Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Blue MS Plaid - Mods Journal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know many others have done these, but wanted to start my own journey / chronicle of mods to my new car....

So far we have....

Factory Options
  • Deep Blue Metallic
  • 21” Arachnid Wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 265/35-21 101Y XL Front - 295/30-21 102Y XL Rear
  • White Leather w / Carbon Fiber Accents
  • FSD Capability

Additional updates:

- Xpel Satin PPF on panels
- Xpel Gloss PPF on all black trim
- Xpel Gloss PPF on headlights
- Xpel tinted PPF on tails
- 50% Tint Windshield
- 20% Tint Side windows & Back
- Ceramic Coating on top of Xpel + Wheels + Calipers
- Xpel Stealth Door Sills
- Illusion Orange Powder coated Brake Calipers
- Gloss Black Front T Emblem
- De-Badge Rear Emblems
- Remove Front Tag Holder
- Xpel RX8 Matte Display Protectors (Front and rear screens)
- Mountain Pass Brake Master Cylinder Brace
- Tesmanian Front Trunk Cargo Liner
- Tesmanian Rear Trunk Well Cargo Liner
- 256GB Max Endurance Micro SD and USB Reader – 2 Partitions – 1 for Sentry – 1 for Music
- USB Wireless Game Controllers (Abstract Ocean / Jowua)

Coming Soon:

- Lowering Links
- Unplugged Performance Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
- Unplugged Performance Stainless Brake Lines
- Manually Adjust / Tilt front screen toward driver

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,726
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 361
I know many others have done these, but wanted to start my own journey / chronicle of mods to my new car....

So far we have....

Factory Options
  • Deep Blue Metallic
  • 21” Arachnid Wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 265/35-21 101Y XL Front - 295/30-21 102Y XL Rear
  • White Leather w / Carbon Fiber Accents
  • FSD Capability

Additional updates:

- Xpel Satin PPF on panels
- Xpel Gloss PPF on all black trim
- Xpel Gloss PPF on headlights
- Xpel tinted PPF on tails
- 50% Tint Windshield
- 20% Tint Side windows & Back
- Ceramic Coating on top of Xpel + Wheels + Calipers
- Xpel Stealth Door Sills
- Illusion Orange Powder coated Brake Calipers
- Gloss Black Front T Emblem
- De-Badge Rear Emblems
- Remove Front Tag Holder
- Xpel RX8 Matte Display Protectors (Front and rear screens)
- Mountain Pass Brake Master Cylinder Brace
- Tesmanian Front Trunk Cargo Liner
- Tesmanian Rear Trunk Well Cargo Liner
- 256GB Max Endurance Micro SD and USB Reader – 2 Partitions – 1 for Sentry – 1 for Music
- USB Wireless Game Controllers (Abstract Ocean / Jowua)

Coming Soon:

- Lowering Links
- Unplugged Performance Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
- Unplugged Performance Stainless Brake Lines
- Manually Adjust / Tilt front screen toward driver
Good job all around. Maybe some nice forged wheels next?

Reactions: Jpandes
I’d love to know what you do for brake mods. My Plaid needs them too.
I liked the large sweep upgrade option from Unplugged Performance but rumor is they are having trouble getting them made and in stock….

If they get them in within the next 30 days, I’ll give ‘em a try, otherwise likely going with Racing Brake and their upgrade using the stock calipers….

I liked the large sweep upgrade option from Unplugged Performance but rumor is they are having trouble getting them made and in stock….

If they get them in within the next 30 days, I’ll give ‘em a try, otherwise likely going with Racing Brake and their upgrade using the stock calipers….

are they still backordered? i inquired about them a few months ago and they were pretty consistent in getting me to purchase, even though they weren't available yet. i'd love to order, but i would like to be in first...

are they still backordered? i inquired about them a few months ago and they were pretty consistent in getting me to purchase, even though they weren't available yet. i'd love to order, but i would like to be in first...
Can’t say for 100% certainty, it’s just hearsay but have seen posts by others in the last few weeks indicating they have been waiting for months. Some indicate they are giving up and going with other options.

I can say I ordered the stainless brake lines a month ago and haven’t shipped yet.

A few updates... Nothing major but the infatuation continues....

First, I realized I didn't get a picture of the Mountain Pass Master Cylinder Brace installed....

Next, Stainless Brake lines from and rear sway bar from Unplugged Performance have arrived.... (Not installed YET)

I did go ahead and manually tilt the main screen a bit, only about 1/3 inch as I was afraid of going too far but may go back for another 1/2 soon....

Replaced the OEM wipers with some aftermarket options.
Bosch Aerotwin Set part # 3397007638

Increased passenger wiper length from 20" to 21"

It was really more to identify aftermarket / replacement options. These appear to be exactly the same as the OEM other than the printed brand name. But happy I have options available at a lower cost and easier accessibility.

Finally, picked up the CCS1 adapter to allow fast charging at non Tesla chargers....

Would really like to get the new brake lines and the rear sway bar installed but the next few weeks will be crazy busy (I throw a rather large Independence day party for 130+ of my closest friends and family)... But maybe I'll get them on before summer is over!

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 215
Finished putting together my emergency / roadside kit for the Tesla... First aid kit, basic hand tools, roadside safety items, jack, 12v compressor with sealant, tire plug kit and E100 Fire Extinguisher... REALLY happy with how it turned out.

Especially the jack... Its the one from the Ram Promaster and the alignment nipple works perfectly. Also appreciate that it has a high weight rating and high lift. Also has a pretty nifty feature of including a thumbwheel to allow you to move it up to the chassis without tools AND it even has the same size nut (21mm) as the wheel lugs so I can interchange the socket as needed.

Also loving the small fire extinguisher. Watched a lot of vids and reviews... It seems awesome and I'll likely get some for my other vehicles. Maybe even the home garage and kitchen.

Not sure if we will take the Tesla for long family trips but if we do, I may add a spare wheel / tire for those trips as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0852S.JPG
    IMG_0852S.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0853S.JPG
    IMG_0853S.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0855S.JPG
    IMG_0855S.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0856S.JPG
    IMG_0856S.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0858S.JPG
    IMG_0858S.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 231
Finished putting together my emergency / roadside kit for the Tesla... First aid kit, basic hand tools, roadside safety items, jack, 12v compressor with sealant, tire plug kit and E100 Fire Extinguisher... REALLY happy with how it turned out.

Especially the jack... Its the one from the Ram Promaster and the alignment nipple works perfectly. Also appreciate that it has a high weight rating and high lift. Also has a pretty nifty feature of including a thumbwheel to allow you to move it up to the chassis without tools AND it even has the same size nut (21mm) as the wheel lugs so I can interchange the socket as needed.

Also loving the small fire extinguisher. Watched a lot of vids and reviews... It seems awesome and I'll likely get some for my other vehicles. Maybe even the home garage and kitchen.

Not sure if we will take the Tesla for long family trips but if we do, I may add a spare wheel / tire for those trips as well.
Very nice! I have questions!!!! How much does it weigh? How much did it cost you? Where do we order? hahaha

Reactions: Daniel454
Very nice! I have questions!!!! How much does it weigh? How much did it cost you? Where do we order? hahaha
Thanks, don't have the weights but can try to get them this weekend.

The jack is a little heavy, a thread over in the Model 3 area references an aluminum Porsche jack that also has an alignment peg. It's supposed to be a lot lighter but I wasn't a fan as the weight rating was borderline. It also requires you to shave down the alignment peg and was a bit pricey in comparison although those were lesser concerns.

You can find the Jack I bought on eBay, just search for" Ram Promaster Jack" (also try "Ram Pro Master Jack"). Should be able to find one with the cloth roll up cover for ~$70 - $90 shipped. Be careful, they have two versions, one with a plastic holder, one with the cloth.

I will admit, its probably overkill, where the Porsche jack was a little under rated for my liking, this was made to lift a commercial van so its going to be over rated. And as such, comes the added weight. But its no more difficult to carry / use than any other scissor jack I have ever used. And it comes with a few other advantages such as a really high lift height as well as it sticks out from under the side a good distance keeping the tools away from the paint on the door / fender.

The tire plug kit was from Amazon for about $19, lots of vendors selling those but the one I picked up was here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JFNDF3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is some discussion about them not being the best on another thread I created....
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/emergency-roadside-kit-jack.268161

The one I bought has the metal handles and in a quick bend test seems to be ok but I haven't had a chance to test it properly yet. Someone on that thread suggested: Tire Tools, Supplies and Changers from Myers Tire Supply | Myers Tire Supply

The roadside / emergency kit was from Roadside Safety Kit

Its pricey at $65 (You can save a few $$s on eBay there too). It included things such as the warning triangle and the high vis safety vest. I moved those over to the jack set which made room in the red Tesla bag for additional minor cut / incident first aid items from Walmart (Smaller band aids, burn jell, tape, cold compress, antibiotic ointment, etc.). You could build that set a lot cheaper but I liked the bright red bag and also noteworthy, it comes with the Velcro style bottom so if you don't have a liner in your trunk, it keeps it from sliding around.

Element E100 fire extinguisher I picked up from Element E100 Fire Extinguisher for EV Owners
That manufacturer appears to control the pricing of the product, I couldn't find it advertised cheaper anywhere else but evannex did have a $10 off coupon available at the time (ELONBUCKS) so total for that was $110. You can find a smaller version out there (E50) for about $75 as well.

The 12v compressor / sealant set ($60), extending lug wrench ($25) and the extra 21mm non-marring socket ($8) were all from Amazon as well.

That compressor appears to be VERY SIMILAR to the one Tesla used to sell (but has been sold out for months) and I have a very similar one that came with my previous vehicles as well so fairly confident they are all made by the same company and the few times I used the other ones, they worked well, albeit a little slow.

I should mention, you don't HAVE to get that extending lug wrench set and extra 21mm socket as the jack uses a 21mm socket on the end so technically the jack set comes with a 21mm attachment that COULD be used.... Its very basic though and really made more for the jack than lug nuts so while technically it would work, I thought it would KILL my hands. So I went the other direction, tossed the arms that came with the jack and since it uses 21mm as well, I will be using the extending lug wrench on the jack it self to raise the vehicle. One less thing to carry and much better quality.

The rest of the hand tools / headlamp / zip ties / Black & White storage bag were all extras I had laying around.

All in, if you had to buy EVERYTHING, probably about ~$400...

Do some digging on eBay and Amazon warehouse deals, you can probably get it down to about $375. $340 if you went with the E50 fire extinguisher and likely under $300 if you built your own first aid kit.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Alex Philips
Finally got in another mod today, although extremally minor... I was missing the cargo net I had in previous vehicles so added one to the S....

Picked this one up from Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015KN65UK/

A 1/8" drill bit and a few measurements and very happy with the result....

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

The top screws engaged metal no issue, the bottom two were a bit short, seem to be holding for now but may have to swap them for longer ones once I start using it to haul groceries... We shall see.

Also got a few new pics of the current fleet....

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

Reactions: KyleDay
Thanks, don't have the weights but can try to get them this weekend.

The jack is a little heavy, a thread over in the Model 3 area references an aluminum Porsche jack that also has an alignment peg. It's supposed to be a lot lighter but I wasn't a fan as the weight rating was borderline. It also requires you to shave down the alignment peg and was a bit pricey in comparison although those were lesser concerns.

You can find the Jack I bought on eBay, just search for" Ram Promaster Jack" (also try "Ram Pro Master Jack"). Should be able to find one with the cloth roll up cover for ~$70 - $90 shipped. Be careful, they have two versions, one with a plastic holder, one with the cloth.

I will admit, its probably overkill, where the Porsche jack was a little under rated for my liking, this was made to lift a commercial van so its going to be over rated. And as such, comes the added weight. But its no more difficult to carry / use than any other scissor jack I have ever used. And it comes with a few other advantages such as a really high lift height as well as it sticks out from under the side a good distance keeping the tools away from the paint on the door / fender.

The tire plug kit was from Amazon for about $19, lots of vendors selling those but the one I picked up was here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JFNDF3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is some discussion about them not being the best on another thread I created....
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/emergency-roadside-kit-jack.268161

The one I bought has the metal handles and in a quick bend test seems to be ok but I haven't had a chance to test it properly yet. Someone on that thread suggested: Tire Tools, Supplies and Changers from Myers Tire Supply | Myers Tire Supply

The roadside / emergency kit was from Roadside Safety Kit

Its pricey at $65 (You can save a few $$s on eBay there too). It included things such as the warning triangle and the high vis safety vest. I moved those over to the jack set which made room in the red Tesla bag for additional minor cut / incident first aid items from Walmart (Smaller band aids, burn jell, tape, cold compress, antibiotic ointment, etc.). You could build that set a lot cheaper but I liked the bright red bag and also noteworthy, it comes with the Velcro style bottom so if you don't have a liner in your trunk, it keeps it from sliding around.

Element E100 fire extinguisher I picked up from Element E100 Fire Extinguisher for EV Owners
That manufacturer appears to control the pricing of the product, I couldn't find it advertised cheaper anywhere else but evannex did have a $10 off coupon available at the time (ELONBUCKS) so total for that was $110. You can find a smaller version out there (E50) for about $75 as well.

The 12v compressor / sealant set ($60), extending lug wrench ($25) and the extra 21mm non-marring socket ($8) were all from Amazon as well.

That compressor appears to be VERY SIMILAR to the one Tesla used to sell (but has been sold out for months) and I have a very similar one that came with my previous vehicles as well so fairly confident they are all made by the same company and the few times I used the other ones, they worked well, albeit a little slow.

I should mention, you don't HAVE to get that extending lug wrench set and extra 21mm socket as the jack uses a 21mm socket on the end so technically the jack set comes with a 21mm attachment that COULD be used.... Its very basic though and really made more for the jack than lug nuts so while technically it would work, I thought it would KILL my hands. So I went the other direction, tossed the arms that came with the jack and since it uses 21mm as well, I will be using the extending lug wrench on the jack it self to raise the vehicle. One less thing to carry and much better quality.

The rest of the hand tools / headlamp / zip ties / Black & White storage bag were all extras I had laying around.

All in, if you had to buy EVERYTHING, probably about ~$400...

Do some digging on eBay and Amazon warehouse deals, you can probably get it down to about $375. $340 if you went with the E50 fire extinguisher and likely under $300 if you built your own first aid kit.
Excellent! You did a lot of work here and I'm inspired to follow suit