Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had the chance to look through all the new posts I missed but does anyone know if other owners of a 2021 S plaid/refresh have had a screen/computer freezing issue? My car has been taken into service 4 times on this issue and the last time they told me they couldn't fix it here and they would have a future software update to fix the issue. This has been 2 months ago...

I have been experiencing freezing of the computer+screens both dash and center console. This happens about 3-15 times a day and it is annoying because while I am driving everything literally freezes up and goes into a checkerboard pattern and just sticks on that. Rarely does it ever recover from the freeze on its own maybe historically it has twice. Every time I have to force a reboot and then it will most likely freeze up again.

I don't know what to do here if anyone can help me out. I literally cant have music or GPS playing because the car will freeze every 3-10 miles and causing me to reboot it over and over. Whats worse is this is a Plaid so I paid for a premium defective product...

I haven't had the chance to look through all the new posts I missed but does anyone know if other owners of a 2021 S plaid/refresh have had a screen/computer freezing issue? My car has been taken into service 4 times on this issue and the last time they told me they couldn't fix it here and they would have a future software update to fix the issue. This has been 2 months ago...

I have been experiencing freezing of the computer+screens both dash and center console. This happens about 3-15 times a day and it is annoying because while I am driving everything literally freezes up and goes into a checkerboard pattern and just sticks on that. Rarely does it ever recover from the freeze on its own maybe historically it has twice. Every time I have to force a reboot and then it will most likely freeze up again.

I don't know what to do here if anyone can help me out. I literally cant have music or GPS playing because the car will freeze every 3-10 miles and causing me to reboot it over and over. Whats worse is this is a Plaid so I paid for a premium defective product...
With four previous service center visits and it happening daily, I would start tracking it and logging it and barking up the service center tree about a MCU replacement. With the logging, maybe a remote tech and pull the logs and give you something better than "future software update" will fix it.

Reactions: jebinc

Nope, no freezing. However, I did come back to my car after the recent update to see my passenger door handles going in and out repeatedly with the car locked! No phone connected. Apparently a problem in 2022.12.1. another local owner had the same experience.

Tesla mobile service came out last week and replaced my rear seat bottom cushion due to some odd wrinkles at the leading edge of the seat behind the driver's seat. I actually helped the technician do this. The seat pops out very easily via two small manual switches/levers at the front edge (bottom) of the seat cushion. Getting the new seat in is a bit of a pain, but it went in just fine with some grunting and pushing.

I was surprised by how lightweight the seat bottom was when we had it out of the car. Like maybe 10-15 lbs - easy for a single person to carry around with no problem. Certainly way lighter than what I expected.

One funny thing I noticed when we had the seat out. There was a big dark footprint clearly visible right in the middle of the white insulation material under the rear seat. Someone from the factory had stepped there with dirty shoes at some point while the car was being assembled. The tech was sort of embarrassed by this, and offered to clean it off, but I said "no thanks." It's just classic Tesla manufacturing shoddy procedures, and I'll never see it again.

You should have taken a pic. It would have made an excellent avatar for this thread!

With four previous service center visits and it happening daily, I would start tracking it and logging it and barking up the service center tree about a MCU replacement. With the logging, maybe a remote tech and pull the logs and give you something better than "future software update" will fix it.
I have been tracking it since day 1 and give them all the timestamps of the freezes along with pictures. They claim the logs show nothing and they don't know what is causing it. I already scheduled another visit so when the appointment comes I am going to start demanding they do something because when it freezes no audio works so I don't hear my turn signals and obviously all the sensors are useless since I won't hear any audio or see anything.

Reactions: cwanja
I have been tracking it since day 1 and give them all the timestamps of the freezes along with pictures. They claim the logs show nothing and they don't know what is causing it. I already scheduled another visit so when the appointment comes I am going to start demanding they do something because when it freezes no audio works so I don't hear my turn signals and obviously all the sensors are useless since I won't hear any audio or see anything.
Sounds like you need to go the lemon Law route, and report to NHTSB.

Reactions: JakesterMcZap
I do know the lemon law and I have been giving them chances to fix the car because there were other issues but the issue is if I file for lemon law then I am out money since I had the car wrapped.
Seems like a clear case to replace the computer.

Have you tried a full factory reset ? You'll lose all your settings, but might be worth a try. You can also reinstall the latest update if you go to the service center wifi. Although, really, they should do these things for you.

Reactions: cwanja and aerodyne
Seems like a clear case to replace the computer.

Have you tried a full factory reset ? You'll lose all your settings, but might be worth a try. You can also reinstall the latest update if you go to the service center wifi. Although, really, they should do these things for you.
They did that on the first service, they did a full reset along with swapping the SD card. This has also existed since the first week of owning the car.

They did that on the first service, they did a full reset along with swapping the SD card. This has also existed since the first week of owning the car.
Yeah, definitely a bad computer then. Probably some bad ram or something. Mine is solid, probably never crashed. Spotify doesn't always work right away, but that's about it. Now, the rest of the car....

Sometimes removing the USB drive and plugging it back may help. At least in my previous MS I had that issue and that fix and some software updates seemed to have taken care of that. i used to have black screen when I was on the highway on AP or local. I would keep on driving without AP. It has happened while charging too. I was using Tesla USB drive. Eventually went away. Luckily I don't have that in my refresh MS, yet.

Sometimes removing the USB drive and plugging it back may help. At least in my previous MS I had that issue and that fix and some software updates seemed to have taken care of that. i used to have black screen when I was on the highway on AP or local. I would keep on driving without AP. It has happened while charging too. I was using Tesla USB drive. Eventually went away. Luckily I don't have that in my refresh MS, yet.
Tried that already, 2nd service they told me to remove the usb i had, I did and ran for a few weeks without sentry and it was fine for 1 week then it started to freeze again.