Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.24.8 Weird issue regarding the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model x refresh LR 5 seat
Had a SA today. They claim they heard it and it was “Isolated noise coming from the super manifold pumping and coolant pumps pumping coolant through the vehicle thermal system. Performed system thermal test (passed), and also performed a coolant air purge. System is operating as intended at this time.”
I’ll pick it up tomorrow and confirm they actually fixed it.
Sound was exactly like the YT video and I shared the link w them to demonstrate so thank you to OP for that

I’m on 28.2. Still hear it at night.
I am on 28.2 and have the the high pitched noise. It appeared around Sept 1st, 2022. The sound is coming from under the rear wheels…seems to be getting louder by the day. Loud when parked. Doesn’t matter if it was recently driven. No correlation with driving. I have a 2022 Model S running 28.2. My best estimate is that this started with the 28.1 update. I have 3,800 miles on my S. Appointment with Tesla service next week. Hope this gets fixed!

2022 MYP.

So I'm on 28.2 for a couple days. Now my autopilot is intermittent with cameras going on and off. I've tried a 2 button re-set and to re-calibrate the cameras. Sometimes works, other times nope. I'm not sure if it's a software thing, or maybe i actually have a camera that's being buggy.

2022 MYP.

So I'm on 28.2 for a couple days. Now my autopilot is intermittent with cameras going on and off. I've tried a 2 button re-set and to re-calibrate the cameras. Sometimes works, other times nope. I'm not sure if it's a software thing, or maybe i actually have a camera that's being buggy.
I’m on 24.8 and my car started doing this exact thing today.

May 2018; LR RWD TM3 with V3 hardware.

Just got 28.2 yesterday on my 2022 model S and took one trip to the doctor and when i was leaving to come home it started for me. It might have been making noise before then too but I never noticed it before. I recorded it in a Freq plot to attach my service appointment tomorrow. It is a 2khz ring with harmonics. Left rear wheel underbody is where it's loudest. If they try telling me this is normal I need a full refund on this car. No way I will live with this as it was never making this noise since I bought the car. Forget about it self driving me around the block if this continues it will drive me insane.

IMG_2577.jpg

Dropping off my car at the service center and there was a line of other 2022 Model S owners there all for the same reason. Someone needs to get fired for letting this through QA. I don't even have Advanced updates on, I went with Standard due to not wanting to be their beta tester lol... what a *sugar* show. Service guy said they had the issue in their system and a fix for it should be not in the next update but the one after that, maybe a couple months he said. I'm like you gotta be kidding me, I want this fixed tomorrow. Hate to sound like an intolerable but someone seriously needs to lose their job over this. Completely unacceptable.

My biggest concern in waiting months for a fix is what secondary damage is this issue not so silently causing whatever component is being driven wrong. Guy told me it was the battery 'contactors' fwiw.

My biggest concern in waiting months for a fix is what secondary damage is this issue not so silently causing whatever component is being driven wrong. Guy told me it was the battery 'contactors' fwiw.
Contactors are relays, that is, electrically-controlled switches. They make the loud "clunk" sound when the car turns on or off. I don't understand how the car could work at all if those were oscillating at 2KHz.

AFAIK, the "Standard/Advanced" setting currently has no impact. We're all beta testers.

Contactors are relays, that is, electrically-controlled switches. They make the loud "clunk" sound when the car turns on or off. I don't understand how the car could work at all if those were oscillating at 2KHz.

AFAIK, the "Standard/Advanced" setting currently has no impact. We're all beta testers.
apparently so... relays use a coil to throw the contactor into position essentially similar to a transformer coil and how it can make humming sounds depending on the frequency and voltage of the signal driving it. I'm guessing they use PWM to modulate the input signal to throw the switch and somehow it's not stable in this configuration or at the voltage and frequency they are using to modulate it... maybe some clever engineer trying to save a little power by reducing it's duty cycle or something, just a guess based on developing embedded systems and firmware for a living. could be way off base but that's my take on what's wrong based on what he told me.

apparently so... relays use a coil to throw the contactor into position essentially similar to a transformer coil and how it can make humming sounds depending on the frequency and voltage of the signal driving it. I'm guessing they use PWM to modulate the input signal to throw the switch and somehow it's not stable in this configuration or at the voltage and frequency they are using to modulate it... maybe some clever engineer trying to save a little power by reducing it's duty cycle or something, just a guess based on developing embedded systems and firmware for a living. could be way off base but that's my take on what's wrong based on what he told me.
I think that's exactly right. My guess is they've been doing this for a long time, and are now just tweaking the frequency to the lowest possible that keeps the contacts firmly closed, but got to a place where they may have set up some sympathetic resonance in some part in or around the contactor that the part tolerances in the field allowed, but in the lab / test cars did not.

I really doubt there's any direct functional performance or wear risk, but who knows. That they released this at all shows they didn't find it in testing, so for them say it's all for sure fine is logically then impossible.

FYI: Tesla service was not able to remotely diagnose the problem
I’m on 24.8 and my car started doing this exact thing today.

May 2018; LR RWD TM3 with V3 hardware.
FYI: Tesla service was not able to remotely diagnose the problem with autopilot. I had to bring it in. They replaced the computer. They said that updating the software cause the memory to go bad. He said that this were a problem with the older computers.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12