Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe due to the glass roof transferring heat out, causing temp differentials and thus drafts but...

Have you perhaps looked inside the car, through the frunk's hinge area? When I say inside, I don't actually mean the interior, but the space between the interior and the exterior panels of the car. Back when I had delivery, I noticed loose insulation down there and had to get the SC to attach it twice (loosened off twice, after the second time they used some stronger adhesive). I actually think a lot of people have this issue but just never bothered to look through that hinge area into the car.

I remember an issue a while back in the thread about someone hearing rattles from the A-pillar, and turned out to be a loose speaker connection. I know it's not the exact same area but close-ish.

I’ll have to search to see if I can find it. Glad plays weird tricks when it comes to where sounds are coming from. It could be the same. I’m guessing it’s inside the A pillar or headliner because like I said, even putting pressure of different parts doesn’t change the sound or stop it.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe due to the glass roof transferring heat out, causing temp differentials and thus drafts but...

Have you perhaps looked inside the car, through the frunk's hinge area? When I say inside, I don't actually mean the interior, but the space between the interior and the exterior panels of the car. Back when I had delivery, I noticed loose insulation down there and had to get the SC to attach it twice (loosened off twice, after the second time they used some stronger adhesive). I actually think a lot of people have this issue but just never bothered to look through that hinge area into the car.

Pic (I pulled the insulation up so I could take a better picture, but even when loose it's just slid down there and isn't visible unless you shine a light):
View attachment 763929

I remember an issue a while back in the thread about someone hearing rattles from the A-pillar, and turned out to be a loose speaker connection. I know it's not the exact same area but close-ish.
thank you. I'll take a look.

Reactions: jebinc
When you think about it, firewalls were called that for a reason! Any hole for passage of wire harnesses and other things was always supposed to be sealed against any penetration of flames or fumes. Airplanes and cars are no different when it comes to this.. I hope this explains the draft issue and makes our cars safer!! Nice picture!!

As far as I can tell, the wires near my rear shocks are routed correctly. They seem to be secured to the brake lines. I did notice a mounting bracket that wasn't snapped into the body panel, though. You can see it below.
1643847175715.png

As far as I can tell, the wires near my rear shocks are routed correctly. They seem to be secured to the brake lines. I did notice a mounting bracket that wasn't snapped into the body panel, though. You can see it below.
View attachment 764092
Holy God.. As we look over the sipes of the inside tread of the rear tire, I see exposure to gravel or road grit on wires. Maybe they have a tuff sheath, maybe not.. Thank you for the picture!

I gave up on rattles. The rear seat hook common rattle I fixed with electric tape got much better but I still hear it every now and then. There is a front rattle in the windsheild dashboard area that is not consistent comes and goes. Then I start hearling slight pegoen hum from HVAC behind screen. Then I read stuff about bouncy harsh suspension that made me notice it more and keep my suspension on medium
the worst is the half shaft shudder from fron suspension on hard accelration on insane mode.
I am trying to just numb my senses and enjoy the caro_O

Reactions: impastu
I gave up on rattles. The rear seat hook common rattle I fixed with electric tape got much better but I still hear it every now and then. There is a front rattle in the windsheild dashboard area that is not consistent comes and goes. Then I start hearling slight pegoen hum from HVAC behind screen. Then I read stuff about bouncy harsh suspension that made me notice it more and keep my suspension on medium
the worst is the half shaft shudder from fron suspension on hard accelration on insane mode.
I am trying to just numb my senses and enjoy the caro_O
As I have said before, I do not have my car to look at but, this rear seat latch rattle issue could be completely resolved with a simple rubber bumper that compresses just before the latch hooks into place. This rubber bumper would act like a spring keeping the latch under just enough tension to prevent movement and rattle. This bumper could be glued into place right next to the latch. Even a piece of foam rubber that has an adhesive backing under a removable paper strip could be used.
On the pigeon hum or cooing, some are saying it could be the small fan in the rear view mirror. Alot better than getting behind the dash!
I would make sure that Tesla is informed of all these issues for their record for warranty coverage. Rattles and vibrations are not wear and tear items.. Hope this helps in some way..

As I have said before, I do not have my car to look at but, this rear seat latch rattle issue could be completely resolved with a simple rubber bumper that compresses just before the latch hooks into place. This rubber bumper would act like a spring keeping the latch under just enough tension to prevent movement and rattle. This bumper could be glued into place right next to the latch. Even a piece of foam rubber that has an adhesive backing under a removable paper strip could be used.
On the pigeon hum or cooing, some are saying it could be the small fan in the rear view mirror. Alot better than getting behind the dash!
I would make sure that Tesla is informed of all these issues for their record for warranty coverage. Rattles and vibrations are not wear and tear items.. Hope this helps in some way..
The cooing seems to have been fixed in update 2022.4. But, I still have a different pigeon sound from the HVAC under certain conditions. It might be the same one that the previous poster was referring to. I'll have to get a recording of it.

The cooing seems to have been fixed in update 2022.4. But, I still have a different pigeon sound from the HVAC under certain conditions. It might be the same one that the previous poster was referring to. I'll have to get a recording of it.
Does this cooing sound stop or change with the speed of the HVAC fan? Because I heard that the update changed the speed of the little fan in the rear view mirror.. Just wondering!!

Does this cooing sound stop or change with the speed of the HVAC fan? Because I heard that the update changed the speed of the little fan in the rear view mirror.. Just wondering!!
Yes, the rear view mirror fan noise improved in 2022.4. It also stops running when the HVAC fan is turned off.
I also have a different pigeon-like sound from the HVAC itself. Here's what it sounds like:

That sound comes and goes, depending on the fan speed and selected vents.

View attachment 764092
That black plastic clip near the bottom of the cables is not in place. You need to push it into that hole on the body.

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Good catch.
So, all they do at the Tesla store is roll the new car off the trailer, remove the protective film, wash the car, then call the new owner to come get it?? No one checks the car over? Sad..
The wash part is a maybe. I have picked up some very dirty new cars from Tesla. They don't check anything. You have to do it all and photograph any problems before you leave the lot.

• Funny
It really is store specific. I picked mine up in Kitchener and have had a couple of issues resolved and they are excellent. The car was fully prepped for delivery. Same stories for SA’s. Some are great and some awful. So far, I cannot complain about anything. Sure, the car has had some squawks but they get fixed. My last 540 had more issues than my Tesla and was way harder to get a service appointment (Kitchener).

My advice is pre delivery, be educated what to look for but don’t get worked into a lather as there is not consistency between the experiences people are having. In itself that is a problem that Tesla needs to work on.

It really is store specific. I picked mine up in Kitchener and have had a couple of issues resolved and they are excellent. The car was fully prepped for delivery. Same stories for SA’s. Some are great and some awful. So far, I cannot complain about anything. Sure, the car has had some squawks but they get fixed. My last 540 had more issues than my Tesla and was way harder to get a service appointment (Kitchener).

My advice is pre delivery, be educated what to look for but don’t get worked into a lather as there is not consistency between the experiences people are having. In itself that is a problem that Tesla needs to work on.
In that case, they should give the customer a bay with a lift! And when my car comes in I'll bring my bid torque wrench for the 129 ft/lbs lug nuts and my big flashlight!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In that case, they should give the customer a bay with a lift! And when my car comes in I'll bring my bid torque wrench for the 129 ft/lbs lug nuts and my big flashlight!!:rolleyes:
Someone by me said they were able to get our store to put their car up on the lift so they could inspect the underside before accepting delivery. I don't know how. I assumed they'd say no to me if I asked.

Someone by me said they were able to get our store to put their car up on the lift so they could inspect the underside before accepting delivery. I don't know how. I assumed they'd say no to me if I asked.
The thing that really grabs my arse is that they supposedly give you 24 hours to report your issues and understandably, scratches and other things found at delivery could be considered wear items later on. Certainly adds a bit of stress to what would otherwise be a joyful moment..

The thing that really grabs my arse is that they supposedly give you 24 hours to report your issues and understandably, scratches and other things found at delivery could be considered wear items later on. Certainly adds a bit of stress to what would otherwise be a joyful moment..
Yeah, used to be 72 hours. I doubt they even honor the 24 hours now. They made me show pictures taken on their lot to prove the scratches were there at delivery.