Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Trunk Damage Upon Open/Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not entirely convinced that a powered strut on one side is 100% safe, given it is upward force being applied to one side of the trunk.
The upward cycle can be a problem, but since the pneumatic strut applies upward force, CLOSING is much more of an issue IMO, since it has to overcome the tension of the pneumatic strut first, and from one side only. That's not good. I'm going to carefully watch mine cycle (both up and down), for any signs of twisting. And will lube the hinges as well.

Reactions: Durzel
Hello to all....

I am a casualty of this as well (Had my M3 for 6 months). I made an appointment with the service center and they rescheduled my appointment to the body shop here in Las Vegas which only handles insurance claims and out of pocket. I called the service center today and they told me that a manager has to look at it to determine if it's a warranty issue or not. I nearly lost my mind. I had absolutely no negligent involvement in the damage to the vehicle. I will let everyone know how this goes. Maybe with enough of these, Tesla will realize this is a mechanical issue and cover it under the warranty as they should.

Hello to all....

I am a casualty of this as well (Had my M3 for 6 months). I made an appointment with the service center and they rescheduled my appointment to the body shop here in Las Vegas which only handles insurance claims and out of pocket. I called the service center today and they told me that a manager has to look at it to determine if it's a warranty issue or not. I nearly lost my mind. I had absolutely no negligent involvement in the damage to the vehicle. I will let everyone know how this goes. Maybe with enough of these, Tesla will realize this is a mechanical issue and cover it under the warranty as they should.
Screenshot_20210701-172623_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210701-172610_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-172610_Gallery.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 312
Update on my visit to the service center. The manager inspected my vehicle and said that they would cover the damage. He also advised that it is a case by case basis on whether or not they cover the damage. He told me that if my was older, that it probably wouldn't have been. I don't know how much this helps. Best of luck to all that have experienced this issue.

Update on my visit to the service center. The manager inspected my vehicle and said that they would cover the damage. He also advised that it is a case by case basis on whether or not they cover the damage. He told me that if my was older, that it probably wouldn't have been. I don't know how much this helps. Best of luck to all that have experienced this issue.
Good news for you, but I honestly can't see how this can't be a warranty issue. Fair enough if somehow they could see (and prove!) that you had messed with the hinges, or some other part of the trunk assembly, but if the trunk causes damage through normal use that is patently a warrantiable failure.

I noticed my left (driver's side) trunk 'arm', is almost flush on the outside when closed, but it's recessed into the cavity next to the rear glass. Not enough to touch the roof part, but barely. The right side is almost flush everywhere. I also noticed a larger gap further below, where I can actually see the inside of the trunk when closed. And it was like that since day 1, and other M3s as well. The right side is much better, but the gap still wider than on other cars costing even less than mine.

I think the first step is to determine what is wrong: If the trunk lid itself is way off (more than mine, which I'd already consider defective), or the hinge itself. To make matters worse for a claim, is the issue is not happening immediately, but after some use. And THAT is what Tesla is apparently using as an excuse to blame the owners. Can you guys with the issue please analyze the left hinge carefully? And it only happens on the LEFT side, correct? By the way, I thought about reporting that panel issue when I bought the car, but since the other brand new ones looked exactly the same, I said to myself 'what for'. A replacement would be the same, and I didn't want a freaking body shop messing with my brand new car for something that you can only see when pointed to it. In addition, I lubed the hinges very well, and trunk is working fine as far as that... although it started closing with a 'slam', rather than soft-closing soon after delivery. It hasn't gotten any worse yet, so hope it stays that way. But I'm almost sure the side twisting action of only having ONE power strut is putting extra strain on the trunk, and whatever the defect ends up being, it's being exacerbated by that twisting torque only from the left side. Curious if somebody can determine what's being the root cause of this trunk issue.

My trunk started closing poorly, sometimes failing to latch. I have and appointment on Monday for that and everything else. I think I’ll be carefully opening and closing it manually for the time being.

I’m beginning to question this purchase. Hopefully they turn it around for me.

I had the same issue on my drivers (left) side on my 2021 SR+. I haven’t even had it for 2 weeks. I opened trunk via the app and closed it via the button and got a trunk open alert. It is significantly tighter (less of a panel gap) on the left when compared to the right. You can see where the trunk caught on the glass and caused my window to crack and where it is misaligned.

Waiting to hear back from the service centre on what the Body Shop says for a time frame but not using the trunk atm because I don’t want to risk more damage.

Attachments

• DA87D083-D5B9-4C4F-ADE6-57C06AE7029B.jpeg
    DA87D083-D5B9-4C4F-ADE6-57C06AE7029B.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 250
  • E69DED6E-B655-400C-AB51-3C3A396EDF3F.jpeg
    E69DED6E-B655-400C-AB51-3C3A396EDF3F.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 261
That’s as clear as day. Red paint residue on the glass as well.

It’s shocking that people are getting blowback about this. If the trunk tolerances are so small that they need to be installed with precision for this not to happen, then that’s what Tesla needs to be doing when they build the cars.

Suggesting that this is not covered under warranty when all the customer has done is tried to use their trunk is just ridiculous.

Reactions: priest777
Yeah had the same issue, 3 month old car. Tesla says it is not a warranty issue
View attachment 678393
They re-aligned it for me and had to pay 85 euro's for the re-alignment. Still stuck with a ugly damage:

View attachment 678394
I'm sorry but if that's how they "aligned" the trunk and the rails then you should get back to them again!
You can clearly see major height differences between the surfaces, in addition this is definitely a warranty issue and they should take responsibility fixing it.

I had the same issue on my drivers (left) side on my 2021 SR+. I haven’t even had it for 2 weeks. I opened trunk via the app and closed it via the button and got a trunk open alert. It is significantly tighter (less of a panel gap) on the left when compared to the right. You can see where the trunk caught on the glass and caused my window to crack and where it is misaligned.

Waiting to hear back from the service centre on what the Body Shop says for a time frame but not using the trunk atm because I don’t want to risk more damage.
This is incredibly shocking to me.....Tesla has some VERY VERY serious assembly issues on the production line....I mean WOW

I have to admit to after seeing this thread I was kind in a shock how is it possible to release cars like this?
The trunk alignment should be recognized upon first QA along with other defects, which are clearly not checked! (at least in the USA factories).

I strongly believe that if Tesla won't improve their build and assembly quality (and QA) they will suffer greatly in the future when other more traditional car companies are going to enter the EV market.

Reactions: Cnixon and Chemios
I have to admit to after seeing this thread I was kind in a shock how is it possible to release cars like this?
The trunk alignment should be recognized upon first QA along with other defects, which are clearly not checked! (at least in the USA factories).

I strongly believe that if Tesla won't improve their build and assembly quality (and QA) they will suffer greatly in the future when other more traditional car companies are going to enter the EV market.
There is no QA / QC in at least the Fremont factory