirror mount smacks into the corresponding blue paint hidden behind it. The paint is wearing away on the mirror mount and on the car itself. Minor? Yes. But yet another thing? Absolutely.
...was the fix software or hardware?

Reactions: impastu
For those of you having trouble with the front passenger door, AKA having to use more force to close it, I recently discovered that it may not be an issue with the door alignment...

Yesterday afternoon, I had the front passenger door window all the way down and my friend got in the car and used normal force to close it and it closed perfectly fine. We compared the force it took to close the door with the window up and with the window down and it might seem the issue is more related to the window alignment or something there of... someone who has this issue should try this and let me know what they think :p

Interesting. I went to check on my car and can confirm it is the window causing the issue! With the window down the door closes perfectly. Nice one. Not sure it's worth the trouble to try and fix it at the moment.

Does this cover the issue where some were not able to exit Dyno Mode?

Yep, the last part of that gets me out of Dyno Mode every time.

Reactions: impastu and r3nd3r
Had the Model S LR since Sept 2nd. have over 80 miles (yes we don't drive far!) and it is still calibrating. When did your car stop Calibrating so I could at least try cruise control of FSD?

also still on 2021.11.102 software, no update. and it won't even find my iphone as a hotspot (but it is connected to my home wifi network).
Seemed like my calibration got glitchy. Auto steer, preview was working well. I waited until I was going a trip that was about 60 miles. 15 backroads 35 highway and remaining backroads again. When I finished it was at 98%. It took about 15 miles of city driving until it fully calibrated. It did improve autosteer failing, navigate on auto pilot and identifying objects. Still no parked cars though.
my first calibration was from pickup. 4 1/2 hours of all highway. It fully calibrated a lot faster that time.

Interesting. I went to check on my car and can confirm it is the window causing the issue! With the window down the door closes perfectly. Nice one. Not sure it's worth the trouble to try and fix it at the moment.
What if you just lower the window like 1"? That would tell us if it's the window seal or the weight changing like someone else theorized.

Reactions: impastu
So I just made the mistake of looking at new car available inventory on Tesla's website. Why is that a mistake? They have a Plaid available in exactly the colors/config I want.

But after reading all of the horror stories about the new Plaid, I'm finding it very hard to pull the trigger.

You guys that currently have a Plaid... would you wait for the bugs to be ironed out, or would you go ahead and buy now? I'd really like to hear from actual Plaid owners on this, as you guys have first hand knowledge of how bad things really are.

By the time I get done seesawing on this, I'm sure the car will be gone, but at least I'll have a better feel for what I should do if another car comes up.

So I just made the mistake of looking at new car available inventory on Tesla's website. Why is that a mistake? They have a Plaid available in exactly the colors/config I want.

But after reading all of the horror stories about the new Plaid, I'm finding it very hard to pull the trigger.

You guys that currently have a Plaid... would you wait for the bugs to be ironed out, or would you go ahead and buy now? I'd really like to hear from actual Plaid owners on this, as you guys have first hand knowledge of how bad things really are.

By the time I get done seesawing on this, I'm sure the car will be gone, but at least I'll have a better feel for what I should do if another car comes up.
Go!