Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MSP new tire $654 installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran over some 1/4" bolt the other day and it went right into my passenger rear tire. I have the stock summer tires. They tried to look at plugging or patching it (local shop, not Tesla), but they said it was too close to the sidewall. They ordered a new tire, which was like $550 or something like that. $30 to install/mount/balance, +tax and state fees, $654 out the door, for one tire! They said these tires have foam in them and they are just expensive. I did not shop the tire, I just wanted it done.

I ran over some 1/4" bolt the other day and it went right into my passenger rear tire. I have the stock summer tires. They tried to look at plugging or patching it (local shop, not Tesla), but they said it was too close to the sidewall. They ordered a new tire, which was like $550 or something like that. $30 to install/mount/balance, +tax and state fees, $654 out the door, for one tire! They said these tires have foam in them and they are just expensive. I did not shop the tire, I just wanted it done.
Expensive cars come with expensive tires.

Next time, buy a car with smaller tires like 17", not 21". That's Chevrolet Bolt EV! Its tires cost around $150 to $200's.

I don't understand why people buy a Tesla then complain it's so expensive!

ok.. you paid for convenience (and a bit of ignorance).. thanks for sharing
Ignorance of what though? The car is new, only one tire is damaged so I want to match it. The factory tire from Tire Rack is $543.10. I paid $7.00 more than that. I don't think I was charged a lot for anything they did, it's just that these are expensive tires on these cars.

Remember, the S weighs 5000 lbs. So, you're buying a heavy duty, low profile tire with a high speed and load rating and foam for "noise reduction." It ain't cheap.

When these 4 wear out, you can replace with normal michelins or continentals from a 3rd party tire shop and save some cash.