Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Front driver camera 'gap', front always catches the towel when I'm drying him.
2. Driver side door, slight misalignment, always have to 'close' it twice.
3. "Front passenger safety restraint system fault.", error since day of delivery (Early August). On ~80 of the time.
4. Front lights will stay lit and internal systems seem to be working up to 20 minutes after leaving the car (not in dog/camp mode). (think it may be related to #3, possibly the system may think someone is in the car?, doesn't appear to happen the times I don't have the 'passenger safety' error).
5. Weird battery behavior (this is much more recent); my drive to work, a mild 20 miles (in perfect weather) will lose > 8%. The first month of use it was always ~4%. My driving is the same (~250Kwh). Will leave parked for a couple hours (no sentry) and lose 3-4% in charge.

Tried to set up a mobile service appointment the day after delivery and they no showed/no called the 1st one. They had the courtesy of notifying me of the 2nd mobile cancelation (part not available). Currently scheduled for onsite service on Oct 21st (thats the first slot the Clarkston service facility had available).

With all that being said I'm not going to complain because I won the lottery and got a Model S that everyone wants and I absolutely love. My first EV and I'll never go back.

Tim
2021 Model S LR - Black/Black - 21" - FSD - Ordered Early May, Delivered August 7th

1. Front driver camera 'gap', front always catches the towel when I'm drying him.
3. "Front passenger safety restraint system fault.", error since day of delivery (Early August). On ~80 of the time.
4. Front lights will stay lit and internal systems seem to be working up to 20 minutes after leaving the car (not in dog/camp mode). (think it may be related to #3, possibly the system may think someone is in the car?, doesn't appear to happen the times I don't have the 'passenger safety' error).
5. Weird battery behavior (this is much more recent); my drive to work, a mild 20 miles (in perfect weather) will lose > 8%. The first month of use it was always ~4%. My driving is the same (~250Kwh). Will leave parked for a couple hours (no sentry) and lose 3-4% in charge.

Tried to set up a mobile service appointment the day after delivery and they no showed/no called the 1st one. They had the courtesy of notifying me of the 2nd mobile cancelation (part not available). Currently scheduled for onsite service on Oct 21st (thats the first slot the Clarkston service facility had available).

With all that being said I'm not going to complain because I won the lottery and got a Model S that everyone wants and I absolutely love. My first EV and I'll never go back.

Tim
2021 Model S LR - Black/Black - 21" - FSD - Ordered Early May, Delivered August 7th
#1 - That one really chaps my @$$, every time I wash and dry the car. It’s like, WTF?!
@WilliamG

Does anyone have slightly loose side mirror glass? Mine wiggles along as I drive (the glass, not the whole mirror). The wiggle is just prominent enough to be annoying. I took delivery yesterday and the car has a 9/2021 build.
Yep. They’re all like that. It vibrates (driver’s side) on the highway. Even people who have had it replaced state it didn’t fix the issue. Likely needs a small part redesign. How on EARTH did Tesla not notice this before release? Some of this stuff literally (I mean literally, literally) boggles my mind.

Tim

For number 5, can you toggle between your Display range miles/percentage and post your numbers? Doesn’t need to be 100% charge.

Reactions: impastu

Tim
#4 I had this happen to me and got it fixed a couple of weeks ago. It was a faulty seat sensor. Once they replaced it it never happened again. Does it shut down if you get out of the car and shut the drivers door again. If so, it's the seat sensor.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I think Bull is right and I wasn't understanding what you guys meant by the actual seat latch where the black metal arm connects into the back of the seat and where it releases after you press the release button to fold down. The question now is how does it get fixed? I'm going to drive over to my SC tomorrow and show them what we've been talking about and maybe I'll get lucky and they will have had someone come in with the same problem and know how to fix it. Worth a shot. If not I'll make an appointment to bring it in and leave it there.
SailorDave, did you have the mobile service guy who came out look at the latch that holds the right back seat in place and tell him it doesn't rattle when the seat is not connected to the latch??
I did, he acknowledged and documented the problem but did not know how to fix it.

Edit: just got back from putting some blue painters tape on the arm that attaches to the back of the seat and it worked. That is the fix. I'm just going to change out the blue tape for black tape and case closed. ( See pix below ) Why have them start digging into the back of the seat and possibly screw something else up.
Planetary and Bull hit the nail on the head. Thanks
Gluber
Now you can call yourself a certified Tesla service technician 😂

I've noticed that my Plaid will not "turn off" sometimes. It seems to happen when I'm streaming from my iphone and it's still playing when I get out.

Once I hit the pause button, exit the car, the screens go black and turn off. Needs to be looked at for the next software release.

Everything else is perfect. My interior, exterior is all perfect. Had the car for two months now

#4 I had this happen to me and got it fixed a couple of weeks ago. It was a faulty seat sensor. Once they replaced it it never happened again. Does it shut down if you get out of the car and shut the drivers door again. If so, it's the seat sensor.
have this current issue.

I'll have to get out of the car and push on the drivers seat once or twice and then close the door and the car shuts off and walk away lock works.

Any idea how long it took for tesla to fix your issue?

76% -> 286 Miles. Seems about right, car did a SW update last night and my drive this morning didn't suck 10% like the last couple days. Will keep an eye on it.
Nice! You get a lot more range at 76% than my broken car gets at 100%. 🤣

I’m going to say your car is fine! I also don’t believe the software update solved it? But who cares, right?