Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Performance trade up to 2023 Model S Plaid - handling differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am considering trading my 2022 Model 3 Performance to a 2023 S Plaid. But my main concern is the handling. The 3P handles very well and has quicker steering ratio making it feel even more responsive. But by the numbers, the Plaid actually pulls more g on a turn and faster slalom time and even brakes better from 100-0. (Car and driver). Of course the Plaid is nicer in every way and the performance is insanly higher, but that's not something I can use every day and the handling is. Also, this would be a a heavy weight financially, since I am not rich, but I think I can make it happen, but it won't be easy.

So while this is up to me and what my likes and dislikes are, I was wondering if anyone here has done this "upgrade" and my questions are:

Do you miss the more nimble M3P or does the Plaid more than make up for the slightly less agile feeling?

The Model S is like driving a boat compared to the Model 3. They are not in the same league. The Model 3 feels like a cheap tin can compared the Model S though. The Model S is more of a luxury car, but is not on par with it’s competitors for luxury so they keep dropping the price. And it’s much less reliable than the 3, and the attitude is, “what did you expect, you bought a Model S?” My Model S just blew a motor in dramatic fashion and will probably be in the shop for a month or 2. Build quality is much worse too.

Model 3 is just a fantastic, fun car, handling wise. Model S Plaid takes more effort and you definitely feel the extra weight...but that power! It's crazy! Unlike anything you've ever experienced. I used to road race motorcycles, auto crossed almost all my cars, and tracked my Lotus Elise. Nothing, and I mean nothing, pulls like a Model S Plaid! Like, mind shaking acceleration. It's almost unsettling. You know that feeling you get in your stomach when you launch your model 3 performance (or a Porsche Turbo S or a Yamaha R1)? Well, you get that same feeling by pressing the accelerator about a quarter of the way down...at any speed under 100MPH!

TLDR; My opinion is it's worth the handling drop off for the power of the Plaid. Also, it's awesome owning the fastest car out there (at least once in your life)!

Model 3 is just a fantastic, fun car, handling wise. Model S Plaid takes more effort and you definitely feel the extra weight...but that power! It's crazy! Unlike anything you've ever experienced. I used to road race motorcycles, auto crossed almost all my cars, and tracked my Lotus Elise. Nothing, and I mean nothing, pulls like a Model S Plaid! Like, mind shaking acceleration. It's almost unsettling. You know that feeling you get in your stomach when you launch your model 3 performance (or a Porsche Turbo S or a Yamaha R1)? Well, you get that same feeling by pressing the accelerator about a quarter of the way down...at any speed under 100MPH!

TLDR; My opinion is it's worth the handling drop off for the power of the Plaid. Also, it's awesome owning the fastest car out there (at least once in your life)!
That's exactly what I am thinking. And I do drag race and got tired of being beat by the GT500's and the Hellcats. I always take them off the tree and then 3/4 of the way down the track, they blow by me. I have a lot of the races on my YouTube channel. But I keep hearing about the unreliability and interior falling apart. is it really that bad? I have 30,000 miles in my 3 after one year and the only issue was a water leak in the trunk from the taillights that was fixed.

Reactions: Speedr117
Make sure you get the Track Pack. All the cool kids are doing it.

IMG_2955.jpeg

So I am considering trading my 2022 Model 3 Performance to a 2023 S Plaid. But my main concern is the handling. The 3P handles very well and has quicker steering ratio making it feel even more responsive. But by the numbers, the Plaid actually pulls more g on a turn and faster slalom time and even brakes better from 100-0. (Car and driver). Of course the Plaid is nicer in every way and the performance is insanly higher, but that's not something I can use every day and the handling is. Also, this would be a a heavy weight financially, since I am not rich, but I think I can make it happen, but it won't be easy.

So while this is up to me and what my likes and dislikes are, I was wondering if anyone here has done this "upgrade" and my questions are:

Do you miss the more nimble M3P or does the Plaid more than make up for the slightly less agile feeling?
The Model S will go around corners faster than a Model 3, stock for stock. However, the 3 definitely FEELS like it handles better. I don’t miss the more nimble 3 at all. The S is in another league, especially the Plaid.

That's exactly what I am thinking. And I do drag race and got tired of being beat by the GT500's and the Hellcats. I always take them off the tree and then 3/4 of the way down the track, they blow by me. I have a lot of the races on my YouTube channel. But I keep hearing about the unreliability and interior falling apart. is it really that bad? I have 30,000 miles in my 3 after one year and the only issue was a water leak in the trunk from the taillights that was fixed.

I haven't had my Plaid for very long, but a friend of mine has had his for over a year, and the only issue he has had was the Yoke peeling. I had a 2017 Model S, and while there were a few issues, they were all minor (i.e. door handle). Car looked brand new when I got rid of it, and it was almost 6 years old and had over 50,000 miles on it. So if the old one was that reliable...

not on par with it’s competitors for luxury so they keep dropping the price.
IMO, that’s not why Tesla is dropping the price. They have significant pricing power and production efficiencies, and can be more competitive. Prices on Audi GT, Taycan, etc. are exorbitant relative to range and performance (despite more luxurious interiors).

IMO, that’s not why Tesla is dropping the price. They have significant pricing power and production efficiencies, and can be more competitive. Prices on Audi GT, Taycan, etc. are exorbitant relative to range and performance (despite more luxurious interiors).

Dude, c’mon man! The Model S’s were clogging the inventory because no one was buying them at the price they were asking. That’s the ONLY reason they dropped prices.

Dude, c’mon man! The Model S’s were clogging the inventory because no one was buying them at the price they were asking. That’s the ONLY reason they dropped prices.
I agree with that statement completely… they were too expensive. Just saying the price was not dropped because luxury was not on par with competitors. On the contrary, pricing on competitors is even more out of whack now, relative to what you get.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
I agree with that statement completely… they were too expensive. Just saying the price was not dropped because luxury was not on par with competitors. On the contrary, pricing on competitors is even more out of whack now, relative to what you get.

The real problem is that the EV market is running out of early adopters to buy these cars and now needs to convert over the traditional buyers. When shopping for a $100K luxury 4 door, the Model S is way behind on comfort and luxury. Like about 100 miles behind. So now they are lowering the price to go after the M3P buyers to get them to stretch to bigger, faster, and more luxurious offering, when compared to a Model 3, not compared to a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, big 4 door luxury car.

The Tesla utilitarian interior design is certainly not for everyone. But I’ll take the Tesla integrated UI over any of the competitors. And I’m happy to be rid of the excess buttons and other controls (except turn signals and horn 🙂). The Tesla seats aren’t as nice, but new sound system is excellent along with addition of wireless chargers, cooling seats and fabric textures.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this "upgrade" and my questions are:

I went from a 21 M3P (lowered with H&R springs) to a Plaid a couple of months ago.

I do not miss anything from the M3P.
Being used to high power cars and about the similar acceleration between 100-200kph, I always felt a bit dissapointed with the M3P loos much power above 100 kph.
The plaid do not loos the punch.

Other things is I thought the Model 3 was not silent on highways. The plaid has the premium feeling for being not that noisy at highway speeds. I had (still have) premium Audis and the model 3 had not much of the premium feeling at all. First time I sat in a Plaid/MS refresh I felt that this is what I need.

The air suspension is comfortable in the soft modes (a lot softer than I am used to), but can be set more stiff in the sport mode or advanced.
I havent really tested the MS on track, I have the feeling that it even if it is quicker it wont have that gokart feeling as the M3P. But I guess the gokart geeling comes from a stiff, not comfortable setup so…

I also like the ventilated seats, I’m not a fan of the fake leather in the model 3. No breathibg and gets warm on drives.
I guess its fake leather in the MS as well but the feeling of the fabric is much better. Togheter with the ventilation, longer dives is not ”sweaty pants”.

The Model S will go around corners faster than a Model 3, stock for stock. However, the 3 definitely FEELS like it handles better. I don’t miss the more nimble 3 at all. The S is in another league, especially the Plaid.
Good to know. I will likely decide today. I need to see how much I need to pay out of pocket to get out of the model 3, since Tesla killed the value.....

Reactions: unk45 and AAKEE
Good to know. I will likely decide today. I need to see how much I need to pay out of pocket to get out of the model 3, since Tesla killed the value.....

@windings, when trading up (cars, houses, etc.), the higher the prices go, the bigger the gap is between them. When they go lower, the gap gets smaller (i.e. more affordable). If you want to upgrade, you want prices to go down!

If you look at what you would have gotten for your car a year ago, it was higher and may have made you feel better, but the amount of money you would have had to pay for the new Plaid would have been even higher. For example (and just an example):

In 2022, Used Model 3 Performance Trade in value - $50,000, New Plaid - $120,000, so $70,000 needed to upgrade.
In 2023, Used Model 3 Performance Trade in value - $35,000, New Plaid - $90,000, so $55,000 needed to upgrade.

These are hypothetical amounts, but it gets the point across.

Good luck with your decision. It's never easy with big purchases. I usually agonize over if I did the right thing (although I haven't with the Plaid, which is telling).

@windings, when trading up (cars, houses, etc.), the higher the prices go, the bigger the gap is between them. When they go lower, the gap gets smaller (i.e. more affordable). If you want to upgrade, you want prices to go down!

If you look at what you would have gotten for your car a year ago, it was higher and may have made you feel better, but the amount of money you would have had to pay for the new Plaid would have been even higher. For example (and just an example):

In 2022, Used Model 3 Performance Trade in value - $50,000, New Plaid - $120,000, so $70,000 needed to upgrade.
In 2023, Used Model 3 Performance Trade in value - $35,000, New Plaid - $90,000, so $55,000 needed to upgrade.

These are hypothetical amounts, but it gets the point across.

Good luck with your decision. It's never easy with big purchases. I usually agonize over if I did the right thing (although I haven't with the Plaid, which is telling).
Very good example! Thanks!