Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Calif. Clean Air Sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SoCal Buzz

Early Adopter
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2018
OC, Calif.
Well the new sticker color is in, and ugly.

Only good news is that even though I applied in 2021, they waited until Jan. 1 to authorize. So it’s now valid until 9/30/25 instead of 2024.

ED78694C-B9B6-448B-A36D-FE3129FE9E72.jpeg

Do they really pull over teslas without the sticker? I’m thinking about just keeping mine in the glove box
Yes, they do and it’s an expensive ticket. But since 2013 I’ve only used 1 small sticker on PPF as depicted on 3 cars (instead of 4 all over the sides and front), and never had a problem with minimalist approach.

Yellow. but not that old yellow.
This is the “new” yellow, slightly more orangish. The very first version on old Prius’s is no longer valid.

Do they really pull over teslas without the sticker? I’m thinking about just keeping mine in the glove box
Back when things were simpler they didn’t really bother. But now that there are different color stickers every year, not everyone is eligible for them even on new cars, and a great many early Teslas had stickers that are now expired, the sticker itself is really the only way to determine eligibility.

If/when they do pull you over, “I didn’t want to put the sticker on my pretty car” is unlikely to be an acceptable excuse for wasting their time.

So since the program is ending, is this the best year of sticker? As in, if I apply today vs next year I'll get the same benefit, correct?

Never applied for a sticker on my 2016..
Basically yeah, no time like the present.

I think it’s extremely unlikely that the program will be extended, what with the increasing prevalence of EVs and the fact that HOV lanes are more or less fundamentally broken right now due to congestion.

That has been said before , but then re-continued, although with additional restrictions. It is up to California legislature to decide.
Of course. But like I said above, EV sales increases combined with the overall bustedness of HOV lanes already makes that seem pretty unlikely. EV sales are already 10% of the market in California and could easily be double that by 2025.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Alternatively they could remove plug-in hybrids from getting a decal.
I agree they have no business being eligible in 2022 let alone 2025, but that’s not nearly enough to make a difference. Pure BEVs are already outselling plug in hybrids by more than 2:1. There’s simply not enough HOV lane capacity available to continue the incentive as the EV share of overall vehicles rapidly increases.

Reactions: sorphin
They are removing all the HOV lanes here in the Bay Area and converting to express/toll Lanes. I think the sticker gets you a discount or maybe free access?

Funny how that works - our taxes went to build the HOV lanes, then again to convert to express Lanes, and now we have to pay to use them...

That has been said before , but then re-continued, although with additional restrictions. It is up to California legislature to decide.
This take is misleading. For the first 2016 expiration, there was a bill in 2013 to extend things to 2019.
California's Green and White HOV Sticker Program to be Extended Through 2019

Then in 2017 things were extended to 9/2025 as it is now:
Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

There wasn't a case like now where they are already cutting into the expiration times of the last series (if you get your sticker now, you only get max of 3 years, 9 months and counting down) and still no bill at all being introduced to extend things (or even noise calling for it).

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
They are removing all the HOV lanes here in the Bay Area and converting to express/toll Lanes. I think the sticker gets you a discount or maybe free access?

Funny how that works - our taxes went to build the HOV lanes, then again to convert to express Lanes, and now we have to pay to use them...
Sticker lets you use the Express lane for free even if you’re the only one in the car (you still need a Fastrak Flex transponder, you just set it to “3” all the time so you don’t get charged).

As I understand the Express lanes will remain free for actual “high occupancy” cars for the time being, but you can also pay to play if you’re riding solo (Lexus Lane style).

Sticker lets you use the Express lane for free even if you’re the only one in the car
That changed on the majority of Calif. Express Lanes a few years ago. Some lower volume hwys still allow EVs to switch transponder to 3+, but most now only provide a 15% discount for single occupancy, eligible cars. Your Clean Air Vehicle registration must be set up with Fastrak to get the discount.

Well the new sticker color is in, and ugly.

Only good news is that even though I applied in 2021, they waited until Jan. 1 to authorize. So it’s now valid until 9/30/25 instead of 2024.

View attachment 753514
They are ugly. I just got mine and was about to put them on the same way that I put on my stickers on my other EVs (with one little one on the rear bumper as pictured in your post) BUT read the instructions and now am confused. Did the instructions change? The ones that came with mine say place both little stickers on the "front bumper".

Specifically, the instructions for the Small Decals states "Place on the right and left side of the front bumper, with the State Seal in the up position".

It's ugly enough with one in front and one in back. Having both in front in "stereo" will be worse.