Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Trunk Damage Upon Open/Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, had this happen to my '22 M3 today :( now the left side is lower than the right side and I can't close it without causing more damage. I scheduled an appointment in the Tesla app but got a message back saying they're not dealing with body repairs and to contact a Tesla approved body shop! Any recs on how best to get this fixed? (In the SF bay area)
PXL_20220529_174326318.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220529_173330752.jpg
    PXL_20220529_173330752.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: E90alex
Hey folks, had this happen to my '22 M3 today :( now the left side is lower than the right side and I can't close it without causing more damage. I scheduled an appointment in the Tesla app but got a message back saying they're not dealing with body repairs and to contact a Tesla approved body shop! Any recs on how best to get this fixed? (In the SF bay area)

Ugh I'm sorry this happened to you. As others have mentioned, you should be able to adjust it back so it's at least functional in the meantime. Has anyone on here tried to retorque the bolts as a preventative measure?

Tim

These pictures are post alignment and touched up paint. I'm supposed to get approval to the body shop, not sure if it will be covered.
I would insist it is covered. It’s a design flaw and of no fault of the owner.

Thankfully the garage here in the UK took full responsibility and are actually replacing the entire tailgate as part is bent.

We received a Model Y on Oct 31, 2021, and all panels looked (surprisingly) to be in decent alignment. By December, the trunk had a massive gap on the left side and was rubbing painted surfaces on the right. The alignment was so bad that the trunk would not close and actually cracked the right tail light. It took 3 weeks to get the car in for service, and then it took from Jan 17 to Mar 8 to repair the issue. The trunk came back straight. In a month, it was out of alignment again. We brought the car in, they told us that it was a "good will repair" and they "bent the hinges back." I'm sure nobody will be surprised that it was a bad repair, and now our trunk does not hold most of the time.

That second trip they observed that there was a bit of curb rash on one of the tires and suggested that the vehicle was "clearly in an accident that could have affected the trunk."

We have contacted the dealer again this time they are trying to bill us to align the trunk. We are about 2 days away from invoking lemon law rights because of this issue (the car was out of service for well over 30 days, and in California it seems pretty clear that they owe us a buyback if we want it - who knows how brutal that process will be, of course...). The comments in this thread that people are afraid to use their trunks ring true; the fact that we spent more than $60k on a car and we don't want to use the trunk for fear of damaging it is pretty outrageous.

We received a Model Y on Oct 31, 2021, and all panels looked (surprisingly) to be in decent alignment. By December, the trunk had a massive gap on the left side and was rubbing painted surfaces on the right. The alignment was so bad that the trunk would not close and actually cracked the right tail light. It took 3 weeks to get the car in for service, and then it took from Jan 17 to Mar 8 to repair the issue. The trunk came back straight. In a month, it was out of alignment again. We brought the car in, they told us that it was a "good will repair" and they "bent the hinges back." I'm sure nobody will be surprised that it was a bad repair, and now our trunk does not hold most of the time.

That second trip they observed that there was a bit of curb rash on one of the tires and suggested that the vehicle was "clearly in an accident that could have affected the trunk."

We have contacted the dealer again this time they are trying to bill us to align the trunk. We are about 2 days away from invoking lemon law rights because of this issue (the car was out of service for well over 30 days, and in California it seems pretty clear that they owe us a buyback if we want it - who knows how brutal that process will be, of course...). The comments in this thread that people are afraid to use their trunks ring true; the fact that we spent more than $60k on a car and we don't want to use the trunk for fear of damaging it is pretty outrageous.
I think the issue stems from Tesla "cheaping out" and putting a single powered strut on one side. This leads to uneven torque distribution upon opening the trunk (where the strut has to overcome the force of gravity) and the eventual bending or loosening of hinge hardware, or the sheetmetal the hinges are attached to.

The much heavier hatch of the Model S (with its large piece of glass) didn't have chronic issues like this. But each side had a power strut for lifting, so the torque during opening the hatch was distributed equally.

Reactions: Skione65
I thought that was only a thing on the Model 3? Does the Y only have one powered strut too?
Yes, it looks like only the left side of the Y is powered. And that certainly seems like a probable root cause. I'm not sure what there is to be done about it since it's almost certainly a design issue that the company isn't going to do anything about.

I also have no idea how often this happens to model Ys, but I can't imagine our usage is irregular in any way.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I’ve had my model 3 for 9 months. Having the same issue. Arrived at service center and was told that it isn’t covered under warranty. I asked them to tell me why it isn’t covered and got a lot of confusing statements. I told them that I brought the car in first week and one of the issues was gap on the left side of the trunk, which was visibly larger. At the time mechanic told me that this gap size is bigger, but it’s entirely normal and I shouldn’t worry about it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpeg
    IMG_2660.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 35
This has just happened to my MiC ‘21 M3. A couple of days ago it did a bit of a weird motion when closing, but I didn’t think much of it. Today I’ve noticed this same style of damage on the left hinge. Paint has rubbed and the boot part sits lower than it used to. Currently in Spain, don’t know whether to try and sort it while we’re here or back in the UK. Sounds like I’m going to have a fight over warranty cover, in any event. 😩