Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY Dash trim on doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MTBevrider

LR Blue, 20” black interior. Cybertruck on order!
Jul 13, 2021
Southern California
Hi all,

An SA told me today that the 2021 MY comes with the dash extension found on the front doors, like the new M3's. I have yet to see one. Can any of you who've taken delivery of a 2021 MY recently please share if you have the extra dash that extends to the door?
Thanks!

Picked mine up a week ago. No dash trim on doors either.
4D46EAA1-6A20-45C9-83A7-EE411D0D2EFB.jpeg

Reactions: MTBevrider
What is the "updated door trim"?
Wood to match the dash, which I believe is already standard on MIC MYs. I went the other way, and removed my dash with the lone piece of wood and replaced it with an Ancantara “suede” dash to match the current door panels and the gen. 2 center console charging dock area.
The listed price includes a $250 deposit, which is returned when you ship back the wood dash you remove. Final price was $299.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeR99
Wood to match the dash, which I believe is already standard on MIC MYs. I went the other way, and removed my dash with the lone piece of wood and replaced it with an Ancantara “suede” dash to match the current door panels and the gen. 2 center console charging dock area.
The listed price includes a $250 deposit, which is returned when you ship back the wood dash you remove. Final price was $299.

Gotcha. I actually like the solo piece of "wood" on the dash. What I really want is to do an Alcantara headliner...in what I think is the right way. UP has one, and it looks good, but I'm picky, unfortunately, and the headliner isn't made with the spacing between joints to accommodate Alcantara without modification.

Dr.
I actually hope that the MYLR that I ordered in June and is “scheduled” for delivery in mid September does NOT have the new wood trim on the doors. I ordered an Alcantara dashboard cap to cover the wood, so new panels on the doors would look out of place until someone makes aftermarket Alcantara door panel covers.
I originally went with the two piece Alcantara caps, but they blocked the air vents ever so slightly that I couldn’t direct the air to my face if I wanted to.
I went with the full replacement I link to in post #10 of this thread.

Gotcha. I actually like the solo piece of "wood" on the dash. What I really want is to do an Alcantara headliner...in what I think is the right way. UP has one, and it looks good, but I'm picky, unfortunately, and the headliner isn't made with the spacing between joints to accommodate Alcantara without modification.
The trim on the dash isn’t “wood” but actually real wood. Before I tried Alcantara caps (which slightly blocked air flow from the vents,) I tried covering the wood with a matte black vinyl wrap. Because the wood is real, the grain showed through the vinyl, making it look wrinkled, so I ultimately went for the Alcantara dash replacement. Couldn’t be happier with the result. The only downside, which is easily adjusted by running your hand across the dash, is the “grain” of the Alcantara which can show different shades across the dash depending on which way the “suede” is brushed. I’d imagine an Alcantara headliner would do the same thing on a larger scale.

• Funny
Reactions: 907XCP and MikeR99
The trim on the dash isn’t “wood” but actually real wood. Before I tried Alcantara caps (which slightly blocked air flow from the vents,) I tried covering the wood with a matte black vinyl wrap. Because the wood is real, the grain showed through the vinyl, making it look wrinkled, so I ultimately went for the Alcantara dash replacement. Couldn’t be happier with the result. The only downside, which is easily adjusted by running your hand across the dash, is the “grain” of the Alcantara which can show different shades across the dash depending on which way the “suede” is brushed. I’d imagine an Alcantara headliner would do the same thing on a larger scale.
Interesting. I had no idea it was real wood. Kinda cool, actually.