Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It totally makes no sense to me either, @2MuchLala! My car sat in Chicago for like 4 days last week waiting for transport to KC. By all rights it should have gone to you! You’re making me feel better about my decision to pick mine up today, with the old lights. I’ve really been torn on that issue!

On my way to KC now!
Happy for you man! The new lights are all preference, they didnt look THAT different to me, so I would also be good with either. I am thinking about scheduling my appointment to get the windows tinted and wheels powder coated for April 1, for some reason I believe this EDD is accurate even though I am losing hope every day LOL. It's a mixed bag.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Happy for you man! The new lights are all preference, they didnt look THAT different to me, so I would also be good with either. I am thinking about scheduling my appointment to get the windows tinted and wheels powder coated for April 1, for some reason I believe this EDD is accurate even though I am losing hope every day LOL. It's a mixed bag.
Our cars are going to look pretty mean with dark tinted windows! I wasn’t planning to powder coat my rims, but might change my mind when I see how yours come out.

Our cars are going to look pretty mean with dark tinted windows! I wasn’t planning to powder coat my rims, but might change my mind when I see how yours come out.
I am thinking of powder coating the rims black and also dipping or painting the covers black as well. Satin black for all. Then 20 or 25% tints around except the windshield. I was originally thinking of getting new rims but i saw this, and though it looked solid.

Dilemma time! My car is definitely not flawless, and has SUMMER TIRES despite my repeated questions to Tesla on what tires will come on the car (the last one yesterday when the Car was supposedly sitting right in front of the guy I called—he was too lazy to go look at the tires, apparently).

Flaws include a frunk that’s impossible to shut (trim coming up on both sides), a paint chip/rub spot from where the front door edge is rubbing against the fender, various trim pieces that are loose and need to be fixed, rear seats that don’t auto fold down, not very clean overall, etc.

They SA here is apologetic, and understands that I’m REALLY tempted to reject this one and wait for the refreshed version. He even said he would have my new car shipped directly to my home if I do reject this one and wait.

Thoughts, please. I’ve driven 3 hours to get here and am pretty ticked about the tire situation.

Dilemma time! My car is definitely not flawless, and has SUMMER TIRES despite my repeated questions to Tesla on what tires will come on the car (the last one yesterday when the Car was supposedly sitting right in front of the guy I called—he was too lazy to go look at the tires, apparently).

Flaws include a frunk that’s impossible to shut (trim coming up on both sides), a paint chip/rub spot from where the front door edge is rubbing against the fender, various trim pieces that are loose and need to be fixed, rear seats that don’t auto fold down, not very clean overall, etc.

They SA here is apologetic, and understands that I’m REALLY tempted to reject this one and wait for the refreshed version. He even said he would have my new car shipped directly to my home if I do reject this one and wait.

Thoughts, please. I’ve driven 3 hours to get here and am pretty ticked about the tire situation.
Have you asked them to swap your summer tires with all seasons? Some SC's are doing so at no cost to the customer, especially when you mention knowledge of an internal memo indicating which regions of the USA are to have the S's with 19's equipped with all seasons (at least for the LR, not sure about plaid).

My frunk is also tough to close. But I suspect its due to fresh, new, rubber seals that will take time to adjust. (My doors were also tough to close for the first 30 or so closings). Not necessarily a defect. Paint chip/rub spot can be addressed as well. If its not large/excessively noticeable, they can touch up and adjust the door/fender so that there is no touching/rubbing. The rear seats arent motorized to the point where they automatically fold all the way down when you press the button. So if you were expecting them to always fold fully down on their own when you press the button, thats not how they are intended to work.

Loose trim pieces are usually fixable.

For three hours each way? Id be tempted to take it IF they can agree in writing to fix those things via later service visit or even better, mobile service to you

If they ship to your home and you get the new headlights ect I would wait. If you don't need the car you will be happier waiting in the long run

Have you asked them to swap your summer tires with all seasons? Some SC's are doing so at no cost to the customer, especially when you mention knowledge of an internal memo indicating which regions of the USA are to have the S's with 19's equipped with all seasons (at least for the LR, not sure about plaid).

My frunk is also tough to close. But I suspect its due to fresh, new, rubber seals that will take time to adjust. (My doors were also tough to close for the first 30 or so closings). Not necessarily a defect. Paint chip/rub spot can be addressed as well. If its not large/excessively noticeable, they can touch up and adjust the door/fender so that there is no touching/rubbing. The rear seats arent motorized to the point where they automatically fold all the way down when you press the button. So if you were expecting them to always fold fully down on their own when you press the button, thats not how they are intended to work.

Loose trim pieces are usually fixable.

For three hours each way? Id be tempted to take it IF they can agree in writing to fix those things via later service visit or even better, mobile service to you
They have definitely agreed to replace the tires with All-Seasons! There’s another MSLR sitting in their back lot with the Continentals, so I’m trying to convince them to simply swap the tires out. The rest of the things are definitely able to be remedied today, I think.

It’s cool that they have offered to deliver the updated car directly to me to avoid another 6 hours of driving to KC and back!

I just need to take a deep breath and think this through clearly!

Thanks for your opinion!

We’ll, after a lot of thinking about it and after Tesla was able to address all my concerns quickly, I did decide to accept delivery today! I’ll be getting new all-season tires in about 10 days. All of the other things I was concerned about were addressed.

Because I had tried so hard to avoid driving 3 hours and finding my new car with summer tires, and because this is my 4th new Tesla from this location, the Tesla guys in KC offered to provide me with a full set of Tesla winter floor mats (including the trunk ones). About $450 worth of stuff I would have ordered anyway. So in the end I’m pretty satisfied with everything.

The car is AMAZING to drive! I’ll provide a more complete review later, along with some photos to help tide everyone over until their new cars arrive (with sweet new lights!).

Thanks for the advice!

We’ll, after a lot of thinking about it and after Tesla was able to address all my concerns quickly, I did decide to accept delivery today! I’ll be getting new all-season tires in about 10 days. All of the other things I was concerned about were addressed.

Because I had tried so hard to avoid driving 3 hours and finding my new car with summer tires, and because this is my 4th new Tesla from this location, the Tesla guys in KC offered to provide me with a full set of Tesla winter floor mats (including the trunk ones). About $450 worth of stuff I would have ordered anyway. So in the end I’m pretty satisfied with everything.

The car is AMAZING to drive! I’ll provide a more complete review later, along with some photos to help tide everyone over until their new cars arrive (with sweet new lights!).

Thanks for the advice!
Nice! Congrats. Are they going to let you keep the summer tires?

Did you see any other Model S's there?

Nice! Congrats. Are they going to let you keep the summer tires?

Did you see any other Model S's there?
I'm not sure what they plan to do with the summer tires when they replace them for me. I'm not sure I'd have a use for them unless I buy a new set of rims and swap back and forth in the spring and fall.

There were a few other 2022 Model S's at the KC location, including a white on white like you ordered! All of them had the old lights. There was a blue/black one with Continental A/S tires on 19 inch rims, and I tried to convince them to swap them for my Summer tires, but they said they couldn't do that.

Overall, I do like the people who work at the KC location. They do try to be as helpful as possible. They do a horrendous job of detailing the cars for delivery, though (I've bought 4 cars through them and they are always not properly cleaned). Oh well, my car is heading for the detailer/PPF/Ceramic Coating guy tomorrow morning, so it won't really matter. And it got pretty bug-splattered and dirty driving back to Omaha from KC anyway. Hopefully no rock chips, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
I not sure what they plan to do with the summer tires when they replace them for me. I'm not sure I'd have a use for them unless I buy a new set of rims and swap back and forth in the spring and fall.

There were a few other 2022 Model S's at the KC location, including a white on white like you ordered! All of them had the old lights. There was a blue/black one with Continental A/S tires on 19 inch rims, and I tried to convince them to swap them for my Summer tires, but they said they couldn't do that.

Overall, I do like the people who work at the KC location. They do try to be as helpful as possible. They do a horrendous job of detailing the cars for delivery, though (I've bought 4 cars through them and they are always not properly cleaned). Oh well, my car is heading for the detailer/PPF/Ceramic Coating guy tomorrow morning, so it won't really matter. And it got pretty bug-splattered and dirty driving back to Omaha from KC anyway. Hopefully no rock chips, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Thank you for the update! Enjoy the new ride.

Look forward to your complete write up.