Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delamination / Bubbles behind Instrument Cluster after eMMC replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2017 Model X (40k miles) in for eMMC replacement yetserday and picked it up today. As soon as I got in the car I noticed a large air bubble behind the instrument cluster screen. Went back in to let them know, but both the Service Manager and Dealer Manager couldn’t give a damn - both were rude and completely uncaring. Basically said it’s known problem and car is out of warranty so nothing they could/would do even though it occurred while the car was with them. Absolutely appalling - and apparently no way to escalate a complaint.

Several have posted about a similar experience on the Model S boards. Since damage to the instrument cluster is clearly a safety concern, I have reported to NHTSA and I would encourage anybody affected by this problem to do the same. It only takes 2 minutes to file a report.

I had my eMMC replaced a few years ago. I thought the same thing. There is a screen protector on the new LCD that the techs forget to remove. You can push on the upper arch of the instrument cluster housing to barely see the edge of the instrument cluster LCD. I was able to peel off the protective layer without dash disassembly. I hope this is the case for you.