Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at T+2 days into my EDD window of 11/11-11/25. Today I got pushed to 11/27-12/06.

Apparently my post about waiting for a ‘22 VIN didn’t work. God bless @Tigers.

Just checked my account and the EDD changed for the better - 11/26 - 12/05. We'll see if it holds!
Well, I’m full expecting to be lumped into this group. That said, these dates would work really well for me! I would think moving to a 10-day window is a good sign of things firming up.

Reactions: Pdubs
Received my VIN exactly 1 week ago and I did not received any communication from Tesla regarding scheduling delivery. So I called Tesla on Monday and they said my MS is leaving Fremont that day. I called again today, 11/11, and they said my MS is sitting in a rail yard outside Chicago ready to be loaded onto a truck to be dropped off at the Westmont, IL service center, which is 30 minutes away from the rail yard Tesla apparently uses. I asked the SA when I can expect delivery and he said towards the end of the month, around 11/23.

Is it me or does 12 days to get the car from the rail yard to the SC, inspect and prep for delivery seem like an absurd amount of time? Is there anything I’m overlooking?
I spoke with someone over dinner about logistics. Noting to do with tesla, but world wide including US logistics is totally screwed up. Not enough drivers, freight piled up, regulations, lines, etc. I think it is going to get a lot worse. Meanwhile, at the end of the day I think tesla is doing a great job navigating it. Pure crap job in support, transparency, and even fairness, but they ARE producing and moving cars.

I don't mean band-aid as in there's something wrong with their architectures. They're great but they are 10+ years old.

I mean band-aid in terms of applying all the new things Tesla has learned and developed (4680, mega castings, manufacturing processes, list goes on and on) to an architecture that was designed before any of those things were even ideas.

Don't forget that 4680's don't mean just 4680's. It means structural battery packs and mega castings to get the packaging right (cooling requirements, weight savings, manufacturing efficiency, etc). It's not just a straight battery swap.

S/X are too low volume and old to make that worth it. Better to start with a clean sheet.
I was under the impression that the new S/X uses 4 mega castings. That was one reason it took so long to retool the assembly line. The changes are not just cosmetic and some permanent magnet motors. The entire support structure was changed. If this is true, swapping in a structural battery pack with 4680s may not require as extensive a retool as the current refresh models did.

I was under the impression that the new S/X uses 4 mega castings. That was one reason it took so long to retool the assembly line. The changes are not just cosmetic and some permanent magnet motors. The entire support structure was changed. If this is true, swapping in a structural battery pack with 4680s may not require as extensive a retool as the current refresh models did.
Tesla manufacturing is quite forward-thinking so it is likely that they would make both refreshed S/X forward compatible with techs like 4680

I spoke with someone over dinner about logistics. Noting to do with tesla, but world wide including US logistics is totally screwed up. Not enough drivers, freight piled up, regulations, lines, etc. I think it is going to get a lot worse. Meanwhile, at the end of the day I think tesla is doing a great job navigating it. Pure crap job in support, transparency, and even fairness, but they ARE producing and moving cars.
I also like the fact that the run up in the stock price the last six months has paid for my new S :) thx TSLA!

Well, I’m full expecting to be lumped into this group. That said, these dates would work really well for me! I would think moving to a 10-day window is a good sign of things firming up.
It must be easier for Tesla to ship to Charlotte than to Chicago because I just got bumped to a later EDD this morning for the same car. Estimated Delivery: December 06 - December 31

Is it me or does 12 days to get the car from the rail yard to the SC, inspect and prep for delivery seem like an absurd amount of time? Is there anything I’m overlooking?
Yes.

You seem to have the opinion you are perhaps not the only, but likely to most important customer the system has to deal with. Your delivery location may be getting a dozen or so Model S units and certainly many more Model Y and 3 units. I don't know, but I expect the inspection process takes time measured in hours. I also expect the average car has somewhere in the 2 to 5 issues to deal with. Exactly how much time would it take you to adjust a door or hood so the panel gaps are more uniform?

Reactions: tbaud
If trends are any indication, that two week window is your final one. And you would expect a VIN five to seven days in advance of it. At which time the window will shrink to about a week within that two week window.

Example:
My EDD range was 11/12 to 11/26 since 10/30.
VIN received 11/5; car was built 11/4
EDD range went to 11/17 to 11/26 same day as VIN
SA says my car should be in Houston between 11/11 and 11/19 - so the delivery date could be earlier than the one week range, but do not bank on it. I am expecting to pickup the car 11/19, 11/20 or 11/21. If it happens to come 11/11 and can be picked up 11/12 or 11/13 - good for me. It is going to sit in my garage until PPF and tint appointment anyways, so I am in no rush to start monthly car payments and pay for insurance.
Well…it appears I am the exception to the rule. Delivery has been bumped again and the window has widened.

EDD was 11/24-12/8 and is now 11/26-12/18

Yes.

You seem to have the opinion you are perhaps not the only, but likely to most important customer the system has to deal with. Your delivery location may be getting a dozen or so Model S units and certainly many more Model Y and 3 units. I don't know, but I expect the inspection process takes time measured in hours. I also expect the average car has somewhere in the 2 to 5 issues to deal with. Exactly how much time would it take you to adjust a door or hood so the panel gaps are more uniform?
Fair enough and good points. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Well…it appears I am the exception to the rule. Delivery has been bumped again and the window has widened.

EDD was 11/24-12/8 and is now 11/26-12/18
In all fairness, in the last week or so, we have seen instances where that rule does not apply. People going to February range and not coming back. People getting VINs with two and three week windows, as opposed to everyone shrinking and getting a VIN.

I think I posted in another thread, but the only consistent thing with Tesla is inconsistency.

Care to elaborate on what you "disagree" with @tbaud ? I am rereading what I wrote and find it hard to imagine there is much there to disagree with it. Unless you want actual links and posts to what I stated.
In all fairness, in the last week or so, we have seen instances where that rule does not apply. People going to February range and not coming back. People getting VINs with two and three week windows, as opposed to everyone shrinking and getting a VIN.

I think I posted in another thread, but the only consistent thing with Tesla is inconsistency.

Care to elaborate on what you "disagree" with @tbaud ? I am rereading what I wrote and find it hard to imagine there is much there to disagree with it. Unless you want actual links and posts to what I stated.
Yeah sure. You said the only consistent thing with Tesla is inconsistency. What a ridiculous statement. We all know you hate Tesla and their sales associates and their service and on and on and on, so why don't you cancel your order? The whining and complaining on this thread is unbelievable. We are in the middle of a global supply chain catastrophe. Tesla is not doing this on purpose. They are trying to make the best out of a terrible situation. The negativity you and others bring to this thread is caustic. Please stop.

Yeah sure. You said the only consistent thing with Tesla is inconsistency. What a ridiculous statement. We all know you hate Tesla and their sales associates and their service and on and on and on, so why don't you cancel your order? The whining and complaining on this thread is unbelievable. We are in the middle of a global supply chain catastrophe. Tesla is not doing this on purpose. They are trying to make the best out of a terrible situation. The negativity you and others bring to this thread is caustic. Please stop.
Hahahahahahahahahahahah.

Alright. Now that is out of the way. Let me say "WHAT?" Please point out negativity in my posts? I will wait all day. The things I do point out, and disagree with, are peoples insane statements about Tesla prioritizing higher margins cars and the "reject lot" being delivered to customers.

Never have I stated I "hate Tesla". Pretty sure I would not purchased multiple cars from them if "hated them". Seems like, or rather is a ridiculous statement. I also never stated I "hated their sales associates". I would consider my relationship with my SA and other I have engaged with positive. Do I think they make some pretty outlandish statements? Sure do. But find me anyone one this forum that does not feel that way.

I will not proceed to cancel, because I love the car. And the company. See paragraph above.

Go ahead and point out my posts where I am "whining". As with the negative ones, I will be here all day.

If you disagree with the statement "only consistent thing with Tesla is inconsistency" I am sorry. But just look through the thousands of posts and see that the statement is flat out true. Not saying they it is a bad thing, but I am strictly responding to a post that said a user is a "exception to the rule". Everyone on this forum speculates how orders are fulfilled. We all try to figure out the process. Sorry to you for responding with the fact that my previous theory was "inconsistent".