Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance info. I have my home and cars with USAA. When I got the new insurance for my LR, they said the VIN identifies it as a Model S Performance. I got a conference call between me, USAA and a Tesla rep going and apparently the database USAA uses is misidentifying the new long range cars as the no longer produced performance version. The USAA rep has sent the information to his manager and other up the chain people to have it corrected. Currently, it is costing me $50/month more than the Volvo that I just turned in at end of lease. When I first got a quote from them they asked if it was the regular long range or the performance version and they used the non performance version dummy VIN, the quote was only about $15/month higher. They promised to sort it out and adjust my premium accordingly. Since this database is from an outside company, it could be affecting quotes from many different insurers.

Last edited:
Just when you think you've seen it all by Tesla, they do something different. My recent EDD had been tracking pretty steadily at 2/4 (yep, this Friday) to 2/18. Of course I've been getting pretty excited but not too. The chaos monkey always seems to have something in store for us.

Like every morning, and the other 50 times a day, I check my Tesla account for any EDD shift. I always expect it when I am a few days out. As expected it got bumped. This is where it is different than any other time I've seen it.

I went from a 2 week window, which in past experience, has meant a VIN is imminent, to a 4 day window. That is pretty specific and narrow window. The amazing part is that it still falls within my original EDD window but at the tail end. So a surprisingly tight window, without a VIN, and still within my recent EDD range.

The last 2 times I had a window of 2 weeks, next update was a VIN. I can only assume the car is at the factory and the have finalized transport arrangements. Or maybe that firmware issues is being addressed before shipping. I'll call my SA today and see if they have any insight, no matter how unlikely that will be. At least the news wasn't all bad if the dates don't get bumped again.

Editing as I just recently read that some people did have 4 day windows. Must have missed it. Then it looks like some still didn't get a VIN. WTH?

My EDD narrowed overnight from Feb 4 - Mar 4 to Feb 15-24! I've never had such a narrow window! I'm cautiously optimistic this could mean this might be finally happening!

I may have to get my financing sorted out soon, and make my final decision on FSD (I ordered it prior to the latest price increase just as a "placeholder" in case it became useful before I took delivery).

Insurance info. I have my home and cars with USAA. When I got the new insurance for my LR, they said the VIN identifies it as a Model S Performance. I got a conference call between me, USAA and a Tesla rep going and apparently the database USAA uses is misidentifying the new long range cars as the no longer produced performance version. The USAA rep has sent the information to his manager and other up the chain people to have it corrected. Currently, it is costing me $50/month more than the Volvo that I just turned in at end of lease. When I first got a quote from them they asked if it was the regular long range or the performance version and they used the non performance version dummy VIN, the quote was only about $15/month higher. They promised to sort it out and adjust my premium accordingly. Since this database is from an outside company, it could be affecting quotes from many different insurers.
Thanks for sharing this. I use USAA also, so I'll make sure that they get their facts straight when I add my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdmdriving
Just to update my road trip experience with an infant. It was a 6 hour drive that took about 7 1/2, stopped necessary for the baby, but vehicle needed charging anyway so it worked out perfectly. The car is awesome, drive is smooth, and autopilot helped significantly. I purchased the FSD and the lane change assist feature is worth it alone. I then took the back seat while my wife drove. I’m 6’ 5”, and was sitting comfortably in the back, had the middle seat folded out as an arm rest, and easily able to attend to my infant. This vehicle has way more room than any compact SUV out there. It is definitely worth the wait! Home charging is epic, so easy and convenient

Just to update my road trip experience with an infant. It was a 6 hour drive that took about 7 1/2, stopped necessary for the baby, but vehicle needed charging anyway so it worked out perfectly. The car is awesome, drive is smooth, and autopilot helped significantly. I purchased the FSD and the lane change assist feature is worth it alone. I then took the back seat while my wife drove. I’m 6’ 5”, and was sitting comfortably in the back, had the middle seat folded out as an arm rest, and easily able to attend to my infant. This vehicle has way more room than any compact SUV out there. It is definitely worth the wait! Home charging is epic, so easy and convenient
Awesome. At 6'5" how do you fit in the driver and passenger seat? Can you straighten you legs out completely while sitting comfortably? Tall people problems...I know.

Awesome. At 6'5" how do you fit in the driver and passenger seat? Can you straighten you legs out completely while sitting comfortably? Tall people problems...I know.
I am able to have my seat fully adjust to myself, and when I move to the back of the driver seat, it’s a little tight getting in, but once I’m in, I’ve for about 1 inch between my knees and back for driver seat. It’s nice. Luckily my wife is shorter so she pulls the driver seat up and that leaves even more room

I am able to have my seat fully adjust to myself, and when I move to the back of the driver seat, it’s a little tight getting in, but once I’m in, I’ve for about 1 inch between my knees and back for driver seat. It’s nice. Luckily my wife is shorter so she pulls the driver seat up and that leaves even more room
Not to beat a dead horse, but I meant the actual front driver seat and front passenger seat. I don't ever plan to sit in the back😂

For all those who have been waiting MUCH longer than me, I hate that for you. But I just got a VIN! RN1156 ordered 20 Sep 2021, NF468. As I was rushing to cancel FSD, apply for Tesla insurance and financing, I got a call from the delivery center in Plano. SA said the car is due to arrive there 3 Feb so I should be able to schedule my delivery appointment in the next couple days. Can't believe I could be driving it home as early as Friday!!

Car is in transit.
People in my area are getting text messages to schedule delivery in the same window.
I call to find out why I still don't have a proper scheduled time yet since the car is in transit.
They tell me the text messages are random and i may hear from them a late as the day before pickup... WTF LOL
Did they ship my car by itself? That's my only explanation as to why i am not getting updates lol

It seems like murphy's law has attached itself to me and won't leave me alone.

Car is in transit.
People in my area are getting text messages to schedule delivery in the same window.
I call to find out why I still don't have a proper scheduled time yet since the car is in transit.
They tell me the text messages are random and i may hear from them a late as the day before pickup... WTF LOL
Did they ship my car by itself? That's my only explanation as to why i am not getting updates lol

It seems like murphy's law has attached itself to me and won't leave me alone.
AFTER, my delivery was scheduled I was warned that I might start getting texts and emails about various things, but not before. Indeed I did get an email about an interactive Zoom session for learning about the car but nothing else so far. My delivery date is scheduled for 2/12.

BTW, can you imagine the marketing power if they could actually ship your car via FSD and it just showed up after sending you an ETA? :)

Ordered a LR white on creme interior with the 19” wheels yesterday. At order time the EDD was July 2022, just saw today it’s already moved up to May 2-30. Hopefully Tesla gives me a decent trade in on my 21 LR+ then I’ll be ready to go!
They will not, but you can make money on it on the open market. I sold my 2020 LR+ for $10K more than I paid, 1.5 years and 27K miles after I bought it.

At the same time, depending on your state and how the treat trade-ins, you might have a substantial sales tax benefit. When buying our Y, even though Tesla offered more, when we factored in the savings of sales tax on our trade, it was better to go with Tesla. Unfortunately their trade offers are only good for 30 days and our car kept getting pushed out.

Ended up selling it another way. At the end of the day, we at least cashed out the car, saved 2 months of car payments and insurance. Purely looking at what we got vs. Tesla and savings on sales tax, we came in about a grand less than we would have going with Tesla's offer. The car was worth about 50k.

At the same time, depending on your state and how the treat trade-ins, you might have a substantial sales tax benefit. When buying our Y, even though Tesla offered more, when we factored in the savings of sales tax on our trade, it was better to go with Tesla. Unfortunately their trade offers are only good for 30 days and our car kept getting pushed out.

Ended up selling it another way. At the end of the day, we at least cashed out the car, saved 2 months of car payments and insurance. Purely looking at what we got vs. Tesla and savings on sales tax, we came in about a grand less than we would have going with Tesla's offer. The car was worth about 50k.
Yea in BC the tax is calculated on the MSRP of the new vehicle minus the value of the trade in so I may get close to what I want without having the hassle of trying to sell privately. I will still list privately though, since as you mentioned the trade in values are only valid for 30 days and my vehicle is still far out.