Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid steering wheel led lights flicker when steering wheel heater on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share that my new Model S Plaid is having an odd issue. I noticed that the lighted steering wheel controls flicker on and off like it’s shorting out, only when the steering wheel heater is turned on. It stops when the heater is turned off.

i have a service appointment but it’s so bizarre to me. I’ll update when I find out what it is just in case anyone else ever has this happen. I’m no electrician but it feels like the heater draws too much power and it’s shorting out the LEDs supplying the controls. I hope this is not a larger issue.

This almost sounds like a clockspring issue inside the steering wheel hub. Do the lights vary in brightness as you turn the wheel?
They flicker between Brite and dimmer; they do not blink all the way off. I will have to drive it again to see if it's when turning. I think I first noticed it on the highway, there was not much turning. It does look like a bad connection; and it was also doing it when stopped.

Same issue here, flickering LEDs on the steering wheel, right from the begining (dec. 2021 MS Plaid), not related with the heating or turning. I noticed also one of the front lights (right one) doing the same when the car is on, with just the parking lights on.
Tesla changed the whole front light assembly and the steering wheel (which also started to peel 😉), no more flickering for the light but didn't helped for the LEDs.
I'll wait some to see if any updates will resolve the problem if not I'll take another (!!!) appointment with Tesla...