Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S - steering wheel yolk material peeling off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know how the G revision goes. I am hoping this gets resolved.

Also how many miles did it hold up for What ever the current revision is on your vehicle.. ?

Maybe someone here can start the Spread sheet and start tracking some data after how many miles of use they are starting to see the wear happening on the material.
My first replacement was at 4,000 miles and it was a revision E which initially felt tougher. After that I was extremely careful but the combination of the heat and the occasional brush against my jeans caused another wear spot. I am now at 15,000 miles. I doubt mileage will mean much because the overstretched material is very weak especially in hot weather. The smallest scratch will start the failure which will keep getting larger.

In order to preserve the new replacement I have started using "Easy Entry" to move the seat back and the yoke up and forward.

Fingers crossed that revision G has a more durable material.

Had mine replaced in May, and it was the "E" revision. The material doesn't feel any different than the original. So far, no wear points in 3 months.
I have a new replacement at the SC ready for when they can get me in and out same day (other issues too). I have confirmed that it is a G revision with the parts manager. Hopefully they will have made some changes to make it more durable. I will definitely report on it asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: jf2go
The new yoke seemed to have a slightly different Nox Vidmate VLC covering and feels more durable. The old one was more comfortable to hold as it seemed softer.
I hope there is really a change. My first replacement (Rev E) felt tougher but over time ended up like that original. Hopefully the rev G will indeed be tougher.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
2021 Model S- yoke steering wheel material on right side (under palm) material is cracking/abrasion type. Tesla refuses to recognize it as a quality issue.

Attachments

• 9CB40C66-5AA7-4719-BADD-72CC14020B92.jpeg
    9CB40C66-5AA7-4719-BADD-72CC14020B92.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 219
I am now on my 3rd yoke and am at 17k miles. This one is a revision G. It does feel like the material is tougher but I recall saying that about the last one which was a revision E. Looking at it closely I can see the weave of the cloth backing showing through. That is a sign that it is overstretched across the yoke surface. I don't have a lot of hope it is more durable.

If only leather was an option we would not be having this problem.

Oh man! I was afraid no one else was having this issue. Mine is peeling at the top corners. Scheduled a service appointment
Hi @Cyb_: We took delivery pretty close together at Glen Allen. I noticed the other day my yoke is starting to show some minor peeling. How bad is yours? I'm thinking of waiting until it gets a bit worse before scheduling service. Let me know how Glen Allen treats you on this!

Hey folks,

Just jumping in to say that I am experiencing a similar issue on my 2021 Model S LR.

The top left corner of the Yoke has started to peel despite me being very gentle with the car.

I just scheduled mobile service and requested a replacement.
Same thing happened to my ’21 MSLR but it’s the outside bottom left corner which has started to peel. The interior bottom left corner of the yoke is also starting to feel rough. I usually have my thumbs on the top of the yoke but there’s nothing there. I don’t wear a ring so it isn’t that. Sun exposure perhaps? All the photos I’ve seen show peeling on the left side of the yoke.

Same thing happened to my ’21 MSLR but it’s the outside bottom left corner which has started to peel. The interior bottom left corner of the yoke is also starting to feel rough. I usually have my thumbs on the top of the yoke but there’s nothing there. I don’t wear a ring so it isn’t that. Sun exposure perhaps? All the photos I’ve seen show peeling on the left side of the yoke.
Most likely getting in and out of the car, You leg rubs that area

Most likely getting in and out of the car, You leg rubs that area

Yup.

I’ve seen two problematic areas with the Yoke that experience this issue:

1) The bottom corners - This is likely from constantly rubbing that area while getting in and out of the vehicle.

2) The top “nubs“ - This area seems unpreventable because you’re supposed to hold the Yoke there. I’ve heard that the newer variations have more material to prevent this.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Hi @Cyb_: We took delivery pretty close together at Glen Allen. I noticed the other day my yoke is starting to show some minor peeling. How bad is yours? I'm thinking of waiting until it gets a bit worse before scheduling service. Let me know how Glen Allen treats you on this!
Hi Kenny! yeah we did take delivery pretty close to each other. Here's some pics of it. It started with the small nick, then went crazy

Attachments

• PXL_20220801_132054194.jpg
    PXL_20220801_132054194.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20220729_172657093.jpg
    PXL_20220729_172657093.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 117