Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model S Refresh Roof Rack Installation Nightmare!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just let the service center install it. Not worth the headache or the heartache when you break the glass. They will also torque it down to the correct specifications. If the glass breaks, no debate as to how it gets replaced and who pays for it.
That was my logic. $75 install price as "insurance"... I plan to take it on/off as I only need a cargo box on couple road trips a year. I can blame them if it ever cracks, lol.

I ended up taking my roof rack off. It wasn't too hard to install/remove. I actually need to reinstall it this week for a Tahoe trip, lol.

As an upgrade for myself, I think I'll take my car into the local tint/clear-bra shop. I want them to redo the ghetto 3m clear bra for the rubber seats to something bigger.

Last edited:
My message wasn’t clear. I take mine off after every weekend ski trip. So I’m accustomed to installing them properly. On the latest install the rear driver side seat cracked the glass as I tightened the nuts. Tesla service said they’re not paying for it. I’m going to SC to argue the point.

No way I would install a wimpy roof rack on this thing.

BTW OEM Model X hitch fits like a glove. It even has Model S load specs on the hitch. Probably better efficiency than adding a sail on top too.

Towed 3500 lbs this weekend like there was nothing back there.
I installed both. Problem with the hitch is it does not assist you if you ski (unless you don't care about road grime getting all over your planks). A roof rack is essential for a box. Thankfully, I've had no difficulty to date and I've had my rack on and off many times.

No way I would install a wimpy roof rack on this thing.

BTW OEM Model X hitch fits like a glove. It even has Model S load specs on the hitch. Probably better efficiency than adding a sail on top too.

Towed 3500 lbs this weekend like there was nothing back there.
Hello, I'm also thinking about getting an OEM Model X hitch on my Model S refresh. Where did you buy the OEM Model X hitch? thanks!