Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 wood trim: We don't like it? Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trim is finished with a urethane. Changing to a wax or an oil would require the urethane be removed first to get to the bare wood. That involves sanding and that scares me a bit. Plus the above video looks like there would be opportunities for me to eff it up. :oops: I'll probably just adjust my expectations and leave it the way it is.

Thanks all for the comments!

Reactions: JMonde
I’m one of those people who covered it with real carbon fibre, but that’s because I love real carbon fibre and have a lot of carbon fibre interior pieces to compliment it. The wood looks terrible and looks really out of place.
What do you mean by "covered it"? Can you show some pictures and tell us more? I also do not like the wood for a techie car. I have been looking at some carbon wraps. But real carbon would be better. I don't see any products though, other than ordering the parts from Tesla.

I wasn’t thrilled that the only wood in the MY was a strip in the dashboard and nowhere else. I contemplated getting aftermarket matching wood trim for the door panels and center console (and maybe the steering wheel). Then I found a company who takes the MY dashboard and covers it with the same Alcantara “suede” that’s on the door panels and phone charging area. Looks great, and I’ve had really positive comments from other owners and even the Tesla SC staff.
RPM Tesla (I’m just a satisfied customer, with no affiliation to the company) sends you a fully wrapped OEM dash for $550. Once you remove your wood one and send it back, you receive a $250 refund for a total replacement cost of $300. Pricy, yes. But it looks good and really unifies the interior. Oh, and if Alcantara isn’t your thing, I believe they also offer the same service for CF.

Reactions: Maric
Real carbon would be better. I don't see any products though, other than ordering the parts from Tesla.

What do you mean by "covered it"? Can you show some pictures and tell us more? I also do not like the wood for a techie car. I have been looking at some carbon wraps. But real carbon would be better. I don't see any products though, other than ordering the parts from Tesla.
Ying and Yang. Agave syrup in habanero sauce. I like the contrast. Being a carbon-based life form, I like the wood trim as a counterpoint to the high tech environment.