Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
Anyone know how the MS Plaid headlights compare to the older style? Are they the same? One thing I never liked about my MS was headlights were dim compared to pretty much any other high-end car. Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc. had far superior lighting.

Early reports are they're basically the exact same LED-based housing as the 2016.5 refresh models. Revision G to be specific that is supposed to resolve some of the common issues the first several iterations of this headlight. Time will tell I guess just like the previous revisions that didn't seem to improve long-term reliability at all. Tesla missed out on a great opportunity to introduce some well-needed headlight improvements and possibly even take it into the future new laser technology but, oh well. People don't need to see at night if the computer is driving for them so waste of resources, amirite?

tl;dr Same headlights

Early reports are they're basically the exact same LED-based housing as the 2016.5 refresh models. Revision G to be specific that is supposed to resolve some of the common issues the first several iterations of this headlight. Time will tell I guess just like the previous revisions that didn't seem to improve long-term reliability at all. Tesla missed out on a great opportunity to introduce some well-needed headlight improvements and possibly even take it into the future new laser technology but, oh well. People don't need to see at night if the computer is driving for them so waste of resources, amirite?

tl;dr Same headlights

That is darn disappointing, considering other manufacturers have active matrix headlights etc that selectively cut out a fraction of the beam tracking oncoming drivers.... but you're right only necessary while meat bags are driving the car, so it would be a waste of $$$.

This is my write up of the Plaid:

Good morning, here are a few observations i've learned since taking delivery of my plaid in late june.

1. The software is amazing but not complete. Sentra and Tesla cam features are functional but not fully baked in. You cannot view in car just yet. I discovered this last night.
  2. You have the ability to rewind streaming music but cannot rewind it from the main display but can from the rear screen.
  3. There isn't a way yet, to control or disable the rear screen access from someone that may decide to change to the station or volume.
Other observations are really good. Interior quality for this car (or at least mine) falls right in line from anything you'd see from a bmw or audi... its and evolution of the Tesla minimalist layout but the best yet. The headlights are in a different league from my 2017 90D....While my 90D were in intense, spread was meh, and it was plagued with hotspots. The Plaid headlights, are both intense and have a wide spread with no hotspots.

The sound system is also another highlight. While i believed the previous car's sound system was a tier above most luxury car base systems, it could not compare to the expensive upgraded options. In my opinion this is no longer the case... the clarity, sound stage, and detail are much improved and very comparable to the high end systems offered by luxury brands. It appears to have gotten better the more you play music (Maybe a breakend period?).

Overall I agree with Motor Trend's assessment of this car. Not perfect but this clearly puts the model S back at the top as far as UI and latest tech in the Tesla line up. Its the flagship vehicle from Tesla and it feels like it now.

This is my write up of the Plaid:

Good morning, here are a few observations i've learned since taking delivery of my plaid in late june.

1. The software is amazing but not complete. Sentra and Tesla cam features are functional but not fully baked in. You cannot view in car just yet. I discovered this last night.
  2. You have the ability to rewind streaming music but cannot rewind it from the main display but can from the rear screen.
  3. There isn't a way yet, to control or disable the rear screen access from someone that may decide to change to the station or volume.
Other observations are really good. Interior quality for this car (or at least mine) falls right in line from anything you'd see from a bmw or audi... its and evolution of the Tesla minimalist layout but the best yet. The headlights are in a different league from my 2017 90D....While my 90D were in intense, spread was meh, and it was plagued with hotspots. The Plaid headlights, are both intense and have a wide spread with no hotspots.

The sound system is also another highlight. While i believed the previous car's sound system was a tier above most luxury car base systems, it could not compare to the expensive upgraded options. In my opinion this is no longer the case... the clarity, sound stage, and detail are much improved and very comparable to the high end systems offered by luxury brands. It appears to have gotten better the more you play music (Maybe a breakend period?).

Overall I agree with Motor Trend's assessment of this car. Not perfect but this clearly puts the model S back at the top as far as UI and latest tech in the Tesla line up. Its the flagship vehicle from Tesla and it feels like it now.
Others have said the refresh is using the exact same headlight generation (G rev) as what is on the older cars, which is a let down if accurate.

Reactions: oktane
I know the refresh comes with adaptive headlights:
It's cute but what they NEED is better performing headlights overall. These LED headlights they came out with as an "upgrade" to the previous HID versions they created back in 2012 were a noticeable step down in performance. These little gimmicky features are fun but what they need to do is lead the industry in an important safety aspect of these cars rather than poorly copying other manufacturer's technology from a decade ago.

It's cute but what they NEED is better performing headlights overall. These LED headlights they came out with as an "upgrade" to the previous HID versions they created back in 2012 were a noticeable step down in performance. These little gimmicky features are fun but what they need to do is lead the industry in an important safety aspect of these cars rather than poorly copying other manufacturer's technology from a decade ago.

Absolutely agree. There is no reason headlight performance has to be so poor. The pre-refresh Model S headlights are substantially worse than early 2000s luxury cars.

If I were Tesla, I'd offer an optional "lighting package" and sell it for $2500 for an additional $1500 in quality headlight.

Per this thread, the understanding is that the refresh Model S is using the same exact headlights from the previous generations of Model S, which are far worse in brightness than the Model 3 or Y. I certainly agree that the Model S headlights suck.

Unlike that reported in this discussion, I took delivery of the Paid Model in Late September, and the headlights work well IMO. And just to sauy being on the other side of an oncoming car, the brightness of those lights are annoying, if not dangerous on 2 lane roads.i like the adaptive feature, but wait for the truly interactive headlights available in Europe on Tesla and others but outlawed here for some reason. They are likely finally coming here.

Unlike that reported in this discussion, I took delivery of the Paid Model in Late September, and the headlights work well IMO. And just to sauy being on the other side of an oncoming car, the brightness of those lights are annoying, if not dangerous on 2 lane roads.i like the adaptive feature, but wait for the truly interactive headlights available in Europe on Tesla and others but outlawed here for some reason. They are likely finally coming here.

The Model S headlights are not nearly as good as a modern german sedan