Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MXLR Instrument Cluster Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 2022 MXLR last week and everything appeared to be just fine. However, I am having an issue where the instrument panel / cluster over the yoke will not display. The only way to get the instrument cluster to display is to do a soft reboot of the vehicle by pushing in the two steering wheel buttons. The car will then be fine for the balance of the drive. Next time I get in the car the instrument cluster will be off and the car will need soft rebooted again.

This looks like a software issue, like the instrument cluster does not wake from some sort of sleep state. Often, even thought the instrument panel is "black", you can tell that a backlight is on for the instrument panel screen.

Has anyone seen this or does anyone have any guidance? I have been searching through the forums and not found a match yet. Tesla support has been impossible to reach, and I have a service appointment scheduled for almost a month from now to review this issue. This would not be nearly the annoyance it is if the car could at least mimic the display on a Model Y where speed and proximity, etc. could be displayed on the center display.

Help!

I picked up my 2022 MXLR last week and everything appeared to be just fine. However, I am having an issue where the instrument panel / cluster over the yoke will not display. The only way to get the instrument cluster to display is to do a soft reboot of the vehicle by pushing in the two steering wheel buttons. The car will then be fine for the balance of the drive. Next time I get in the car the instrument cluster will be off and the car will need soft rebooted again.

This looks like a software issue, like the instrument cluster does not wake from some sort of sleep state. Often, even thought the instrument panel is "black", you can tell that a backlight is on for the instrument panel screen.

Has anyone seen this or does anyone have any guidance? I have been searching through the forums and not found a match yet. Tesla support has been impossible to reach, and I have a service appointment scheduled for almost a month from now to review this issue. This would not be nearly the annoyance it is if the car could at least mimic the display on a Model Y where speed and proximity, etc. could be displayed on the center display.

Help!
You need to open a service ticket. No one here is going to be able to help you much.

I think most of us here have experienced a display crash a couple of times in the life of our cars. But if it repeats often you need to open a service case. SC can log in to the car and go through the logs. My guess is a display crash such as you have described, will be logged vociferously.

Having the same issues with 2023 model x LR. Is it solved fir you?
Sudipta, this issue has been resolved. It is an issue that requires a CPU replacement. If the lead time is too long for a service appointment, then I recommend following DSolie's recommendation above and just driving into the dealership since this is technically a safety issue. The local dealership thought they fixed it multiple times without the CPU replacement, but the issue kept coming back until the processor was replaced. My local Tesla dealership had my X for about 5 days to perform this repair. The vehicle has worked without issue for the last six months since I had the issue fixed. Good luck!