Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things moving quickly now. VIN last week, now have a delivery appointment 12/24/21 (exactly 1 year to the day since I ordered it). Question - They want pre-payment prior to delivery. I want to hand them a cashier's check upon successful delivery - at my house. Has anyone else done this? They still need to account for the $2000 (pre-refresh order) credit and referral 1000 miles Supercharger credit. Suggestions?
I read on this forum having to prepay for your car before they deliver it is a Texas thing.

Just called the Tesla sales # and asked if they had any more internal data and unfortunately he said I've got a wider window internally that includes the first week of Jan as well. I think a lot of us with the EOY window are going to be pounding sand until the new year.
I dis-like the content, but I think what you said makes a lot of sense - I don't understand why they shortened our window to the last 4 days of the year, and yet no VINs, and frankly, I don't know why in transparency they didn't open up the back end to include some 2022 early dates - but I think that's realistically where we are going to be.
I think I figured that if being in Central New Jersey, I didn't have a VIN by today, or more accurately, if my car didn't leave Fremont today, whether by truck or rail I see almost no scenario where it will get to the service center with a day or two to spare, to inspect, etc . - Even if Fremont did an incredible quality control inspection (ha!) I think there needs to be a local inspection - i.e. check for shipping damage, damage from rock chips, or on and off the carrier (truck, train, whatever) - so yeah, I think I/we will be pushed into early to mid January.
I'm really good with that actually - I've said before I think there's a VERY SLIGHT chance 2022 will have some sort of tax break legislation for the S (but probably not).
I was to be out of the country the end of the month, but now with a sick kid is has become questionable, so i might be around for a december delivery anyway, but I don't think that's happening.
I called a couple of weeks ago and was told my car was being finalized as in actually produced, and it could be delivered out before my then December 23 start of EDD. I don't see that happening.
I do think it is POSSIBLE that my car was produced, but not assigned a VIN yet, and i think certainly not shipped yet.
I think a possibility, is that a new batch was produced, but missing something - let's say new chips requiring firmware.
this is pure conjecture, and if that happened I don't know why a VIN wouldn't be assigned, but another thought might be that if we get desperate enough, we may jump ship and go for a Plaid.
As there is no incentive, well, I have no incentive :)

Reactions: chrisdh79 and Valis
I do think it is POSSIBLE that my car was produced, but not assigned a VIN yet, and i think certainly not shipped yet.
I think a possibility, is that a new batch was produced, but missing something - let's say new chips requiring firmware.
this is pure conjecture, and if that happened I don't know why a VIN wouldn't be assigned, but another thought might be that if we get desperate enough, we may jump ship and go for a Plaid.
Someone pointed out here the fact that a VIN is stumped on several parts of the car including some that are not easily accessible. Whereas it is a reasonable argument that VINs are assigned to a buyer after the car is produced, it is unlikely that a car would be produced prior to it being assigned a VIN

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
I have to disagree with this statement.

My Plaid price is $12k lower than current (battery day order from September ‘20). I’ve gotten 3 VINs that I had to turn down due to travels.
Pretty sure Tesla makes more from Plaid models so thats why. I ordered in May pre any price hike in CA with Fremont pick up.

People who have ordered the exact same config like me post price hike, already have their cars...

Makes me nauseous just talking about this. What a disgusting treatment of customers.

Part of me wishes SpaceX fails so Elon properly focuses on Tesla.

While I am really happy for you getting the delivery, it really "bites" that Tesla didn't honor your original price after making you wait 7 months.
honestly I think they might have. when the SA called me he said the car was 101000 with no FSD and now after looking at the lease papers it was 97000 with FSD. Mine was 95000 with FSD the two grant more must be for the 21 wheels. I think my account might have made the change on its own. Sticker price is 101000 but account and lease states 97000 with FSD

Pretty sure Tesla makes more from Plaid models so thats why. I ordered in May pre any price hike in CA with Fremont pick up.

People who have ordered the exact same config like me post price hike, already have their cars...

Makes me nauseous just talking about this. What a disgusting treatment of customers.

Part of me wishes SpaceX fails so Elon properly focuses on Tesla.
I ordered in mid-May, pre-price-hike, the MSLR. I turned down 2 VIN's, the earlier one at end of September. I don't think Tesla gives priority to post price-hike orders. Mine is the cheapest configuration, without FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: chrisdh79
Things moving quickly now. VIN last week, now have a delivery appointment 12/24/21 (exactly 1 year to the day since I ordered it). Question - They want pre-payment prior to delivery. I want to hand them a cashier's check upon successful delivery - at my house. Has anyone else done this? They still need to account for the $2000 (pre-refresh order) credit and referral 1000 miles Supercharger credit. Suggestions?
I sat through the MS Teams pre-delivery orientation yesterday. I asked the question about making payment after inspection. They said that was perfectly acceptable. I financed through DCU and had them send the check to me. (Fedex Std Overnight) I went to my bank today and had them create a cashier's check for the remaining balance that was not financed. I verified everything was correct in the MVPA that shows in my Tesla account. And I just bought a 6mo policy from USAA.

I received a text from Tesla this morning saying that my car was ready and asked if I would like to change my pickup appointment. Are you kidding???

I changed my appointment from Saturday the 18th to tomorrow (Thursday) at 3:30pm in Schaumburg. The delivery agent verified over the phone that my Tesla arrived with 19" A/S tires as I had hoped. Boy (and girl) I am excited! 7 month delivery! 😁😁😁

Last edited:
I sat through the MS Teams pre-delivery orientation yesterday. I asked the question about making payment after inspection. They said that was perfectly acceptable. I financed through DCU and had them send the check to me. (Fedex Std Overnight) I went to my bank today and had them create a cashier's check for the remaining balance that was not financed. I verified everything was correct in the MVPA that shows in my Tesla account. And I just bought a 6mo policy from USAA.

I received a text from Tesla this morning saying that my car was ready and asked if I would like to change my pickup appointment. Are you kidding???

I changed my appointment from Saturday the 18th to tomorrow (Thursday) at 3:30pm in Schaumburg. The delivery agent verified over the phone that my Tesla arrived with 19" A/S tires as I had hoped. Boy (and girl) I am excited! 7 month delivery! 😁😁😁
Hope things work out tomorrow for you my Chicago Neighbour. I am picking up today and placed an order for the 19 wheels and tire winter package that will take two weeks to come hopefully no snow till then

Congrats! Well deserved waiting so long! Looking forward to the pics! 🎉

I remember one SA told me "Well if your credit app expires you WILL have to run your credit again to get the car OR you will be put back of the line." Lmaooo like hell I will. Already got approved twice already from two different banks. The third time I do it again I am going to be denied for "too many inquires" or some bs like that. I ended up telling them "Im doing cash" and the lady said "Pfft okay, we will put it in you're doing cash". Them Snarky SA at Tesla

Maybe that is what SA really stands for...

Snarky Associate.

I dis-like the content, but I think what you said makes a lot of sense - I don't understand why they shortened our window to the last 4 days of the year, and yet no VINs, and frankly, I don't know why in transparency they didn't open up the back end to include some 2022 early dates - but I think that's realistically where we are going to be.
I think I figured that if being in Central New Jersey, I didn't have a VIN by today, or more accurately, if my car didn't leave Fremont today, whether by truck or rail I see almost no scenario where it will get to the service center with a day or two to spare, to inspect, etc . - Even if Fremont did an incredible quality control inspection (ha!) I think there needs to be a local inspection - i.e. check for shipping damage, damage from rock chips, or on and off the carrier (truck, train, whatever) - so yeah, I think I/we will be pushed into early to mid January.
I'm really good with that actually - I've said before I think there's a VERY SLIGHT chance 2022 will have some sort of tax break legislation for the S (but probably not).
I was to be out of the country the end of the month, but now with a sick kid is has become questionable, so i might be around for a december delivery anyway, but I don't think that's happening.
I called a couple of weeks ago and was told my car was being finalized as in actually produced, and it could be delivered out before my then December 23 start of EDD. I don't see that happening.
This. I've also heard confirmed rumors (yeah sounds contradicting I know) that if you ordered the LR before the price changes you're gonna be pushed back. I been pushed to February because of this.