Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a VIN Day
VIN 5YJSA1E52MF4534XX
Estimated Delivery: November 16 - November 20
Nothing else is live in my account yet to pay or others docs.
Funny thing I call a SA last night and he said no car till mid-Dec
For once, you being ahead of me despite the same build isn't making me angry (with Tesla). I'm hopeful I'm not far behind, but with a 2022 VIN!

Congrats!!

What does EDD mean? Mine is the x model and it has December as delivery but now says TDB. I ordered mine last Jan and I live in New Jersey.
Means Estimated Delivery Date. I’m going to guess your X just got pushed to an unknown timeframe at the moment. Did you order your X in 6 seat configuration?

They are starting to deliver Model X’s for those who ordered the 6 seat or willing to switch to 6 seats for now

nope. order in Aug. msm white and no pics. nope no thumbs up for you
D7D7B5E7-9CEC-438E-AAED-4FDBFA7BE894.jpeg

After waiting this long you deserve a 2022. What sort of issues did you discover? Have any pictures?

Thanks it was a bit of a feel thing. I make the 250 mile trip to the delivery center excited to finally get the car. After waiting over a year you have only 3 days to take the car or it goes to the next guy. Except 2.5 of those three days the car isn’t even available for delivery because it still needs to be “detailed” and is only actually available on the last day evening. So I adjust work schedule to bend to Tesla’s timeline. There’s a lot more Tesla nonsense to this story I won’t get into, but I’m already going into this thinking 🤔 why is this so difficult? How about some flexibility here?

When I arrive I walk right past it thinking that’s the only Plaid I see, let’s hope it’s not that one. The hood gap is off. It’s basically dark outside and I’m using my phone to light the car. As I get closer I see some plastic sticking 2-3 mm out of the left hood gap. I call over one of the people and tell them they seem to have left one of the shipping protectors in the hood. We open the hood and turns out it’s the liner too big for the space. “Don’t worry they can order you a new one.” It looks ridiculous and I don’t know how a car can leave the factory like this.

Back of the car trunk gaps considerably off. Trunk operates fine. Quarter panels seem fine. Paint has light swirl marks but I expected that.

Inside the driver seat has a ripple that I can’t unsee. “We haven’t noticed that in other Plaids but it should flatten out a bit with time, but probably not completely.”

Steering wheel has the dreaded worm. “They all have that,” which I’m starting to believe is true.

Then I’m thinking I can barely even inspect this car and there’s no provision for proper lighting etc to do so. If I’m already seeing all this within 5 minutes what else would I find during daytime. “Don’t worry you have 100 miles to notate and flaws.” That’s fine, but do I really want to play this game of trips to the service center, Uber credits, back and forth, being without my car for days or weeks?

After waiting all this time a lot of the initial excitement has faded, and I recently bought a new car tired of waiting. I don’t need this car, it’s just for my enjoyment, I felt like taking this car with these defects and knowing 2022s are soon to be built wouldn’t provide the experience I wanted. So I regretfully passed on the car costing me a lot of wasted time and money but oh well. If the car was without obvious flaws I would have taken it. I’m a Tesla supporter and shareholder but wtf get your act together Tesla. Yeah I should probably lower my expectations, but why is quality control 💩on a $1T market cap car manufacturer?

Pictures later to follow when I get to a computer.

<snip>

After waiting all this time a lot of the initial excitement has faded, and I recently bought a new car tired of waiting. I don’t need this car, it’s just for my enjoyment, I felt like taking this car with these defects and knowing 2022s are soon to be built wouldn’t provide the experience I wanted. So I regretfully passed on the car costing me a lot of wasted time and money but oh well. If the car was without obvious flaws I would have taken it. I’m a Tesla supporter and shareholder but wtf get your act together Tesla. Yeah I should probably lower my expectations, but why is quality control 💩on a $1T market cap car manufacturer?

I'm supposed to pick mine up next week. Swear to god if there are similar issues I am walking and will never do business with tesla again. The waiting, I can handle. The constantly bouncing around non-sensical EDD was absurd and embarrassing, but to go through that and get a car with blatantly obvious lazy defects and I'm done

I'm supposed to pick mine up next week. Swear to god if there are similar issues I am walking and will never do business with tesla again. The waiting, I can handle. The constantly bouncing around non-sensical EDD was absurd and embarrassing, but to go through that and get a car with blatantly obvious lazy defects and I'm done
Yeah lazy defects are so irritating and avoidable. Why not have someone physically lay eyes on the car before matching it with a customer and starting this arbitrary 3 day clock? Why does no one actually look at the car before it leaves the Fremont factory? This isn’t even end of quarter push yet.

I’ve purchased many new cars over the years, and I’ve never found a visibly obvious defect on a new car from any other manufacturer.

And swirl marks on brand new paint? That’s just sheer laziness and poor technique.

It’s embarrassing on any car, let alone an almost $150k car.

Yeah lazy defects are so irritating and avoidable. Why not have someone physically lay eyes on the car before matching it with a customer and starting this arbitrary 3 day clock? Why does no one actually look at the car before it leaves the Fremont factory? This isn’t even end of quarter push yet.

I’ve purchased many new cars over the years, and I’ve never found a visibly obvious defect on a new car from any other manufacturer.

And swirl marks on brand new paint? That’s just sheer laziness and poor technique.

It’s embarrassing on any car, let alone an almost $150k car.
They do look at it. They even charge you $1.2k for the time it takes to look at it. They're just terrible at it.

1635867213116.png

At $40 / hour, its about 30 hours spent inspecting the car - longer than it takes to build it 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Thanks it was a bit of a feel thing. I make the 250 mile trip to the delivery center excited to finally get the car. After waiting over a year you have only 3 days to take the car or it goes to the next guy. Except 2.5 of those three days the car isn’t even available for delivery because it still needs to be “detailed” and is only actually available on the last day evening. So I adjust work schedule to bend to Tesla’s timeline. There’s a lot more Tesla nonsense to this story I won’t get into, but I’m already going into this thinking 🤔 why is this so difficult? How about some flexibility here?

When I arrive I walk right past it thinking that’s the only Plaid I see, let’s hope it’s not that one. The hood gap is off. It’s basically dark outside and I’m using my phone to light the car. As I get closer I see some plastic sticking 2-3 mm out of the left hood gap. I call over one of the people and tell them they seem to have left one of the shipping protectors in the hood. We open the hood and turns out it’s the liner too big for the space. “Don’t worry they can order you a new one.” It looks ridiculous and I don’t know how a car can leave the factory like this.

Back of the car trunk gaps considerably off. Trunk operates fine. Quarter panels seem fine. Paint has light swirl marks but I expected that.

Inside the driver seat has a ripple that I can’t unsee. “We haven’t noticed that in other Plaids but it should flatten out a bit with time, but probably not completely.”

Steering wheel has the dreaded worm. “They all have that,” which I’m starting to believe is true.

Then I’m thinking I can barely even inspect this car and there’s no provision for proper lighting etc to do so. If I’m already seeing all this within 5 minutes what else would I find during daytime. “Don’t worry you have 100 miles to notate and flaws.” That’s fine, but do I really want to play this game of trips to the service center, Uber credits, back and forth, being without my car for days or weeks?

thanks for sharing. I doubt I would have had your self control. the wait. the driving, etc. - i'd just have taken it, and then been miserable over the flaws. Kudos to you!