Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S - steering wheel yolk material peeling off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Approaching 7k miles and my yoke still looks new. How do you explain this and others are literally disintegrating.

I’m getting wheel next week. Yoke was not properly integrated
Mine took around 30k miles to start melting.

It has nothing to do with rubbing or wear for most, although that can cause it. The material will eventually melt on the top corners.

Approaching 7k miles and my yoke still looks new. How do you explain this and others are literally disintegrating.

I’m getting wheel next week. Yoke was not properly integrated

Body chemistry is different person to person as is their level of care car to car. Ever shake someone’s hand and it’s clammy af? Ever smell bo in public transit or at gym?

With that said, Tesla should’ve accounted for the science. Looks like they failed. Shocker.

P.S. My yoke is brand new as well 5k miles in and will remain this way no sweat

Mine took around 20k miles to start melting at the top of the left, and subsequently at the top of the right portion of the yoke. It started in the summer and you can tell the pleather covering the yoke is much softer in the summer. I believe it "melts" as others have said. Try it for yourself and see the different in how the yoke feels in the summer vs the winter.

And as to the sweaty hand thing, I will say that I am completely anal about keeping my steering wheels looking new for as long as possible. I ALWAYS wash my hands before going to my car. I hate a shiny steering wheel.

And as for the rubbing thing, it is true that likely can cause/exacerbate some of the wear but that wouldn't explain why it usually starts in the top corners of the yoke. As for my specifically, I have owned exotics all of my adult life and am well versed in dropping in butt first to sport seats so as to avoid bolster and wheel wear on aggressively bolstered sport seats much more so than those found in the Plaid. As for me, I never rubbed the yoke once getting in. If I can avoid the bolster/wheel in my McLaren, I can do it in my Tesla. I am super picky about seat wear as well.

Can you tell I am fun at parties?

amazing how years ago.. pre model 3... if we mentioned this stuff to Tesla they would basically kiss our ass and address it.. now if we even slightly criticize something that is total *sugar*. we are musk haters. its ****ing unreal how all of this has changed so much.

28k, looks like new. Had it replaced with a regular wheel for usability. They tried to take my yoke, which I politely refused since I own it. So it sits in my office. They did take the airbag though, something about "safety".

ahem...did you not see the 1,000+HP car you removed it from?

Adding...the original yoke felt like plastic. The new wheel has a leather-ish feeling, not injection-molded plastic, so it matches the vehicle better IMHO.

Reactions: NeuroRad
21k miles on 2021 and mine started the other day.

Attachments

• 20231205_091717.jpg
    20231205_091717.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 37
28k, looks like new. Had it replaced with a regular wheel for usability. They tried to take my yoke, which I politely refused since I own it. So it sits in my office. They did take the airbag though, something about "safety".

ahem...did you not see the 1,000+HP car you removed it from?

Adding...the original yoke felt like plastic. The new wheel has a leather-ish feeling, not injection-molded plastic, so it matches the vehicle better IMHO.
I’ll admit getting the sorta recent version to replace my original does feel nicer but I fear it will suffer the same fate. Also the heated yolk seems improved. More coverage of warmth.

Reactions: uscbucsfan and Evee