Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Performance trade up to 2023 Model S Plaid - handling differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S already tanks in value without needing to be discontinued. And 10 years from now once the world catches on that all these EV's have $20K batteries that wear out with time, not just miles, you won't be able to get anything for your used EV if you haven't put in a brand new replacement battery before the sale.
Good point

Oddly no Model S’ available near Philly. Any version.
Apparently dropping your pants on pricing helps to lower inventory. There are still over 270 in inventory waiting for new homes, but the inventory level is definitely way down with the desperation price drops.

1694526404535.png

Last edited:
I went from a 21 M3P (lowered with H&R springs) to a Plaid a couple of months ago.

I do not miss anything from the M3P.
Being used to high power cars and about the similar acceleration between 100-200kph, I always felt a bit dissapointed with the M3P loos much power above 100 kph.
The plaid do not loos the punch.

Other things is I thought the Model 3 was not silent on highways. The plaid has the premium feeling for being not that noisy at highway speeds. I had (still have) premium Audis and the model 3 had not much of the premium feeling at all. First time I sat in a Plaid/MS refresh I felt that this is what I need.

The air suspension is comfortable in the soft modes (a lot softer than I am used to), but can be set more stiff in the sport mode or advanced.
I havent really tested the MS on track, I have the feeling that it even if it is quicker it wont have that gokart feeling as the M3P. But I guess the gokart geeling comes from a stiff, not comfortable setup so…

I also like the ventilated seats, I’m not a fan of the fake leather in the model 3. No breathibg and gets warm on drives.
I guess its fake leather in the MS as well but the feeling of the fabric is much better. Togheter with the ventilation, longer dives is not ”sweaty pants”.
I really appreciate this comment.
I've got a '21 Model 3 Performance (lowered on TSportLine springs), and have been thinking of upgrading to a Model S Plaid. The points you make are the EXACT things I dislike about my car and were curious about. Lack of punch above 60mph, noisy cab, lack of ventilated seats (my diesel truck has vented seat, but my 'luxury car' does not...), premium suspension (5-link).
I think this comment alone is going to make me list my Model 3 for sale.

Thanks!!

Reactions: AAKEE and windings
I've got a '21 Model 3 Performance (lowered on TSportLine springs), and have been thinking of upgrading to a Model S Plaid. The points you make are the EXACT things I dislike about my car and were curious about. Lack of punch above 60mph, noisy cab, lack of ventilated seats (my diesel truck has vented seat, but my 'luxury car' does not...), premium suspension (5-link).

Thanks!!
The one place where my 3 is better than my Plaid is in tight city traffic. If I lived in NYC, I'd prefer my 3 over my Plaid and get some ventilated seats for it. Otherwise it is the Plaid all day long. It has a lot of the versatility of the Y with the hatch. More comfy seats for me plus the ventilation. Bigger screen is a plus as well as the one in front of the dash. As mentioned the power on tap is always fun and the range is better. The S still looks better to me than the 3 as well.

Reactions: AAKEE
The one place where my 3 is better than my Plaid is in tight city traffic. If I lived in NYC, I'd prefer my 3 over my Plaid and get some ventilated seats for it. Otherwise it is the Plaid all day long. It has a lot of the versatility of the Y with the hatch. More comfy seats for me plus the ventilation. Bigger screen is a plus as well as the one in front of the dash. As mentioned the power on tap is always fun and the range is better. The S still looks better to me than the 3 as well.
Yep, I can see in NYC the 3 being easier. Been there with mine. No issues, but I get that a larger car would be harder, especially in the tight parking garages.

The Tesla utilitarian interior design is certainly not for everyone. But I’ll take the Tesla integrated UI over any of the competitors. And I’m happy to be rid of the excess buttons and other controls (except turn signals and horn 🙂). The Tesla seats aren’t as nice, but new sound system is excellent along with addition of wireless chargers, cooling seats and fabric textures.
Over time I’ve come to quite like the seats. The thing i appreciate most is that they aren’t designed for a 300lb person like most American cars. They could use some more lateral support but otherwise are quite good. And the ventilation is really well executed.

Reactions: AAKEE
Over time I’ve come to quite like the seats. The thing i appreciate most is that they aren’t designed for a 300lb person like most American cars. They could use some more lateral support but otherwise are quite good. And the ventilation is really well executed.
I agree, lateral support on 2018 Tesla was better, but I would still take the new ventilated seats over them.

I like the seats on the model S much better. The model 3 (M3P) seats was slippery for cornering and also accelerations.
The leather feels much less plastic (not at all really).

Thanks!!
All those reasons are why I traded my 3P for the Plaid. You won’t be disappointed.

If my Plaid is still running in 10 years, it will have cost me about 10k a year for depreciation. Maybe a bit more because of the track pack brakes. I really can't think of another car that really hits the high points that matter for me 99% of the time. Unless something catastrophic happens, my battery pack could realistically be in good shape even 10 years out, especially with my charging habits.

I really can't ask for more performance than it gives for daily street use. Even if my batteries degrade about 10-12%, I'll still likely have a mid 9 second car that should easily get to 60 mph in the low 2 to mid 2's. I can realistically say if they come out with something faster, I really don't need it. I doubt it will be that much faster than the current Plaid without something that doesn't rely on the traction of tires for acceleration.
Good chance it will have more power that can start to make a difference from 80+ mph but I am not that often in range accelerating hard on the street. So really not much benefit for me. I just look at the Sapphire and think, meh, I don't really care that much about its numbers. There will always be something quicker and I've found under 3 seconds to 60 and less than 5 to 100 and I am a pretty happy driver. I'll appreciate the improvements of cars but it won't make me run out and buy one.

I also think at some point the gov't will step in and put a stop to the fun. I think we might be very close to that now. Tesla could easily send out an update and limit all the cars to 85 mph and some predetermined rate the safety nannies think is safe for the road. Wealth doesn't equate with wisdom and that can translate into people doing a lot of stupid things on the street. Do them often enough and it attracts the attention of Big Brother. So while I like to drive fast, I pretty carefully choose where I let the Plaid stretch its legs.
Well said, couldn't have said it any better. Improving the 0-60 time from 2secs to 1.75secs or 1.5secs I really don't care either!!

Thank you. I am a bit nervous, because I love the M3P
I sold my M3P for a Plaid about a year ago. It’s fun, especially when it’s new.

Fun tip: figure out a way to (safely) film people’s (including yourself) reactions during their first launch. I’ve found that placing my phone screen-down on the charging pad and using my phone’s wide angle lens setting can capture the faces. You can get fancier with it and use a suction mount on the top glass, just make sure it can hold on!

It’s quicker than anyone can describe to you, so first impressions are always a moment. For example, Doug DeMuro (who has driven a lot of fast cars, including McLaren P1, Porsche 918, etc) reacted like this:

Well, it's done. Sold the Model 3 P and got the Plaid! I like it, but it does give up some things from the M3P. But gives you a lot more. I am waiting 500 miles before really getting into it, just in case, even though there is no break in period, at least the tires and brakes have to seat in.

What you lose is:
  • Go kart handling, but Plaid can be driven fast through corners with more finesse.
  • I use a low seating position and low steering wheel, this blocks the top of the instruments on the dash "behind" the wheel. I prefer the M3P one screen that shows everything. There are some nicer features of the two displays and I'm sure I'll get used to it with time.
  • Size - it's big
  • Actual push buttons for door exit
  • Stalks - dude, no turn sign/high beam stalk, just plain sucks, but all Teslas are going this way anyway
  • Brakes feel better in the M3P
  • Slightly better headlights and fog lights

What you gain:
  • Tremendous power increase, specially noticeable after moving, don't even have to go crazy
  • More comfortable ride and adjustable suspension
  • Better overall handling
  • Better looks
  • A little more interior space
  • Way quieter inside
  • Nicer interior finishes
  • Slightly better audio system, but not much different
  • The ability for the kids to watch movies in the back screen while driving and having the audio back there only and they can't tell it's not upfront.
  • Rear wireless charger (but it's a little unreliable)
  • Knowing you have the quickest accelerating production car in the world!
Is it worth it? It depends on what you value. But I do not think it is worth $140,000 (to me) Would I go back? Only if Tesla releases a M3 Plaid that outperforms the current S Plaid. That being said, I need a few thousand miles with it, as I do think the extra size will come in handy.