Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 S refresh, just bought, surprised at the low range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a great 2021 S refresh, love it, love it. But am highly disappointed that when I charged at home at 92% that it went up to only 305 miles. I had expected at least 350 miles and wonder what I can do. Bring it in for a diagnostic?

Just bought a great 2021 S refresh, love it, love it. But am highly disappointed that when I charged at home at 92% that it went up to only 305 miles. I had expected at least 350 miles and wonder what I can do. Bring it in for a diagnostic?
I own a December 2016 S90D with 50,000 miles. I lost 10% of my max range because of the miles and high Supercharger usage. My car had a maximum range of 297 miles when it was new and today my maximum miles at 100% is 261 miles. My maximum range now is 90% of what it was when the car was new.

There are many reasons that you may not be getting the range that you expect at 92% and they are:

1. High miles and you car is not new
2. The person that owned your car before you let the car sit at close to zero miles for a long period of time without charging it.
3. The person that owned your car before you charged the car to 100% often and did not drive the car to at least 90% range.
4. Your car has over 1,500 charge cycles

I would recommend that you drive your car so that the state of charge gets to 20%. You should then charge your car to 100% to find out the maximum range and then drive it so the range drops to at least 90%. Tesla's can lose 5-7 % range in the first 1 to 2 years and it then normally does not decrease a lot after that until it has higher miles and gets older.

Go to this website and enter you cars information:

I have my car's information on Recurrentauto and this will help you see other similar cars and if you battery is as good as theirs,

I hope this helps.

Reactions: baguette

Drive it. Run the battery down to 10% and charge it back to 90%. It likely just needs to recalibrate. I bought my S used as well (around 16k miles) and it took some drive and charging cycles to get back to “normal”. Now it shows 383 miles max, or about 345 mi at 90%. Right between a 5-6% loss of range from new - perfectly normal.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla lies about the range. Don't believe their range indicator. Switch over to showing battery % and you'll be much happier. As mentioned, if you have 21's, your range is going to suck. The heat doesn't help. Tesla assumes you'll be doing about 65 mph and no AC or heat to get their estimated range.

BTW - don't be charging to very high levels unless you really need the range. It will just accelerate your battery degradation. The refreshed S is still very fast at lower states of charge.

Recurrent auto as mentioned can provide some good insight into your battery. It may take a few days to get good info.

I personally think the claimed range for the LR with 21" wheels is off. If you look at the Plaid with the same wheels, they claim the range is 346. That is almost a 30 mile difference between the Plaid and LR. When you look at the 19's, there is only about a 10 mile range difference. I am rounding all for ease of comparison. I'll let you do the math as far the % difference is.

Having owned both cars, I think 350 is a more accurate target to compare against for an LR w/21's. So if you are getting about 325 miles in Florida, on 21's, I think you are doing pretty well. I don't know what part you are in and that can make a difference but I drove my MS LR w/19's all over Florida and the traffic moves pretty well on the highways (except rush hour of course) and hot temps running the AC has an impact.

So I'd say overall you are doing pretty well. Toss the 21's at some point and you will get better range. I'd say at least 10% or more. I was getting about 350-360 miles in Florida with mine. I was cruising pretty fast on the freeways too.

You live in a varm climate.
Warm climates causes the battery to degrade from calendar aging.
At a annual average cell temp of 32C / 90F its expected to loose about 7-7.5% the first year and another 2.5-3% the second year.

So you would expect to be about 10% low on the EPA numbers and the indicated range after about two years.

If you have the 21” set in the menu I guess that setting show about 375 miles when new? (At least the Plaid was EPA rated with both 19” and 21” wheels, and the setting change the range to the EPA numbers).

375 x 0.9 = 337.5 miles expected after two years.
92% of that is 310, so youre not very far off (if the 21” is selected and starts around 375 mi gor a new refresh).

If you have the 19” selected (405 miles new), then you are seeing some trouble I guess.
It would mean that you have lost close to 20% capacity/range which is not at all probable with no issues.

A BMS calib could be the first action, to try yo help the BMS to calculate the battery capacity.
Let the car sleep at 10% or below (no sentry/overheat protection, car locked and no peeking in the app) for at least a couple of hours, more time do not hurt.
Then let the car sleep at at least 90%, preferably 100%. Same time, same conditions.

The battery does get hurt by being at low SOC at all, and 100% is not noticably worse than 80-90%, so a couple of hours makes no harm and also let the battery balance the cells, wich might be needed.

I know there was some early refresh cars with battery issues (info can be found here on TMC).

If a couple of rounds of BMS calibs doesnt do it, contact the service center.
In 99% of the “I have a low range” the do nothing, as there is no isdues but if your car is affected from the issue they might.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The cars display of range at the little battery icon is useless. On the other hand, the navigator is fairly accurate at predicting remaining battery percent at the end of a trip. So use the navigator to find a good estimate of real range.

Reactions: Sohoprom