Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MY EPA Range Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the 2022 MY EPA range estimates are now available on Fueleconomy.gov

Probably reading too much into this but I thought it was interesting the 2022 MYLR's city efficiency decreased from 131 MPGe to 127 MPGe. I'm assuming this is due to the increase in battery size (77 to 82? or new 4680s?) or changes to the motor?

/* Slowly learning and educating myself about the EV world and waiting to officially join the MY ownership club in 2022 */

The thing to remember is you cannot compare milage from a Tesla to a gas car. Too many owners do this and think their battery is dying. That is not correct. A gas car only uses gas to travel. A Telsa uses the battery for everything. It loses battery while parked, using Sentry, going fast speeds, etc. So, take into consideration all factors before reading too much into these reports.

The thing to remember is you cannot compare milage from a Tesla to a gas car. Too many owners do this and think their battery is dying. That is not correct. A gas car only uses gas to travel. A Telsa uses the battery for everything. It loses battery while parked, using Sentry, going fast speeds, etc. So, take into consideration all factors before reading too much into these reports.
I'm curious what you think runs the stereo, AC, heater, computer in a gas car if it's not gas?

• Informative
Reactions: dino007 and Rocky_H
I'm curious what you think runs the stereo, AC, heater, computer in a gas car if it's not gas?
In an ICE vehicle only 25% to 30% of the energy stored in a gallon of gas is available to power the vehicle. The rest, up to 75%, is lost to friction of moving parts and heat (mostly in the engine's exhaust.) One result of burning the gas is it is easy to capture some of the waste heat to warm the engine and the passenger cabin. The electric vehicle has to either generate heat using energy from the battery or else the heat pump needs to be used to scavenge heat from other sources.