Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, as I have reported in the past, the track package didn't solve the vibration on mine and even with my lightweight aftermarket 20"s wheels using non-foam ps4s tires, vibration was still there.
This is hopefully good news for me. I am getting ready to install the track package on my 21 Plaid that has never had any vibrations at any speed. I was worried that it might start vibrating after the install. 🤞

The vibrating is also a bit subjective maybe. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. For example, my business partner also had a Plaid, and he never noticed any vibration (apart from the few miles vibration). I drove his car for a week or two, and it definitely had the same vibration.
I have 32000 miles on my Plaid. 19” original rear rubber just replaced the fronts. I believe the vibration maybe some are feeling is under hard acceleration. The fronts are definitely skipping when getting less than ideal traction. I have certain pavement surfaces that will do the vibration more and pure concrete when warm wont do it at all. I also only launch it in low/sport.

I have 32000 miles on my Plaid. 19” original rear rubber just replaced the fronts. I believe the vibration maybe some are feeling is under hard acceleration. The fronts are definitely skipping when getting less than ideal traction. I have certain pavement surfaces that will do the vibration more and pure concrete when warm wont do it at all. I also only launch it in low/sport.
It's definitely not only under hard acceleration. Mine has at it while lightly accelerating from about 50mph-ish. Driving at constant speeds is fine-ish. You still kinda feel it but it's not very noticeable. It sucks, but it's probably just a design flaw. I think the main problem with these kinds of issues is:

-Variance in production, so one car has it potentially more than the other.
-Wear and tear.
-Wheels / tires.
-Subjectivity / driving style / speed.

It's definitely not only under hard acceleration. Mine has at it while lightly accelerating from about 50mph-ish. Driving at constant speeds is fine-ish. You still kinda feel it but it's not very noticeable. It sucks, but it's probably just a design flaw. I think the main problem with these kinds of issues is:

-Variance in production, so one car has it potentially more than the other.
-Wear and tear.
-Wheels / tires.
-Subjectivity / driving style / speed.
How is it at 100 mph no acceleration?

I have had my MS Plaid for two days now. It does have the "cold start" vibration but haven't noticed anything else odd. Pulls really cleanly at any speed, full or partial throttle..

But the cold start is really odd. It's like the whole car is shaking, it can be felt in the passenger seat too. Feels like a wheel out of balance or something. But then it just goes away in an instant, like flipping a switch.

Good to hear others have this too, perhaps nothing to worry. :)

I have had my MS Plaid for two days now. It does have the "cold start" vibration but haven't noticed anything else odd. Pulls really cleanly at any speed, full or partial throttle..

But the cold start is really odd. It's like the whole car is shaking, it can be felt in the passenger seat too. Feels like a wheel out of balance or something. But then it just goes away in an instant, like flipping a switch.

Good to hear others have this too, perhaps nothing to worry. :)
'24 right? Well, I guess the new KAF1 fluid doesn't help with the cold start vibration, unfortunately. The '21s didn't do that, but it seems the '22+ Plaids do.

'24 right? Well, I guess the new KAF1 fluid doesn't help with the cold start vibration, unfortunately. The '21s didn't do that, but it seems the '22+ Plaids do.
Speaking of which, I did finally find an MSDS for the stuff. Doesn't show a lot, but does reveal the viscosity at 40C is 29.7 cst, and we know from the EPA docs that the viscosity at 100C is 6.4 cst. EDF2 (which was used from 2022-2023) has a viscosity of 27cst at 40C and 5.9 at 100C. And 2021 to early 2022 used Mobil1 Dexron VI (viscosity of 29.4 at 40C, 5.83 at 100C). Allows us to generate the below viscosity curves.

download.png

Not sure that difference in cold viscosity (which will be more pronounced the colder it gets) is enough to cause vibrations, but some food for thought nonetheless. As you get below 0C the theoretical curve doesn't necessarily apply, hence KAF1 having a much lower viscosity at -40C despite otherwise being a little thicker than EDF2.

What would be telling is if any 2021 cars had their front motors replaced in mid 2022 or later and still have no vibrations.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and aerodyne
Speaking of which, I did finally find an MSDS for the stuff. Doesn't show a lot, but does reveal the viscosity at 40C is 29.7 cst, and we know from the EPA docs that the viscosity at 100C is 6.4 cst. EDF2 (which was used from 2022-2023) has a viscosity of 27cst at 40C and 5.9 at 100C. And 2021 to early 2022 used Mobil1 Dexron VI (viscosity of 29.4 at 40C, 5.83 at 100C). Allows us to generate the below viscosity curves.

View attachment 1030083

Not sure that difference in cold viscosity (which will be more pronounced the colder it gets) is enough to cause vibrations, but some food for thought nonetheless. As you get below 0C the theoretical curve doesn't necessarily apply, hence KAF1 having a much lower viscosity at -40C despite otherwise being a little thicker than EDF2.

What would be telling is if any 2021 cars had their front motors replaced in mid 2022 or later and still have no vibrations.
Wait, but isn't lower viscosity lighter and less resistance to flow? I guess I assumed lower viscosity for the new fluid would decrease friction and increase range. This looks like viscosity went up and the 2021 had the highest cold viscosity.

The cold vibration somehow feels the same as if you have a manual transmission petrol car and you select much too big gear.. Try to drive 30km/h on fifth gear for example.

Plaid has 0-320km/h on a single gear so it's perhaps a bit struggling on the lower end.

Just my thoughts without any technical background. :)

The cold vibration somehow feels the same as if you have a manual transmission petrol car and you select much too big gear.. Try to drive 30km/h on fifth gear for example.

Plaid has 0-320km/h on a single gear so it's perhaps a bit struggling on the lower end.

Do you have a '24 Plaid with the cold start vibration? I'm curious if anyone with a '24 has it.

This seems to suggest you are driving it too slow. Perhaps it was never designed to "drive cold" ;)

Jokes aside, have you discussed with Tesla Service if they offer an option to swap the coolaid, if that could help?

Speaking of which, I did finally find an MSDS for the stuff. Doesn't show a lot, but does reveal the viscosity at 40C is 29.7 cst, ...
Sorry if a stupid question, but what fluid are you talking about? The differential?

So far my 2022 LR (with the original 19" tires) has zero start vibrations or at speed. It seems like tires or rims would be a major suspect for speed vibrations (with either balance or the inside tire foam loose).